PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Care Seminars?

Steve
07-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Have you ever thought of running a lawn care seminar? WOuld this be a good way to gain new customers?

Check out this site.

http://www.greengiantlawncare.com/seminars.html

tiedeman
07-09-2007, 09:55 PM
About 5 years ago I tried to put together a type of trade show and seminar for the central michigan area. I had very little support, only about a dozen companies, so I abandoned the idea after a few months.

Steve
07-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Could you explain to us more about what you wanted to do with that plan? What would it consist of?

Do you think there would be an interest if you conducted seminars in different neighborhoods about lawn care and fertilization? Would this help promote your business?

tiedeman
07-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Well, I was going to have a trade show of where reps from different companies could come and show off their products. I also was going to have guest speakers, outdoor training areas, business training, etc.

Steve
07-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Do you wonder if having lawn seminars in your neighborhood would help boost your goodwill and business name within your community?

tiedeman
07-12-2007, 06:39 PM
I think that if something like that was here it would be great for fellow green industry professional and pull a lot of us together. I don't know if other businesses or community members in the area would like at it as a big deal.

Steve
07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
I think the http://www.greengiantlawncare.com/seminars.html site positions their semiars to be for the public. Maybe they are able to teach local residents about lawn care and ultimately the resident would hopefully decide to use that lco to service their lawn.

At the very least you would come across as an expert in your field.

tiedeman
07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
I personally feel trying to teach customers or other local residents will eventually back fire on you

Steve
07-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Are there topics you could discuss in neighborhood seminars that would help your business grow?

Steve
07-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Here is a flyer that might ive you ideas on how to make your own community seminar.

tiedeman
07-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Well, my whole goal is first to get the industry in the area up to par in regards to business practices, insurance, regulations, transportation laws, employee training and payroll, etc.

After that, then I would like to move onto the homeowners and educate them as much as possible

Steve
07-17-2007, 07:07 PM
There are some good ideas then to make the videos on!

tiedeman
07-17-2007, 07:51 PM
ahhh....you got me LMAO

Little's
07-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Here where I live in the Far Northern California, we have a show twice a year (spring and fall) called the Home and Garden Show. It is put on at the local fairgrounds. It gives all the local businesses in the home and garden industry to showcase their business and products. it goes over very well and is a great place to hand out business cards and offers a lot of networking possibilities.

Steve
07-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Have you ever taken part in the show? How was the response? What type of things did you do for promotion at the show?

Little's
07-18-2007, 01:41 AM
I never took part in the show, mostly because I love browsing through it. The food is good too! Mostly I would talk to people at the different landscape materials companies, the mower shop exhibits, the nurseries, etc. and get to know them. exchange business cards and move on. The best thing I learned was to follow up with the people after trading cards. For example, I would visit them a few days later or call them and reintroduce myself and let them know I didnt forget about them. Buy a plant from them, or whatever it takes for them to remember me the next time an opportunity arises that they will need my services.
Which brings up another point. Something I do at least once per year is buy a nice little gift for my main customers to let them know I appreciate their business. Like maybe a cookie platter, or a candy basket around easter time, etc. The ladies really appreciate it. I wonder if anyone else does this.
I do this for the nursery I buy most of my plants from also.