PDA

View Full Version : Narrow fence gate marketing?

Steve
04-27-2007, 07:42 PM
You never know what will land you a job. Here is a really interesting point. This lco landed a job because he was able to tell the customer he could get his equipment through a narrow fence gate. That is what it took to get the job and it worked! Is this an issue in your area? Could you market that you can service lawns behind narrow gates? Would that help you attract more customers?

It's all about the green (http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?url=/misc/zoom.pbs&Site=BK&Date=20070427&Category=LIFE07&ArtNo=704270313&Ref=AR&Profile=1005) - For years, Ursula Ryan took care of her lawn and yard. Then arthritis took hold in her legs, making it too difficult for her to maintain her 3 2/3 4-acre lot in Hyde Park. She looked for a lawn maintenance company to care for her yard, but was turned down by several because none could get their ride-along mowers through her backyard's narrow gate to mow the lawn. And no one was willing to use a smaller walk-along mower for the back lawn.

Then she saw an ad for Jansen's Lawn Care in Hyde Park. "Bill (Jansen) said to me, 'No, it's not a problem,' " Ryan said of the narrow gate. " 'We'll ride the front, we'll walk the back.' "

Ryan hired Jansen to mow her lawn, trim her bushes and otherwise maintain her yard every two weeks. At times, Jansen has left Ryan notes, asking if she wanted a bald spot on her lawn seeded, unsightly brush removed and such. Once, he arranged to have an unwanted tree cut down.

tiedeman
04-27-2007, 07:46 PM
That is funny you have that article. Just this past week there were two properties with fenced in yards that I had to measure first to make sure I could get in there with my 48"

Steve
04-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Have you ever found yourself turning down jobs because you couldn't fit into the yards?

Is it worth having a smaller mower to do the jobs like this?

tiedeman
04-27-2007, 11:23 PM
This year I have only turned down one job so far. But in the past 5 years, I at least turn down one job a year because of a gated backyard