PDA

View Full Version : Free publicity

KimKriel
03-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Tonight we went to a neighboring township board meeting, we had put a bid in to do lawns. Unfortunatly we were underbid. However after the meeting we were talking to a lady that had been at the meeting for a different topic. We were discussing our bid and then we told her about an idea we had about offering our services to a homeowner that needed help with their lawn. How shocked were we when she told us she wrote for the local newspaper and had some great ideas about a write up and some kind of ideal for readers to submit some one in need for the service(almost like a contest). We told her we will provide lawn care for the entire season, gave her our business card and will be talking to her early next week. So all was not lost.

Steve
03-28-2007, 11:46 PM
WOW!

You are saying this would be like a contest? Any thoughts on how so?

Would you maybe clean up a yard that is voted the ugliest or something like that?

What are some of your thoughts on that?

KimKriel
03-28-2007, 11:50 PM
She actually thought it might be like a letter contest (wirte about someone deserving) and then the best letter will be chosen. I am thinking that not only the write up but the whole contest thing will generate alot of attention.

Steve
03-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi KimKriel,

This is my view. I think you might get more bang for the buck if you do this with different people throughout the year. Then you can create a new story based on what that family is dealing with and you can show before and after pictures.

If you do it for just one person all year, you get one story and then most likely no more media attention.

Helping many people may build your level of good will within your community. It will also give your contact at the newspaper more content to write about.

Let me know what you think of this.

KimKriel
03-29-2007, 09:51 PM
That is a very good idea. The reporter got back with me today and we are planning a meeting for next week. She asked to to write down any specifics I want in the article she is featuring on our company with the essay contest. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Steve
03-30-2007, 04:17 PM
I found another article that had a yard cleanup contest here
http://www.daily-times.com/ci_5535662

but I am still looking for more ideas.