PDA

View Full Version : Running for mayor a good promotional idea?

Steve
01-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Would you ever want to run for mayor?

Do you think it would help bring attention to your business, if you won or not?

Sam ‘Sign Man’ Shaw enters ring to be next mayor (http://www.tmnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3927&Itemid=43) - Shaw owns a landscaping business and operates other small business ventures. He said it’s not feasible for him to pay the $75 annual fee to join the chamber of commerce.

If elected mayor, he said he would find ways to help the poorer people in the city get more involved in local affairs.

While he hasn’t held any public offices, he said it doesn’t take a formal education or money to run the city.

“I’m on a limited income, and I have three years of college,” Shaw said. “My education would be through experience as much as through book knowledge.”

gatewayuser
01-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Well I am on town council where I live which has helped me meet many important people in Ohio. Sure it can help your business but that was not the reason I wanted to be elected. I wanted to because I love my town.

Steve
01-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Oh that sounds exciting! How long have you served? How was the process of getting elected?

gatewayuser
01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 11 2007,7:45)]Oh that sounds exciting! How long have you served? How was the process of getting elected?
This is my 2nd year and the process was great I had to go around and have a petition signed by a certain amount of residents to be able to run. No one ran against me either.

Steve
01-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Very neat! Would you ever run for anything other positions in your future? Mayor or any other positions?

gatewayuser
01-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 11 2007,8:45)]Very neat! Would you ever run for anything other positions in your future? Mayor or any other positions?
Well I have been nominated for a thing called issue 2 district 17 which decides where 10-20 million dollars goes for public works and road projects. The voting has begun so we will see what happens.

Steve
01-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh that is fascinating!

Can you describe the initial spark that pushed you to do this? Was it a desire to fight rising taxes? A dislike of the current direction or what?

gatewayuser
01-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Mostly the lack of younger people caring about government involvement and I just love my town that much. Also I saw improvements that our area needed and I wanted to be able to help get those things accomplished which now I am happy to say are.