PDA

View Full Version : Link Exchange for Lawn Care Websites

ashburg
01-23-2008, 02:08 PM
What's up guys...I wanted to start a thread to see if anyone would be interested in exchanging links to their site; I'll put a link to your website on my website if you put a link to my website on your website.

This is a great way to build traffic, particularly where high "rank" and high indexing are concerned.

The more "backlinks" you have to your site from other sites, the higher rank Google will give you - especially if those backlinks are on a related website.

It wouldn't make sense for me to link to a LOCAL competitor, so please, distantly related companies only.

I look forward to working with you for the betterment of both of our businesses!

Reply to this thread if you are interested, intrigued, or if you have a question.

ritchiem
01-23-2008, 02:21 PM
what is your traffic like? Do you have an Alexa ranking yet?

ashburg
01-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Well, I get about 250 visits a month. Up until now, I have not gone after backlinks, only natural rank. The first few months the site was up, I had great rank. After a while, rank got lower as it does, so here I am!

on the cpanel just now, I checked traffic and all...looks like googlebot is visiting daily.

I try to do fresh material on my blog.

Hope it's good enough to merit some exchanges - maybe some more fresh, newer sites would be more interested in exchanging.

thanks,

Steve
01-23-2008, 07:35 PM
I am always learning about this stuff and I was wondering, does it help if your lawn care business website is posted in a post say here on the forum?

Does that help?

ashburg
01-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 23 2008,8:35)]I am always learning about this stuff and I was wondering, does it help if your lawn care business website is posted in a post say here on the forum?

Does that help?
absolutely, it helps. As long as this site isn't in a bad hosting neighborhood or on google's blacklist lol

I don't know if google bombing still works...I think they fixed that, so that's not an issue.

I'd say yes, it helps - it helps because the more opportunities you present to be found by the Search Engine Spiders, the better chance you have of winning the popularity contest that google/yahoo/msn/etc consider to be precious.

Steve
01-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Ashley,

What would you say most people would look for when they looked for a lawn care operator in your area and how do you rank on that list?

Maybe I could offer some suggestions on that?

ashburg
01-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 23 2008,9:00)]Ashley,

What would you say most people would look for when they looked for a lawn care operator in your area and how do you rank on that list?

Maybe I could offer some suggestions on that?
I think they're just looking...whoever they call is just another yard guy. You have to wow them - create a "Raving Fan (http://books.google.com/books?id=h4_axFpCi0AC&dq=raving+fan+book&pg=PP1&ots=TdMUGkZqGf&sig=QKlbNNC9PYjW_XFo2jS01HtqfNU&hl=en&prev=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=raving+fan+book&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail#PPP4,M1)", and earn referral based business.

Well, I try to rank highest - I'm in it to win it

ashburg
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Jan. 23 2008,3:21)]what is your traffic like? *Do you have an Alexa ranking yet?
I don't guess I have an alexa rating

StartALawnCareBusiness
01-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi Ashley:

My site gives free links to lawn care business websites such as yours.

I am not a link farm or anything nefarious...just testing a theory.

And, of course, I welcome a return link from you.

Cheers:

Keith

Steve
01-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Ashley,

How has it been, to be a member of SCBDC (http://www.scbdc.com/bdc-gateway-tue/bdc-gateway-tue-index.htm)

How did you get involved with that group and what do you think you got most out of it?

ashburg
01-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Jan. 23 2008,10:02)]Ashley,

How has it been, to be a member of SCBDC (http://www.scbdc.com/bdc-gateway-tue/bdc-gateway-tue-index.htm)

How did you get involved with that group and what do you think you got most out of it?
I first found out about the BDC through the Chamber of Commerce. I was invited and joined soon thereafter.

Networking or "lead" groups are a great way to get started. They give you the opportunity to keep sharp in your people skills, your public speaking skills, and they are often in a posh setting which makes you feel important.

I made some really good lifelong friends in the BDC.

However:

After a while, with SOME businesses, there comes a time when you might decide to leave the group. It is time consuming (if you add up your participation time and multiply that times your cost per hour per man, it really adds up), it costs money to be a member (~$240/year plus meals [at that posh restaurant]), and is often at a very early hour in the morning (to accomodate those who have to be at "work" at 8am.

I was given alot of "pity" leads. It is in each member's best interest to give leads (because they're vying for you to give them leads). So what happens sometimes is that people will "come up" with something for you to do as opposed to giving you a real, solid, high paying referral.

THE best business, at least in my opinion, comes from referrals. My business is based on referrals almost 100%. I do go for new customers in the winter with advertising in various ways, but after that, it's all word of mouth. With a solid customer base like that, you have a solid business.

Thanks for asking, you are a master of making people talk about what they are passionate about and feel good about themselves, which is a highly valuable marketing tool when done with sincerity - once I get moved tomorrow (bought a new house), I'll read over more about what you do and get some more tips from you. One thing I want to do that I think this forum would help me with is to polish up my website - rounded corners, maybe some flash. We'll get the ball rolling soon!

take care and thanks,

ashburg
01-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Quote[/b] (StartALawnCareBusiness @ Jan. 23 2008,9:40)]Hi Ashley:

My site gives free links to lawn care business websites such as yours. *

I am not a link farm or anything nefarious...just testing a theory.

And, of course, I welcome a return link from you.

Cheers:

Keith
Keith, what's your key word phrase to link from that I need to put on my site?

thanks,

ritchiem
01-24-2008, 08:10 AM
The Lawn Blog will share links with you. I'll have you on every page in the "Partners" section. You can use this info for me,

The Lawn Blog Your Information Source on Everything Green, Lawn Care, Landscaping, Lawn Care Marketing

Cheers,

ashburg
01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Man, you are so ON....I put The Lawn Blog link on my first page, albeit at the bottom with the rest of the links.

What do I do now to get my link on your blog?

thanks!!
ash

ritchiem
01-24-2008, 09:27 AM
It has been on there all day...already done

ritchiem
01-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Also if you ever wanted to contribute to The Lawn Blog and get noticed even more, let me know. Always on the lookout for new authors.

ashburg
01-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Jan. 24 2008,10:29)]Also if you ever wanted to contribute to The Lawn Blog and get noticed even more, let me know. *Always on the lookout for new authors.
I'm 100% interested. I'm moving today, so I'll be out of pocket for about 48 hours, but once I get logged back on, I'll write up a storm on there for sure.

thanks for the invite!
ash

ashburg
01-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Jan. 24 2008,10:27)]It has been on there all day...already done
awww man! Nice!!...thanks a million!!
ash

Steve
01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Richard,

What part of your blog do you have your lawn care business links?

For this to work, is it more important that it's on a front main page or is this more for search engines and if the link appears anywhere on your site, it's good?

ritchiem
01-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Well I cover all of the bases for my links. I have them on every page under 'Partners'. It is best to have links no more then 2 pages in...burring it too far into your site won't work as search engines won't index. Be careful of sharing links with companies that won't put your links within the first 2 pages of their site.

ashburg
01-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Roger that http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/yourock.gif

Steve
01-25-2008, 02:35 AM
Richard, you do get me thinking all the time.

Do you have any thoughts on how we could implement some links on here? Would that be helpful?

What if I put them on the webring drop down list? Would that be helpful at all or no?

ritchiem
01-25-2008, 06:37 AM
Having a webring or a blogroll would help lesser ranked pages rise in their rankings as long as every other part of their SEO is implemented. However every member of the forum has the opportunity of putting their links in their signature in every post. But it could still be beneficial to have stationary links in a stored page or menu that never changes.

Steve
01-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Yea I guess that is true, because at times we do see lawn care business owners do a search for their business and then this forum pops up.

In a previous post you said

Quote[/b] ]Do you have an Alexa ranking yet?

Can you tell us a little about what that is and how it helps you?

ritchiem
01-25-2008, 07:42 AM
In November 2005 the Alexa Web Information Service version 1.0 was released on the Amazon.com Web Services platform. Alexa Web Information Service.

In December 2005 the Alexa Web Search Platform was released in limited beta, allowing developers to have direct access to access to Alexa's infrastructure to create wholly new services based on Alexa vast repository of Web data. Alexa Web Search Platform.

Alexa computes traffic rankings by analyzing the Web usage of millions of Alexa Toolbar users. The information is sorted, sifted, anonymized, counted, and computed, until, finally, they get the traffic rankings shown in the Alexa service. The process is relatively complex.

And it is all based around the Alexa toolbar. The first Alexa toolbar was released in 1997. Now, over 10 million downloads later, the Alexa toolbar is global and more popular than ever.

Simply by using the toolbar each member contributes valuable information about the web, how it is used, what is important and what is not. This information is returned to the community as Related Links, Traffic Rankings and more.

http://thelawnblog.com/gopher/alexa_screegrab.jpg

ritchiem
01-25-2008, 08:08 AM
So make sure to download the alexa toolbar and visit my site today http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Alexa Toolbar (http://www.alexa.com/site/download?mode=final&amzn_id=)

ashburg
01-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Richard - I put a link to The Lawn Blog on my blog, check it out

Thanks again for the lawn care link exchange http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/yourock.gif

ritchiem
01-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Thank you very much Ashley...some good articles you have there on your blog. Do you plan on writing more this year? About how often do you post to it?

ashburg
01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Jan. 29 2008,9:12)]Thank you very much Ashley...some good articles you have there on your blog. *Do you plan on writing more this year? *About how often do you post to it?
Richard - I don't know what made me think of this, but have you heard of www.copyscape.com ? Its a good way to make sure that your original stuff is not being hijacked, and therefore diluted in uniqueness. I have used automatic blogging software in the past that takes rss feeds and posts them to blog, but I stopped because I figured that google, yahoo, msn, etc frowned on repeat data....is that true to your knowledge?

I post now and then...only when I have something significant I want to share or when I'm feeling extra competitive (what kills me is when I type in lawn care on google and some URL comes up in a high rank spot that doesn't have any content or is a local company that hires illegals, etc).

ritchiem
01-29-2008, 09:08 AM
A Google penalty happens when Google's search engine's algorithm detects some kind of trickery being used on a website. Some webmaster's (and quite a few SEO companies) rely on trickery to manipulate search engines into thinking their websites are larger and more popular than they truly are, all in the hope of achieving better search engine ranking.

When a search engine like Google detects something that violates their published guidelines for legitimate websites, they will do one of two things they will either penalize the website by lowering its search engine ranking, or kick your butt to the curb and drop you totally.

If you repeat / duplicate entire pages of content on your website, you run the risk of incurring a duplicate content penalty from Google and suffering lower search engine ranking as a result or possibly having your website removed from their database entirely.

Now to what you are talking about...posting rss feeds to your blog / website is fine imo. Posting original content is a sure way to rise among the search engines thats for sure. But you are not going to get dinged for posting excerpts from articles. If you do use someones content for your website I would first ask for permission, and then place a link back to their site within the article. Nothing worse then someone copy and paste an entire article with no thanks, or links to the original author.

Google really has no way of finding out who did the original content. It could have been in print and someone typed it out...doesn't mean that now they hold the rights. So that is where website services such as www.copyscape.com come into play. But then again all they do is search the web using 'search engines' to find duplicate content, or what appears to be duplicate content and report it back to you. You still need to sift through it all and determine whether or not it is viable. At least it is free...well the basic service is.

Now about people using / thefting your material...that is an issue. It is really a hard sell...this being the internet and all, where anyone can do anything. Copy and Pasting websites really get on my nerves. Especially when they make tons of cash using Google adsense...grrrr!

Did I shed any light...or did I just ramble?

Steve
01-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Hi Richard,

When I look at the image you posted I see a chart but it shows no data on the chart.

How does such a site help you if it shows you no data?

http://thelawnblog.com/gopher/alexa_screegrab.jpg

ritchiem
01-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Alexa is a whos who of the internet and only charts the top 100,000 sites. In fact www.gophergraphics.com is getting there. I however still have a ways to go. The site offers stats on where you are ranked and shows what sites link to you. It is all part of the open source directory.

ashburg
01-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Richard - you did indeed shed some light on the copy subject, thanks. Yes, cl0aking and such is for sure a way to get booted or de-ranked. I'm pretty sure that being on the same c-block host as cl0akers is a way to get on the google bad list too...it's what they call a "bad neighborhood" for hosting.

Ok, well, I'll keep the rss to blog in mind when I write articles - I'll include links to my website in the articles. You certanly have my permission to use my articles.

ttyl,
ash

Steve
01-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi Richard,

Quote[/b] ]Alexa is a whos who of the internet and only charts the top 100,000 sites.

I don't know anything about this, but why not show the top million sites? Or just rank your site amongst all sites?

If one has a site that isn't within the top 100,000 and they don't show up on the chart then I am guessing there is no useful information to be gleaned from such a site unless you are pretty big.

Is that the case or am I missing the bigger picture?

ritchiem
01-29-2008, 11:39 AM
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/gophergraphics.com

Have you look at your page?

The chart is a tease yes...would be nice to be on it.