PDA

View Full Version : Making our own website

JODY84
08-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Okay we are ready to start up a website. I think I have enough knowledge to do it myself but I was wondering if any of you had any tips or advice.

The domain we wanted "AlligatorLawn.com" is taken but

AliigatorLawnCare.com
Alligator-Lawn.com

are available.

What web host should we use?

Which worked well for you??

Thanks

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Steve
08-31-2007, 04:56 PM
My view is go with AlligatorLawnCare.com

Make sure you "Alligator" in the post you made you had the wrong spelling and I'd hate to see you register a domain you really didn't want.

It's difficult to tell people go to my site when it has dashes in it.

What will you be using for your website to create it? Will you be using one of our free web templates or creating it from scratch?

Godaddy.com has been a favorite here to host sites.

Keep us posted.

JODY84
08-31-2007, 10:13 PM
Opps that was a typo.

We went with AlligatorLawnCare.com

And used the 1&1 as the host.

I just checked out the templates here and they are great!
But I'm not 100 percent sure how to do it...but I can teach myself!!

One question though. Once I download the templetes, can I edit them as I wish. Like adding different fonts, backrounds, buttons and logos? Or do I have to use the ones they have already?

ritchiem
08-31-2007, 10:17 PM
you can edit them all as you wish...all anyone asks is that you leave the creators line in...ie...

site created by www.gophergraphics.com

JODY84
09-01-2007, 12:59 PM
That won't be a prob if I can figure out HOW to edit that stuff!! lol

Steve
09-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Do you have an html editor?

JODY84
09-01-2007, 03:47 PM
I downloaded a free trial of Dreamweaver, do you know if there's something a bit easier? I can edit the text fine but I have trouble when I try to make the tables bigger (it shows a bunch of white space)

I guess it just takes time to learn...

Steve
09-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Dreamweaver can be tough, it's a very complex program.

Can you put what you have for your website online and post the link? Then we can look at it and look at the code to offer suggestions.

ritchiem
09-01-2007, 06:47 PM
ya sometimes I forget how frustrating it was using dreamweaver when I started out. I really haven't used many other editors besides hand coding in notebook. I would recommend using some of the tutorials that adobe/macromedia puts out.

But of course, if you need help designing and editing your site my services are always here.

JODY84
09-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't have anything yet.

I know how I want it to look, but I'm still trying to figure out to do it.

I know basic HTML, so I could do the coding in notebook but I think I have to upgrade my 'package' with my web host.

If I did use your services would I be able to go back and edit something if need be?

pnplawn
10-11-2007, 09:13 PM
How is this site comeing?

landonkade
10-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Aug. 31 2007,4:56)]My view is go with AlligatorLawnCare.com

Make sure you "Alligator" in the post you made you had the wrong spelling and I'd hate to see you register a domain you really didn't want.

What will you be using for your website to create it? Will you be using one of our free web templates or creating it from scratch?

Keep us posted.
what web template are the most downloaded. do u get a lot of responces/leads off the website by advertising it. I used to have a online business, but didnt go to well, and i know how every thing works about keywords and such, but might need some help. If i decide to do a web template

pnplawn
10-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Quote[/b] (landonkade @ Oct. 11 2007,9:25)]Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Aug. 31 2007,4:56)]My view is go with AlligatorLawnCare.com

Keep us posted.
what web template are the most downloaded. do u get a lot of responces/leads off the website by advertising it. I used to have a online business, but didnt go to well, and i know how every thing works about keywords and such, but might need some help. If i decide to do a web template.
Ill answer dsome of your questions. Having a for me has been very good. I have had many calls from people looking for lawn care by searching for lawn care on google, in my area. Also having a website can get your company exposed.

landonkade
10-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Quote[/b] (pnplawn @ Oct. 11 2007,9:37)]Quote[/b] (landonkade @ Oct. 11 2007,9:25)]Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Aug. 31 2007,4:56)]My view is go with AlligatorLawnCare.com

Keep us posted.
what web template are the most downloaded. do u get a lot of responces/leads off the website by advertising it. I used to have a online business, but didnt go to well, and i know how every thing works about keywords and such, but might need some help. If i decide to do a web template.
Ill answer dsome of your questions. Having a for me has been very good. I have had many calls from people looking for lawn care by searching for lawn care on google, in my area. Also having a website can get your company exposed.
i had a advertising bench here in town that faces the highway at a red light. I paid $55 a month and got no return. I dont know if it was the stuff i was selling on the website or not. But i spent more on advertising than what i was making

Steve
10-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Quote[/b] ]i had a advertising bench here in town that faces the highway at a red light. I paid $55 a month and got no return. I dont know if it was the stuff i was selling on the website or not. But i spent more on advertising than what i was making

What were you advertising?

landonkade
10-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Oct. 11 2007,9:53)]Quote[/b] ]i had a advertising bench here in town that faces the highway at a red light. I paid $55 a month and got no return. I dont know if it was the stuff i was selling on the website or not. But i spent more on advertising than what i was making

What were you advertising?
smc products,<**-home accents, u make up your own domain name and it was directly linked to the smc warehouse for orders

smcorp.com

Steve
10-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Oh that is fascinating! I know what you are talking about.

Can you tell me what got you interested in that and what was your reaction to being involved in it?

landonkade
10-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Oct. 11 2007,11:14)]Oh that is fascinating! I know what you are talking about.

Can you tell me what got you interested in that and what was your reaction to being involved in it?
they said that u can make good profits selling, like a $80.00 item plus shipping , your cost would be $26.65. So thats a $53.35 profit. I guess u would have to be really good at selling. I still go to the chat rooms that they have to talk to other smcers that are successful in the business.

Steve
10-11-2007, 11:25 PM
What is your view on why you got out of it?

Do you feel this experience helped you push forwards to your lawn care business?

landonkade
10-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Oct. 11 2007,11:25)]What is your view on why you got out of it?

Do you feel this experience helped you push forwards to your lawn care business?
not much of a traffic responce. I learned since i tried 1 business and it failed, y not try to start a different business. The lawn care is 10 times better on profit and alot funer

Steve
10-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Would you recommend the SMC business to others or would you suggest they steer clear?

landonkade
10-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Quote[/b] (Team Gopher @ Oct. 11 2007,11:33)]Would you recommend the SMC business to others or would you suggest they steer clear?
if u are good at selling home accents than go for it, but other wise steer away