PDA

View Full Version : Firing on Explorer

Steve
05-04-2006, 06:58 AM
How funny is this! I guess some people really dislike Microsoft enough to put all their time into trying to get others to switch to Firefox. Oh and they make a few bucks doing it too.

Which browser do you use now?

Firing on Explorer
If you're reading Out of Site with Internet Explore, beware: Your friends may soon try to make a buck off of you. Mega-fans of Mozilla Corp.'s Firefox Web browser who call themselves "political activists" have set into motion a campaign to switch users from IE to Firefox.

According to InfoWorld.com: (http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/04/25/77760_HNiefirefox_1.html) "The Explorer Destroyer Web site . . . offers Web-site owners scripting technology that will detect if a visitor is running IE. If so, an alert will appear directing them to download Firefox either to view the site better or at all. Whenever a visitor to a Web site using the group's technology switches to Firefox from IE, the owner of the Web site will get the referral fee if they have signed up for Google's AdSense program."

It also allows the owners three levels of alerts for their IE users: "gentle encouragement," "semi-serious" or "dead serious."

tiedeman
05-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I personally don't like that. It's kind of like an invasion of privacy. You go to a site, and the site basically says hey I know what you are using. It was like a site I went to about a year ago of where they could personally open my dvd drive and I could do nothing about it

Steve
05-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Troy,

Did you know that every web site can read which web browser you use?

tiedeman
05-10-2006, 03:45 PM
I know...I don't like it.

I don't like it that anybody can see your ISP number

Steve
05-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I agree with you.