PDA

View Full Version : Competing with yourself?

Steve
04-02-2006, 05:57 PM
I was just on one of our friend's website who was promoting making web sites. Then on the right side a few inches away there was a competing ad for the same service by another company?

Now he isn't alone, this is happening more and more to other websites as well.

Is anyone else using these ads by google and finding you are putting competitors right on your site?

I don't use the "ads by google" service, but do you find this worth it?

ritchiem
04-03-2006, 08:24 AM
That is terrible, however I have seen it before. Just like on ebay, you will try to sell something for $100.00 and in the left hand side there is "Check out others like this" for $25.00... http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

You need to make sure that you are being as original in your keywords as possible. Pull yourself away from the pack. I know it is hard, but blended advertising like google ad sense is not good for business.

Steve
04-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi ritchiem,

Do you have any idea what Google pays for doing this? Why does anyone bother with this?

ritchiem
04-03-2006, 09:39 AM
I am not sure...I do know it is a per click basis. I never really looked into it.

Billz
04-03-2006, 10:15 AM
I talked to a guy who was interested in making a site for me using the adwords. He said it puts you on the top of googles search results, and also pays him about $75 per month.

Steve
04-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Are you planning on doing that Billz?

Billz
04-03-2006, 04:41 PM
no, I decided to have another guy design my site. He told me there are better ways to get noticed than that, and it seems more professional to me to only advertise lawncare from me! LOL
Once my site is up and running I will be doing an ad blitz and try to get hits on my website. Then I will decide if advertising would work from there.

Steve
04-03-2006, 04:46 PM
What kind of ad blitz do you plan on doing?

tiedeman
04-03-2006, 05:21 PM
I thought about doing the adwords thing, but not have it on my site though

Billz
04-03-2006, 07:53 PM
I am getting alot of responces to the barter idea here, I can advertise on a radio station in exchange for mowing, getting a website in exchance for some lawn renovation work, getting some jackets for a cleanup, getting my truck lettered for 2 months of mowing on a 1 acre lot...I still am not at capacity, and it seems like simply spending a couple hours per week, for a while to grow my business with no money at all, seems like a good idea.

Steve
04-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Bill those are some great things going on.

Quote[/b] ]I can advertise on a radio station in exchange for mowing
Just so you know, I have heard this before. Those of who I have heard it from have said it was a waste of time. Just so you know.

Billz
04-03-2006, 09:07 PM
yeah, i know, but I would try to just get my name out...I am still small, so anything that could get my name out, that I dont have to spend cash on, seems like a good idea. Especially with a website ad on there.