PDA

View Full Version : Do you check search engines for your rankings?

Steve
03-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Do you check search engines for your rankings?

If so how often and what do you search for?

Billz
03-30-2006, 04:31 PM
I have searched for every one of my keywords in my meta tags, and nothing.

Steve
03-31-2006, 02:12 AM
Very interesting!

This is part of the reason why I feel searchh engines have so much further to go to improve. The ability to search out a company based on a certain field located in a certain area seems to be lacking.

ritchiem
03-31-2006, 07:30 AM
It takes a long time for your 'good' SEO practices to get noticed. Have you submitted your site to all of the major engines?

Here are some things to consider for SEO

- Strong Keywords and keep them around 25-30 words
- Good description of site
- Make sure your titles have keywords matched in the same page content
- Content, content, content

I have seen sites with hundreds of keywords and none of them match any content in the site. Therefore you won't get picked up.

Steve
03-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi ritchiem,

Since I know you are knowledgeable in this field, how does your website rank? Is it up where you want it to be or have you found it difficult to get it where you want it?

ritchiem
03-31-2006, 01:14 PM
The Lawn Blog (http://thelawnblog.com) sits very well in all major search engines...well, all but google.com. I am just starting to get indexed by google.

The majority inquires to my site come from searchl.msn.com and yahoo.com.

Steve
03-31-2006, 01:18 PM
What type of key words are you using for searches about the lawn blog?

ritchiem
03-31-2006, 02:08 PM
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"><META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Lawn Blog is a place to educate LCO�s in the Green Industry.">
<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="lawn, blog, turf, evergreen plants, deciduous plants, manicured lawn, grass, dog urine, LCO's">[/QUOTE]

when I find new ones I add to it as well. Your keywords have to be in your site content.

Steve
03-31-2006, 02:29 PM
So when you search for these keywords in the search engines, your site appears in the first few pages?

ritchiem
03-31-2006, 05:00 PM
The majority of my hit from searches are a combination of "Keywords" and "Keyword that match Content". Below are some of the queries I have had

discount nematodes - search.msn.com
office body lanuage - www.google.com
forum for rhizomes grass - search.msn.com
treating dead spots from dog urine in yard - search.msn.com
moles in lawns in ontario - search.sympatico.msn.ca
effect of dog urine on evergreens - search.yahoo.com

and of course

lawn blog - search.yahoo.com, search.msn.com but not google.com

I have about 300 or so logged searches that I have kept track of.

Steve
04-01-2006, 09:39 AM
WOW! We can all learn a lot from you. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif