PDA

View Full Version : Create A Website

Billz
03-14-2006, 02:14 PM
I am ready to create a website. What do I need to do, to get started. I know I have to go somewhere and purchase a domain name...after that I have to find a company to host it? then Create the webpages and upload to their server? Is it that simple really? How much space do I need to have for a site? I see plans with up to 10 gigs of space, and another 10 gigs of bandwidth for downloading, but there probably isnt much need for that in a lawncare site, is there? I would like to get custom email addresses, maybe up to 5...On godaddy.com it seems to have lots of other stuff I have no idea about. I really just want to get a basic site up, and get working on it as I go... Help!!

Bill

MIRACLELAWN
03-14-2006, 02:59 PM
If you want to use one of the Gopher Templates, I will edit the text for the pages in the template and host your website on our servers. The price for this service is $99.00 per year.
You can also register you domain for $12.95 per year. Email me any questions or visit our website http://www.quality-hosts.com

If you need references see this board, we have helped other lawn care companies get on the internet.

Steve

Steve
03-14-2006, 03:01 PM
I am looking forwards to what you create http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Billz
03-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Well for the first time, my company is on the web... tons of thanks to miraclelawn for the help he gave me. I have absolutely no idea with html or anything beyond browsing really, and he sat with me and answered about 100 emails and got me up and running. Thanks again Steve, you are great.
Thanks Gopher for putting the templates up, you guys rule! Here is the first draft really... i'm sure i will be changing it as I get familiar with the web more, and get some of my own pictures too! LOL
Thanks guys.
Bill

www.grandarealandscape.com (http://www.grandarealandscape.com)

Steve
03-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Hi Billz,

I really like your site. If you wanted to in the future you could even put your logo or company name at top if you wanted.
Also thanks for leaving us in the links page. I do appreciate that. It helps attract people to our site and spreads the knowledge.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Billz
03-15-2006, 01:45 PM
I think in a week or so, i will have updated it quite a bit. i wish I would have done this at the beginning of winter, as I am getting busy already estimating, and talking to my customers already. thanks again for the templates, they are very helpful, and to Steve at Quality-hosts.com!

Billz
03-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Hmm, after seeing a few other lawn websites, i think i might have one custom developed for me after all. If I am going to advertise this site everywhere, I want it to be great. I am in need of a site that will catch the search engines too, if anyone offers this service and is looking for some work, contact me at grandarealandscaping@comcast.net

MIRACLELAWN
03-15-2006, 04:22 PM
You can actually take the template you are using and make it look anyway you want. There is alot of potential with that template. A template is just that, a template, you can change anything you want i.e. graphics, text color, fonts, add tables and more... I know that you have FrontPage and with it and some trial and error you can make the website yourself. Just remember when you are working with a page be sure and save it as a different name such as example.html just in case.

As for getting it on the search engines, that has to be done by you submitting the site to the different search engines they will not find you otherwise. Some of the engines are free and some you have to pay. There is also software you can purchase that will automate the submission process, I use WebPosition 4.

You also need to add meta tags to your pages and have a robot.txt file in you root directory. Shoot me an email and I will tell you how to do this.

Steve
03-15-2006, 04:31 PM
How important do you feel the search engines are for LCOs?

Unless you all change my mind I just do not think search engines are the best way for the public to find local service businesses.

Billz
03-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Well, I for one always use search engines... if I were to look for lawncare in my city of grand rapids, I would search for grand rapids lawncare, and would hope a list or at least one company popped up... I really would like to be that top guy! LOL

I guess I will play with the template more... my problem was that I need some different buttons, and wanted to change the header pic a little, maybe get my logo in there, with a grass pic or something...I have the time I guess for a couple weeks to play with it... just scared if I letter it on my truck, I will get hits who look and see I have a couple pages that are of no use to them... I will plug away, thanks again guys!

Billz
03-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Here is the site that made me cringe!!
http://www.kandslandscape.com/

Steve
03-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi Billz,

My first view on this is don't worry about it too much. The site is up at the moment. It's better than not having a site. Go forwards with your lettering and improve your site as you go. You can take it step by step.

Quote[/b] ]Here is the site that made me cringe!!
www.kandslandscape.com
What did you think about their site both good and bad?

MIRACLELAWN
03-15-2006, 05:49 PM
I know that I sign up atleast 2 customers per month sometimes more from my website. I also know that I appear in the top 10 of the search engines if you search for lawn care indianapolis. That is the one thing, you have to design your meta tags and content to your locale, if not, people in you work area will never find you.

Billz
03-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Well, if someone in my area had that website, I would sign up even if I didnt need it. That is the best looking website I have ever seen. It is like I pulled up to mow a lawn in my 1972 pinto with my 25 year old mower poking out, and they pull up in 2006 F-350 and 4 Exmark lazers on the trailor... sure we can both mow the grass, but cmon! LOL
I will start reading all I can about web design, and slowly hopefully get to that level. I will also seek out some web designers here and find out if any need some free lawncare this year!
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

MIRACLELAWN
03-15-2006, 09:05 PM
I am not talking about the Quality Hosts website, I am talking about Miracle Lawn Service website.

Billz
03-15-2006, 09:25 PM
what is your website for the lawn service?

never mind, LOL.

ritchiem
03-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Howdy all http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Good job on getting the website up Billz.

Website are an inexpensive way to have a 24hr sales tool. It never stops working. Good SEO can up your search engine ranks, but you need to make sure that it is done carefully. Too many websites cram as many bad keywords into their meta tags that hurt them rather then help. Also the majority of rankings are all about content. As long as your site has content of what people are looking for and the seach engines are indexing your pages you should sit nice on detailed searches.

Steve
03-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi ritchiem,

Do you have any idea how many new customers your landscape website brings in?

ritchiem
03-17-2006, 10:41 AM
well our url for our site is

Landmark Design (http://landmarkdesign.on.ca)

and we get about 30-50,000 page view per month and 0 customers are generated from that. However, we mostly use are site as a reference tool...an online portfolio that anyone can view. That is where it becomes a great sales tool.

Steve
03-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi ritchiem,

What do you attribute not generating any new customers from your site too?
Because if you are experiencing this then I am sure many many others are.

tiedeman
03-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Quote[/b] (Billz @ Mar. 15 2006,5:43)]Here is the site that made me cringe!!
http://www.kandslandscape.com/
I talked to him before about his site, and he actually designed it himself

ritchiem
03-17-2006, 06:52 PM
well it is not a traffic problem thats for sure. In my opinion it is all about peoples mindset. Let me ask a few questions...

1. Do you search online for a denstist?
2. Do you search online for a plumber?
3. Do you search online for retail products for your home?

Which one did you answer yes to? Consumers are still stuck in the yellowpages. I know I am. What about you? Generally if you are looking for service it needs to be local. And it is hard to find local businesses online unless you know their url. Now I am not saying that this will not change in the future, and I am also not saying that this is the way it is...it is just what is happening on my end.

Billz
03-18-2006, 01:00 AM
To tell you the truth... I use my yellowpages to hold up some houseplants so they dont leak on my floors! I have been using alot of web searches to find alot of things. Although with those things, I still pull them out.

Billz
03-18-2006, 02:22 AM
Does anyone have a picture of grass I could use on my site, as a partial background? I found one online, but it is not cut grass.

ritchiem
03-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Hey Billz,

I posted some pics of some of my work here. (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=6;t=1556) Perhaps they may help.

Billz
03-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Well, what I am looking for is to create a site such as this one, with a background picture on both sides, then the actual white part in the middle, I think this is done by adding a table, but need a pic for the background. Do you think that will work with one of those pics, or should I look for a really big one maybe? I know it will just reproduce itself a bunch...I will try to see if one works. thanks!

Steve
03-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Quote[/b] ] Let me ask a few questions...

1. Do you search online for a denstist?
2. Do you search online for a plumber?
3. Do you search online for retail products for your home?
I would say no to all.