PDA

View Full Version : Why don't websites promote the owner?

Steve
12-01-2005, 08:44 PM
How many websites for lawn care operators have you seen and how many of them promote the owner as the unique selling proposition.
The website would include a picture of the owner on the front page with some sort of commitment or guarantee to the customer. It's this guarantee that makes his company stand out from the rest. His company is not another faceless lco hiding behind a company name but a real person that you can call when you need assistance.

What is your view on this both pro's and con's?

ritchiem
12-01-2005, 09:25 PM
I don't recall seeing any. Perhaps you might see them on a portfolio page, however you don't know that it is them. It would be something that not many people are doing.

And also, I cannot see any con's really. A good picture of the owner shows that he/she is backing up thier company, that they have passion in what they are doing.

I think that this would be a good idea to try out...I am willing.

Steve
12-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Hi ritchiem,

Here is the basic design idea. Please give me your feedback.

This goes along the theory of making the business owner the star.
What makes one company different from another? I feel it is the owner and the owner's ability to perform that personal service. You can make your company stand out by standing out yourself.
As a consumer, who would you rather choose to provide you service? A company where you know the owner or a company whom you don't know who is in charge?
Personally, I would feel a lot better letting someone on my property providing me a service if I knew them. So then the goal is to sell yourself through your website and in turn this will sell your company.

Let me know what you think.

ritchiem
12-02-2005, 11:37 PM
It is the salesman tactic...It instills trust. Recognition is a good thing...I always say, "The client should only have to deal with one person...the sale, the delivery and follow up." If you can show your client that you are committed to them. (Joel explains it best here (http://www.mowboy.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53&Itemid=57))
It makes for a better experience. By incorporating your idea TG, would only benefit this point.

Steve
12-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi ritchiem,

Why do you feel that many if not most owners of service companies just don't promote themselves?

ritchiem
12-05-2005, 11:57 AM
To most people it may be a little humbeling.

BSDeality
01-17-2006, 07:49 PM
I do not put myself on the front page of my website because I am younger (22). I have run into several people who do not weigh or value my opinion as much as an older person because of my age. I work hard, do my research and everyday gain more experience, so for now I want to put the "professional" image right in their face from the get-go. If they're interested in the man behind the company they can read about me by clicking a link at the bottom left of my site.

Soupy
01-19-2006, 04:04 AM
It doesn't sound like a bad idea (can't hurt). I think a lot of LCO's try to break free of that personal lawn-boy persona and might be why many don't advertise the owner (it also might give the wrong idea that the owner will always be on site).

Most websites (no matter what the business) do not promote the owner. Every once in awhile you will see a picture of the CEO/owner on a website followed by a mission statement. Personally when I see such websites I don't take the time to read about the CEO/owner and go right to the product or service. Since it is the product or service I want to know about, then a detail explanation can/will help make the sale.

P.S. I don't see a picture of the owner of Gopher on this website... Or maybe i'm not looking hard enough http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Steve
01-19-2006, 05:35 AM
Hi Soupy,

Quote[/b] ]I don't see a picture of the owner of Gopher on this website... Or maybe i'm not looking hard enough
That is a very good point. Is there a difference in marketing a product versus a service?
As you said Quote[/b] ]Personally when I see such websites I don't take the time to read about the CEO/owner and go right to the product or service.
Now when you market a service and you are going to be having this person or person's staff on your property performing a task. Would it be best to know the owner personally, or know who he/she is? Would it help you stand out? Even in BSDeality's case. Where he feels he doesn't get respect due to his age at times.
When marketing a service, is it best to promote the owner?

It's at least something to consider. If no one is doing it, and you do, would you stand out more. Would it help promoting that personalized service touch?

Just some things to consider.

Soupy
01-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Actually I see the personal touch with products more and more lately on TV. Oreck commercials, and the video professor commercials come to mind. Car dealerships have been doing it for years. I think Papa John's does it too.

I have not seen any service related companies advertise the owner, they usually show their crew at work. I have seen ads that mention that their employee's are background checked, drug screened, uniformed & badged, and insured.

It isn't a bad idea, and I don't think it could hurt to try it. I was just pointing out that quality or price will do most of the selling in lawn care. I have seen some shoddy individuals cutting grass. It's probably easier since we perform an outside service.

Billz
01-20-2006, 07:14 AM
it is not on a website, but the doorhangers used in texas by JustMowing, has a picture of TJ pointing, and he says something like "I want to mow your lawn" he is probably one of the bigger LCOs I have read about, and that is how he puts out his advertising.

maelawncare
01-21-2006, 02:24 AM
thats all true. and TJ sells him self big time on his ads. Not only the doorhangers, but every piece of advertising he does. I personally have not done it, because of my age. At being only 21 people still look down on me. Even though i have built a very professional business, my town is mostly old peopl http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

maelawncare
01-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Well i have added myself to the frontpage of my website. I am curious to see how it works out. I guess we will just have to wait and see http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Im just excited about the new season

Steve
01-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Will you be adding your image to your marketing material as well?

maelawncare
01-30-2006, 04:20 PM
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif oh yea, mywebsite is www.maelawncare.com