PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Rate Mailing

Steve
12-01-2004, 02:15 PM
If you are interested in bulk rate mailing and want to do it yourself here is an article that might be helpful.

Take Advantage of Bulk Mail and Other Shipping Discounts (http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/0,4621,311240,00.html)

Have you done this? If so, could you share your experience?

GrassBustersLawn
12-03-2004, 05:59 PM
I have done this before with another business I owned previous to getting into lawn care.

Advantage: Rate much cheaper then 1st class. I think it was around 6 cents apiece when I did it last - probably 6 years ago.

Disadvantage: You have to buy permit. You have to "obtain" names for mailing. That means either creating your own database from somewhere (time consuming) or purchasing a commercial list (expensive). Then you have to have your envelopes (with your PERMIT # in place of where stamp would go) printed up. But the BIGGEST drawback was the SORTING. You have to sort them by ZIP. Each in their own little tub & wrapped in approve wraps. THen physically take them to MAIN post office (Downtown) to have them weighed in & checked in. Depending on how many other people were waiting this could take a few minutes to more than an hour.

In my old business we marketed to people thru-out the city. In lawn care you could just shot-gun a zip code in the area you want to hit. Maybe not as bad.

We also included a POSTAGE PAID REPLY CARD. These were not cheap! Again you had to have the PERMIT. Plus each one that came back cost 59 CENTS. Most returns were from @SSHOLES that thought it would be funny to send them back empty.

Mike