PDA

View Full Version : DreamScapes Landscaping 2008

Dream Scapes
03-14-2008, 07:26 PM
After a few requests, here are some pictures of this year's line up.

Heres the list of everything:

1999 Chevy 2500 w/6.0L V8, Flowmaster, 107k miles
5x10 Carry-On Trailer w/TrimmerTrap racks
Toro Z150 w/20hp Kohler, 52" SFS, QwikChute
Toro 20055 Super Recycler 21"
STIHL: FS 100, FC 110, BR 550, BG 85, HS 45, MS 250

As you can tell, I really need a bigger trailer! I'd really like to wait until I get my license, but I think I may have to go and get something for the time being.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

NOTE: Please be advised, I'm only 15.

Dream Scapes
03-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Another Picture.....

Dream Scapes
03-14-2008, 07:29 PM
One Side of the trailer.....

Lol, I really need a new trailer!

Dream Scapes
03-14-2008, 07:30 PM
The other side of the trailer.....

Dream Scapes
03-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Heres a picture of "Big White"

Dream Scapes
03-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Please... No Disney Land Jokes!

UniversityLandscapers
03-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Wow...nice work.

Quite the setup for a 15 year old. We can't even get a learner's permit until 16 in Canada.

Steve
03-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Mitch that is awesome! Great Job!

What's else is on your future wish list?

nuvis93
03-15-2008, 02:19 AM
Mitch,

You are truly an inspiration for others. Keep up the good work.

Dream Scapes
03-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the nice comments!

As far as purchases for this year, heres the list:

Vehicle Lettering
Possibly a bigger trailer (would like to wait until next year)
Bagger for ZTR

Thanks!

-Mitch-

AMW Graphics
03-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Very Nice!

justin_time
03-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah very nice setup.. i'm kind of jealous.. i'm only 22 and i don't have that much stuff yet

hondaboy80
03-24-2008, 01:46 AM
yeah really nice stuff

Dream Scapes
11-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Well... I totally forgot about this forum! Things have been so busy this year and all...

So i'll update you guys on what I've been up to this year.

Things have gone great! Gross profit is over three times what it was last year.

I ended mowing this year with about 40 weekly mowing customers. I have an employee, retired gentleman who is a very hard worker.

I added a few new pieces of equipment:

Toro Pro-Line 21"
Lesco 48" WB
Lesco 32" WB
Rice 7x16 Trailer
Billy Goat Leaf Vacum

I'll post some pictures.

-Mitch-

Steve
11-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Mitch,

Great job! What lessons have you learned so far this year that you can share with others just getting started out?

Dream Scapes
11-11-2008, 10:04 PM
I traded the Toro ZTR for the Lesco 48". It really was overkill for most of the yards I was putting it on, and the 48" WB is perfect! I do plan on adding a ZTR next year.

I really took a liking to Lesco's products, and my dealer support is tremendous! So I bought a 32". I have a lot of gated properties, where the 48" doesn't fit, and this takes care of that! I got it on sale, at one heck of a price.

The Toro Super Recycler basically fell apart on me. The wheels started coming off the frame, and it was a mess. So i got a Pro-Line. No regrets.

Found the trailer on ********, and got it in September. I don't know how I got by without it! Its awesome to have space to spare! I do still have the 5x10 for aerating, landscaping, etc.

The truck is doing great. Just under 115k miles, no major problems. Plow is coming next year (Western, possibly a v-plow).

Next Year's List:

48 or 54" ZTR
STIHL KM 110 Multi-Task
Western Plow

-Mitch-

Steve
11-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Do you have any marketing advice for everyone on the forum? What has worked and what hasn't?

Dream Scapes
11-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Mitch,

Great job! What lessons have you learned so far this year that you can share with others just getting started out?

There are a ton. This year was an eye-opener for me. I was busy all year, never struggling to get work. I really worked myself hard this year, but it is all paying off.

1. Develop Relationships. I got to meet the owner of the biggest nursery/supply yard around here. He started out just like I am. I do all my plant purchases there, etc. I walked in one Saturday afternoon, very close to their closing time, and I really needed a delivery. They took care of it. I will never forget that, because they came through for me, so I could get this job done. That means a lot to me, and its how I like to treat people.

2. As Forrest Gump says, $hit happens. Don't get frustrated. I had a day where I blew a trailer tire on the side of a major highway (474 for those who live in Illinois), had no spare, then I missed my exit getting back into town, had to drive an extra twenty minutes, then had to go back to Pekin, get my school schedule, drive back to the town I got off the highway at, had to go back to Pekin, then back to John Deere Landscapes, where I started my day off at. 150 miles traveled that day. Had an employee on the clock, etc. It sucked, but it could have been worst.

3. You will find that you will learn a lot by making mistakes.

Mistakes I made:

Not asking for help when I needed it. Especially in the spring, i worked myself to death.

Buying used equipment. I don't plan on buying used mowers anymore. With new stuff, you get a warranty, and a little more power at the dealerships.

I'll come up with more, don't worry.

Marketing: Word of mouth. Thats how I have expanded my business. Truck/trailer signs are great for getting noticed as well. Yard signs work great as well. Even for small jobs (ex. bush/hedge trimming job, stick the sign in the yard while you are there, take it with you when you go).

Being professional. I have shirts, hoodies, windbreakers, all with my logo on the back. I've been walking out of the hardware store and gotten people to ask me about work. I always have jeans on when I'm mowing, shirt always tucked in. Safety equipment: Ear muffs (with the radio of course;), glasses, gloves, etc.

You have to show people you are serious, then they will take you seriously. Most people don't realize I'm fifteen. I normally tell them after we have discussed work and such. Most people are just impressed and willing to support me

-Mitch-