PDA

View Full Version : A talk with some business managers

Steve
01-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Over the holidays I had a chance to talk with some business managers. One worked as manager of a Hilton hotel, another a Marriott and lastly a manager of Wal-Mart.

I asked them each how far they will go to make a customer happy. Is the customer always right?

Here is what I summized from what they said.

Marriott - Will do almost anything to please a customer to get them to come back.

Hilton - Will only work within reason to please a customer.

Wal-Mart - They are told to make the customer happy and do whatever it takes, but they know the customers don't have much of a choice and they will be back.

Have you ever experienced a problem at any of these facilities?

If so was it resolved to your satisfaction?

Would you ever go back?

Which ideal do you find yourself implementing in your company?

Little's
06-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Their answers werent surprising to me. The interesting one was Wal-Marts. I dont shop at WalMart for this reason here.
Thanks for the insight.
I agree with Hiltons idea- "Within reason"

Steve
06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
How far will you go to make a customer happy? Which business would you be more like?

Any advise to other lcos when it comes to dealing with difficult customers?

Little's
06-12-2007, 04:39 PM
I will go pretty far to make one happy, but I wont let someone take advantage of me or push me around. I will be fair and objective. If you have to spend a little more time making a customer happy now, you will get it back in the long run.

Steve
06-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Do you ever find customers asking you to do extra services in which they don't want to be charged for?

Little's
06-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Sometimes. If it is something that will take me an extra couple minutes, then no problem. If it is something that will require a considerable amount of time, then I let them know what I will have to charge them to do it. I havent had much trouble so far.

TigerTime
06-13-2007, 06:19 AM
I guess it depends on the customer and the relationship built. Some of my customers are in their 70's and 80s and can not do for themselves. I do extra for them because they can not always do for themselves. I do get a lot in return because they are quick to share their experiances with others. So, word of mouth goes a long way with the older generation.

I really do not mind helping them. It is the young able to do for themselves that seem to want more for nothing and that is when I let them know that I will charge for the extra work. SO I use within reason with them.

Just my thoughts.

gardenbarber
12-22-2011, 11:28 PM
This is an old thread but I'm new so my thoughts on service - I guess it depends on the customer. I find that customers I like or feel obligated to get more from me. And I like customers who treat my service with respect - they pay on time , they are prompt with property access and so on. I've got to the stage where I will only work with customers I at least can get on with. If I don't like a customer I'll reverse out of the deal -

Old people get extras just because and single mom's get some extra help - I know it may sound sexist but I think they have it tough enough and sometimes there are things they just can't or don't know how to do.