View Full Version : A talk with some business managers

01-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Over the holidays I had a chance to talk with some business managers. One worked as manager of a Hilton hotel, another a Marriott and lastly a manager of Wal-Mart.

I asked them each how far they will go to make a customer happy. Is the customer always right?

Here is what I summized from what they said.

Marriott - Will do almost anything to please a customer to get them to come back.

Hilton - Will only work within reason to please a customer.

Wal-Mart - They are told to make the customer happy and do whatever it takes, but they know the customers don't have much of a choice and they will be back.

Have you ever experienced a problem at any of these facilities?

If so was it resolved to your satisfaction?

Would you ever go back?

Which ideal do you find yourself implementing in your company?

06-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Their answers werent surprising to me. The interesting one was Wal-Marts. I dont shop at WalMart for this reason here.
Thanks for the insight.
I agree with Hiltons idea- "Within reason"

06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
How far will you go to make a customer happy? Which business would you be more like?

Any advise to other lcos when it comes to dealing with difficult customers?

06-12-2007, 04:39 PM
I will go pretty far to make one happy, but I wont let someone take advantage of me or push me around. I will be fair and objective. If you have to spend a little more time making a customer happy now, you will get it back in the long run.

06-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Do you ever find customers asking you to do extra services in which they don't want to be charged for?

06-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Sometimes. If it is something that will take me an extra couple minutes, then no problem. If it is something that will require a considerable amount of time, then I let them know what I will have to charge them to do it. I havent had much trouble so far.

06-13-2007, 06:19 AM
I guess it depends on the customer and the relationship built. Some of my customers are in their 70's and 80s and can not do for themselves. I do extra for them because they can not always do for themselves. I do get a lot in return because they are quick to share their experiances with others. So, word of mouth goes a long way with the older generation.

I really do not mind helping them. It is the young able to do for themselves that seem to want more for nothing and that is when I let them know that I will charge for the extra work. SO I use within reason with them.

Just my thoughts.

12-22-2011, 11:28 PM
This is an old thread but I'm new so my thoughts on service - I guess it depends on the customer. I find that customers I like or feel obligated to get more from me. And I like customers who treat my service with respect - they pay on time , they are prompt with property access and so on. I've got to the stage where I will only work with customers I at least can get on with. If I don't like a customer I'll reverse out of the deal -

Old people get extras just because and single mom's get some extra help - I know it may sound sexist but I think they have it tough enough and sometimes there are things they just can't or don't know how to do.