PDA

View Full Version : Discount for 'friends'

Steve
01-08-2007, 09:32 PM
I was talking with a business owner about this and thought it was interesting enough to post.

How would you handle it.

This lco had been contacted by someone who is a friend of a friend. They wanted some landscape work done on their property and stressed how they were all friends so he should get a good deal on a bid.

This lco saw this as a warning sign of potential future problems to come.

Have you ever found yourself in a similar? How have you handled it?

tiedeman
01-08-2007, 09:58 PM
yes, do not do it. *It is just an accident waiting to happen. *What is going to happen is that he is wanting a discount. *Then he might not pay on time or pay at all. *He also may demand more things that are outside of the agreed budget.

When I had workers one of the workers sister needed some work done on her property. *We did the work and did not get paid until 6 months later. *After that happened I warned all workers that there is to be no work done for family or friends, period.

Steve
01-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Quote[/b] ]He also may demand more things that are outside of the agreed budget.

You nailed it right on the head.

You know what's funny. I heard another very similar story from this lco about how they had done work for another 'friend' in the past and when they were finished, this same 'friend' found tons of things to complain about, 'this needed to be fixed and that wasn't looking right.' It went on so long that he gave up on it and never got paid.

John/Logo-Mechanix
01-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Even in my business of graphic and print design when I do work for family or friends I pretty much write it off, if I get paid great, if I get a 12 pack of beer thats fine too. I will come up with a shirt design or a flyer or something but if they want me to print it I need the money first.

kc2006
01-10-2007, 03:39 PM
This has always been an issue for me. Way back I posted a thread about having alot of friends and family and how that can get you in this or any business alot easier. But so far I've had nothing but problems with friends or family even. Friends want services discounted heavily and products for cost, and i found that family basicly feels you should do the work for free and they'll just refer you to people (which never happens).

I tell all friends I give them a 20% discount on landscaping and supplies, no discount on mowing because I'm already reasonable, thats it. I wouldn't discount anything for a friend of a friend, if they don't like it oh well.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
02-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Easiest way out is to keep contracts with you all the time. Don't be afraid to pull one out, its your income at risk otherwise. Leaves no misunderstanding.

I'll charge my minimum mowing rate for a one time deal if its a small or average scenario. And I tell them its a one time deal done as a favor. If they want me to service the yard on a regular basis, the price will be $XX. The reaction from them decides if I will do it.

Its been my observation you get more respect that way and you save yourself some self generated aggravation.