PDA

View Full Version : Dead Beat customers

myrlin
11-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Doses anyone know if it is illegal to put a website up for dead beat ( non-paying) CUSTOMERS and advertise the wedsite on your vehicle?

Thank you Barry

Steve
11-26-2006, 01:56 PM
That is an interesting question. I don't know if I have ever heard of someone doing that.

Have you considered your different options to getting paid? Have you looked into putting a lean on the property?

Billz
11-26-2006, 04:17 PM
I am due about $9,000 now, that is past due...this year was alot worse for late payments than any other so far! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Even the customers who always paid first are slower this year. I sent out little reminder notes on the 15th when they were all due. I hope that works, but no checks all week! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

myrlin
11-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Yes, we have thought about looking into placing a lien on their property. I have to get on our County website to get all the legal description etc on the property and find out how much is involved to place the lien. Depends on the cost as to whether that would be a worthwhile option.

Billz...that is alot of money owed to you!! Ours is nowheres near that amount. We have found that for the past few months, customers are reallyyyyy slow paying. This is our 1st year experiencing the slow paying.

Steve
11-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Billz have you ever taken customers to small claims court over past due payments?

Billz
11-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I have never had to take anyone to small claims court. I lost $80 last year for the first time ever...she filed bankruptcy and had her house forclosed on... there was really no way to get that money...I had to send 3 letters last year explaining that we would wait until their last bill was 90 days late, gave that date, and told them that was the exact date we would be filing in small claims court. We got all our money from them, but didn't offer any of them service this year. I will have to do the same this year too, it looks like. Some of the customers who owe have been with me for 4 years, with no problems ever...I just sent letters to all explaining that if they would only call us and lket us know their intentions, we would make payment arrangements with them...that was last Monday, 1 week later, no calls or checks! http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Steve
11-28-2006, 01:29 AM
Oh! well keep us posted on this turns out.

gman
11-28-2006, 01:27 PM
I know how you feel, in the summer months is was about one or two customers that have never paid on time and now it seem that just about everyone is late and I'm always checking the mail box too... I thing that the custmoer think that they are only the one that have bills to pay and with the hoildays coming up it is getting harder to collect and bills are pileing up too. I thinking about going to a collection agent

gman

Steve
11-29-2006, 02:37 AM
Gman,

If you do, let us know about the experience of using a collection agency.

tiedeman
12-07-2006, 12:07 PM
I only had two past due this year that haven't paid, and they are currently being dealt with by a collections agency

Steve
12-07-2006, 07:44 PM
How long of a process does it take to get paid once you contact the collection agency?

myrlin
12-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Well the customer pay me finely. We send another bill and on the reture payment he said You're Fired!! *HA HA:(

barry http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Steve
12-08-2006, 01:07 PM
What do you think that customer's problem was?

myrlin
12-08-2006, 08:37 PM
We have no idea. He never indicated there was any problem. He had contacted us to mow his lawn until he bought his own mower. We mowed it 3 times and then he called us and said he bought his own mower we didn't need to mow any longer. When we billed him, he said he didn't remember us mowing it so that's why he didn't pay us. then we received the payment yesterday. Who knows why he put that comment "You're Fired"!!! Some customers you just don't understand them.

Steve
12-09-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif WOW Well I am sorry that happened but at least you were finally paid.

Steve
06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Does anyone have any deadbeat customer stories and how they dealt with them?

UniversityLandscapers
06-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Does anyone have any deadbeat customer stories and how they dealt with them?

I had one customer who was usually home and always paid cash. Right after he hired me to do a bunch of additional weeding, he disappeared. I mowed a couple more times, thinking that maybe I wasn't catching him at home, then gave up. He owed me $500 and I've never gotten it. I just gave up on it, since I didn't know his last name and am too lazy to go through all the effort of going to the city for such a small sum.

He was kind of sketchy, he had a pit bull that nearly attacked me once, and by the end of the summer when he was done "renovating" his house, he had the whole property covered by infrared security cameras with unpickable locks and security plates on the doors. He also had all the windows replaced on a pretty new house, which I guessed were probably new bulletproof windows. He was about 30 and drove a brand new Porsche 911 turbo and an F350 super duty that was pretty tricked out. My assumption is that he is some sort of high level drug dealer/gang leader...so that was another reason I figured I'd let it slide.

AzScapes
07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Haha thats funny Dave , i have had quite a few dead beats as well this year. The funniest was a collage girls house i did. She wanted bi monthly maintenance . I mowed the lawn the day i meet here to do the estimate and she asked if she could pay at the end of the month. So a month goes by i send a bill .... never get a check or call the second goes by another bill... no check i called got no call back and for some reason i continued services for another month. I called and got no answer so i cancelled the service and sent another invoice. To make a long story short the lady rented her house out to some other collage chicks that call me to try to set up a new account and get it back on the schedule. I had them pay ever visit and after a couple months went by i was pulling into the neighborhood and saw a girl that looked like the owner of the house that owed me money, but was hard to tell considering she was cycling and in a spandex racing suit and glasses. So i pull up to the house and see her car across the street and Wait... and Wait. I see her pull down the street and as soon as she sees me she turns around and rides away. So i Wait , 30 min go by and she finally pulls up to here car from the opposite direction , she waves like nothing and load-es her bike onto her car. I asked her what happened and all the sudden she throws 10 different excuses at me and apologies , i then asked her why she was trying to avoid me so she would feel like an idiot. But in the end she conveniently had all the money in cash a paid. Its a good thing she was hot other wise i would have had to get angry.