PDA

View Full Version : The $20 a cut customer

Steve
09-04-2006, 11:35 PM
I was talking to a friend the other day who said his $20.00 a cut, lawn care company went out of business and he needed a new one.

I asked if he thought the fact the lco charged only $20 to cut close to an acre of lawn might have been a factor in them going out of business and maybe he should look for a more established company.

He said no, $20 is the price he wants to pay.

How do you market to such customers or should you even bother?

What's your view?

tiedeman
09-05-2006, 06:39 PM
With customers like you have to sell them on a couple of things:
1. First tell them that the reason that he no longer has a lawn care company maintaining his property is because they couldn't afford to keep float.
2. If you he wants to have a lawn care company that is insured and will show up weekly, then hire an established one not based on price.
3. Basing the service on price as the top priority is the worst thing to do

Steve
09-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Have you ever found yourself trying to persuade a customer of this?

How did it turn out?

tiedeman
09-05-2006, 07:48 PM
I personally never try to persuade someone to change, but I let them know that if that can't find anybody to feel free to contact me. And 9 times out of 10, they always call me back after a few months to a year. And what they have always said is, "I need someone that will be consistent and be here on a regular basis. The other guy was never reliable or never bagged the lawn or forgot to trim, etc."

Steve
09-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Quote[/b] ]"I need someone that will be consistent and be here on a regular basis. The other guy was never reliable or never bagged the lawn or forgot to trim, etc."
Amazing.

So I think one could say, part of the process of turning these potential customers into actual customers is letting them know you are there to help them when they are ready to be helped.

Good for you for sticking to it and not giving up!

tiedeman
09-05-2006, 09:18 PM
It usually happens for first time customers that have never looked for a lawn care company before or used one before. They don't always know what they are going to get until they start digging.

Not all customers will change their mind though. Some customers will choose price over quality.