PDA

View Full Version : Import to Quickbooks Premier Contractors Edition

JMM0254
07-02-2006, 12:31 PM
I am evaluating Gopher at this time and I would like to import into Gopher from Quickbooks Premier Contractor Edition 2003. I have installed the QB loader, re-booted and have both programs running.

When I select syncronize with QB from the Gopher menu and try to import anything I get the following error - "Unable to inititate connection to Quickbooks Pro. Make sure Quickbooks Pro is running and your company file is open". When I say "ok" then I get the following error: Access violation at address 006C5DC1 in module Gopher 2006 .exe. Read of address 00000000.

I have been able to import all customers from QB into Gopher using the QB customer list import. But I would really like to get the financial information imported for the last year instead of having to manually imput it.

I am on the latest release of Gopher and QB has been updated to the latest release available.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Gopher is the greatest program I've seen out there and I have searched for a long time.

Thanks, Joe.

Gopher Support
07-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Try going to Edit | Preferences in Quickbooks. Is the checkbox which says "Don't allow any applications to access this company file" checked? If so, uncheck it and try again. Let us know if that solved the problem.

JMM0254
07-02-2006, 03:32 PM
It was already unchecked. I checked it, then tried, then unchecked it again, tried and get the same error.

Gopher Support
07-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Are you running the US version of Quickbooks? What version # of Gopher are you running? Can you go to the Quickbooks Synchronize screen In Gopher and on the first tab click "Get Tax Code List"? Does that also give you an error? What version of Windows are you running?

JMM0254
07-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Quote[/b] (Gopher Support @ July 02 2006,7:47)]Are you running the US version of Quickbooks? What version # of Gopher are you running? Can you go to the Quickbooks Synchronize screen In Gopher and on the first tab click "Get Tax Code List"? Does that also give you an error? What version of Windows are you running?
Yes on the QB US version of QB Premier, Contractors Edition 2003.

Gopher version 3.2.15.

Windows XP Pro - all up to date with Microsoft.

And yes, when I goto the synchronize screen in Gopher and select Get Tax Code List, I get the error as stated in my original post. Anywhere I try to sync to QB in this sceen, I get the error:

"Unable to inititate connection to Quickbooks Pro. Make sure Quickbooks Pro is running and your company file is open".

When I say "ok" then I get the following error:

Access violation at address 006C5DC1 in module Gopher 2006 .exe. Read of address 00000000.

Gopher Support
07-03-2006, 05:37 PM
You said that you had both programs running. But was your actual Quickbooks company file also open in QB at the time you tried to connect from Gopher? (The company file has to be open in Quickbooks)

JMM0254
07-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Quote[/b] (Gopher Support @ July 03 2006,4:37)]You said that you had both programs running. But was your actual Quickbooks company file also open in QB at the time you tried to connect from Gopher? (The company file has to be open in Quickbooks)
Yes, the company file is open.

Gopher Support
07-03-2006, 07:11 PM
This is unusual because that error should only occur when you don't have QB loaded or when it's loaded but your company file isn't.

Can you try downloading and installing the QBFC Installer from http://www.getgopher.com/qb/
Then restart your computer. Finally, create a new test company in Quickbooks and see if you can connect at all.

JMM0254
07-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Quote[/b] (Gopher Support @ July 03 2006,6:11)]This is unusual because that error should only occur when you don't have QB loaded or when it's loaded but your company file isn't.

Can you try downloading and installing the QBFC Installer from http://www.getgopher.com/qb/
Then restart your computer. Finally, create a new test company in Quickbooks and see if you can connect at all.
Reinstalled the QBFC Installer. Created a test company in QB. Tried, same errors.

I will try to install QB on another of my systems today and see if that makes a difference.

Is it possible that Zone Alarm Security Suite has blocked something? I have turned it off and tried to no avail, but wondering if during the install of the QBFC it does not allow some file to be installed or updated? ZA is the only security/virus software that I am running on this computer at this time.

JMM0254
07-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Are there any changes I need to make to either of the programs (ID numbers, cust. number, etc.) that allows both programs to speak to each other? Or should Gopher just automatically find QB's interface through the QBFC Installer? I have not made any changes to either of the programs, directing one to the other. Maybe I have missed a step or something?

Gopher Support
07-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Quote[/b] (JMM0254 @ July 04 2006,10:44)]Are there any changes I need to make to either of the programs (ID numbers, cust. number, etc.) that allows both programs to speak to each other?
Since we can't even connect to QB and perform a simple "Get Tax Code List" request, that suggests that the problem is not related to your Gopher database.

The fact that you're seeing the "Unable to inititate connection to Quickbooks Pro" error seems to indicate Gopher is able to at least attempt to initiate communications. But it's not getting the desired response or perhaps no response at all from Quickbooks.

Zone Alarm is probably not affecting things, but it was a good idea to test turning it off.

Do you possibly have access to another computer that you can install the same versions of QB and Gopher on?

Gopher Support
07-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Here's another thing you can try:
Download gopher2006.exe from http://www.getgopher.com/2006/gopher2006.exe

We just changed the error message on the Quickbooks link to provide more information when it encounters an error. Try the "get tax code list" again and let us know what the full error message says.

JMM0254
07-05-2006, 08:28 AM
Quote[/b] (Gopher Support @ July 05 2006,6:35)]Here's another thing you can try:
Download gopher2006.exe from http://www.getgopher.com/2006/gopher2006.exe

We just changed the error message on the Quickbooks link to provide more information when it encounters an error. Try the "get tax code list" again and let us know what the full error message says.
Added info to the error message states:

Unable to initiate connection to Quickbooks Pro.
Make sure Quickbooks Pro is running and your company file is open.
Error: Could not start Quickbooks

I did not uninstall and reinstall, should I have done this?

Gopher Support
07-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Do you have multiple versions of Quickbooks installed on your computer? If so, which other versions?

Go to Edit | Preferences | Integrated Applications. Click on the "Company Preferences" tab. Is anything listed in the section that says "Applications that have previously requested access to this company file"?

Have you downloaded the latest updates and patches for Quickbooks 2003?

JMM0254
07-06-2006, 06:10 AM
Quote[/b] (Gopher Support @ July 05 2006,4:13)]Do you have multiple versions of Quickbooks installed on your computer? If so, which other versions?

Go to Edit | Preferences | Integrated Applications. Click on the "Company Preferences" tab. Is anything listed in the section that says "Applications that have previously requested access to this company file"?

Have you downloaded the latest updates and patches for Quickbooks 2003?
The only other Quicken product I have installed on this computer is Quicken Family Lawyer.

As far as Intigrated Applications; since the latest install of Gopher, nothing shows as having tried to access QB.

QB is updated to the latest updates.

This is a new computer, less than one month old, so not much has been installed yet. A pretty clean install. Later today, I will be installing the QB software on my laptop and I already have Gopher trial installed on it also. I will post later with the results. Thanks for all your help in attempting to get this talking to QB.

Gopher Support
07-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Are you running Windows XP as an administrator user? Are you logged in to Windows with multiple users at the same time?

Is there anything special or unique about the version of Quickbooks that you're running? For example, is it a trial version? Is it a registered version of Quickbooks?

JMM0254
07-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Quote[/b] (Gopher Support @ July 06 2006,6:50)]Are you running Windows XP as an administrator user? *Are you logged in to Windows with multiple users at the same time?

Is there anything special or unique about the version of Quickbooks that you're running? *For example, is it a trial version? *Is it a registered version of Quickbooks?
I did install on my laptop. It does work on this system. Same install of QB. Only difference I can see between oth computers is that on my first install of both programs, on the system that both programs will NOT communicate, I do NOT get the "certificate" verification request. On the laptop install, I do get this window and let it access QB. Could it be that there is an option in Windows somewhere regarding "allowing certificates" or something? I seem to recall seeing it somewhere before, maybe there is an option there that does not allow Certificates unless they are signed, and Gophers Certificate is NOT signed or at least Windows can not verify it.

Now that the laptop is at least communicating with QB and Gopher, the only problem I do see is that when imported the Customers, I got an error that says something to the effect: Bad interger. Anf then when I try to import all payments, I get only 5 imported adn that is it. I look at the customers that were imported from QB and about half came in with no "Customer ID". Do I need to assign account numbers from QB into Gopher?

Gopher Support
07-06-2006, 08:29 AM
You might want to try uninstalling Gopher altogether from your original computer, rebooting and then reinstalling.

Gopher should be able to import your customer IDs from Quickbooks. If you want us to take a look at what's causing the error you can email your Quickbooks QBW file to support@gophersoftware.com (be sure to include your username from the forum).

JMM0254
07-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Quote[/b] (Gopher Support @ July 06 2006,7:29)]You might want to try uninstalling Gopher altogether from your original computer, rebooting and then reinstalling.

Gopher should be able to import your customer IDs from Quickbooks. *If you want us to take a look at what's causing the error you can email your Quickbooks QBW file to support@gophersoftware.com (be sure to include your username from the forum).
I will send a backup of the data file. It is just a sampling, but it should provide the info needed. Thanks so much!

Gopher Support
07-07-2006, 07:51 AM
We did an import test here using your QBW file and got the some invalid integer error. The reason is that when Gopher imports customers from QB, it takes the "Account Number" field from the Payment Info tab in QB and uses that as the Customer ID in Gopher. When a customer doesn't have an account number in QB, Gopher leaves the Customer ID as 0. You can edit your customer ID's in Gopher and change them from 0's to any number you want. But Gopher won't change them automatically.

JMM0254
07-10-2006, 08:32 PM
I now have about everything working. However, using a Palm is a very big asset and I have tried for days now to get it to function properly. I have the conduit installed and Gopher is installed on my Palm IIIxe, but it is always "blank" even after I sync". I did download the Palm software from the link I was sent, but it just doesn't seem to update the Palm even if there are "test" jobs scheduled. I do get some errors when I try to install some of the "links" I was given during the download of all the Palm files. The errors are as follows, relative to the file selected:

During "Conduit Install" (see attached file "Conduit Configuration"

When I try to install Gopher Pal Setup Launcher - I get the error "Error 1323. The path Con contains words that are not valid in folders.

When I sync with my Palm, I can see that the computer Sync is applying any new Sync information from the computer to the laptop, but when I goto the Palm, there is no information upgraded. Thanks.

Gopher Support
07-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Try following the steps for the manual installation of the Gopher Palm module. Here's the link:
manual installation instructions (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=1573;hl=manual)