PDA

View Full Version : Need help with backing up my database

myrlin
06-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I am having so much trouble trying to do a backup. I am trying to backup to CD-RW. I followed instructions from the FAQ section. It looks like my Gopher2003.GDB file does get transferred to the CD, but when I try to open the file from the CD, it states Windows can not open the file. Windows needs to know what program created it. I guess it has to do with the extension GDB? Any suggestions or am I missing a step. How does everyone backup their files?
Thanks in advance.
Myrlin

Gopher Tech
06-28-2006, 02:11 AM
Quote[/b] ] followed instructions from the FAQ section. It looks like my Gopher2003.GDB file does get transferred to the CD, but when I try to open the file from the CD, it states Windows can not open the file. Windows needs to know what program created it.
It sounds like you are doing everything right. If you wanted to use the gdb file you had saved on your cd, you will need to move it back to your computer's hard drive. Then you will need to go into Gopher and direct it to use this new database file by going to the Option section and then clicking on the Database tab at top. Then click the yellow folder button to let Gopher know where your database is located.

myrlin
06-28-2006, 09:55 AM
My database file is still on my hard drive. I just wanted to back up the file to the CD in case of a crash of my system etc. So, you are saying in case of a system crash, I would take the CD I am backing up to and follow the instructions you posted here. In the meantime, I can keep backing up to this CD and the only way I will find out if all my files were transferred is to go thru the steps you posted? Seems like their should be an easier way for this.
Why is it I can take any favorites folder from my hard drive, for instance, my recipes folder, transfer it to the CD, and then open that file from the CD, but I can't open my gopher file from the CD? Will Gopher ever have that capability?

Thanks
Myrlin

Gopher Support
06-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi Myrlin,

If you want to check the backup file, you need to bring the file back onto the hard drive to review it.

Quote[/b] ]Why is it I can take any favorites folder from my hard drive, for instance, my recipes folder, transfer it to the CD, and then open that file from the CD, but I can't open my gopher file from the CD? Will Gopher ever have that capability?
Right now Gopher can not write directly to a cd. This is something we would like to see added in the future.

myrlin
06-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks...I appreciate your help.
Myrlin

myrlin
06-28-2006, 12:00 PM
I have one other question. Can I backup to a floppy? If my database file at present is 4,028 KB, will it fit on a floppy? Will I be able to open the file from the floppy or will I have to send it back to the hard drive to review it?

Thanks so much.
Myrlin

Steve
06-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi myrlin,

Yes you can back up to floppy. Use the Gopher backup feature. When the floppy is full Gopher will ask you to insert a new floppy.