PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Data Using CD-R

Gopher Support
10-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Here is how you can move your database file from one computer to another using a CD-R. This assumes you have the same version of Gopher already installed on both computers.

Warning: Make sure Gopher is closed on both computers before attempting this procedure.

Source Computer:
1) Insert a blank CD-R into the source computer (make sure Gopher is NOT running)
2) Double-click on My Computer, Local C: drive, then go into the Program Files\Ditech\Gopher 2003 folder. You might see a message that says the contents of the folder are hidden. If you see that message, then click the option to show the contents of the folder.
3) Right-click on the GOPHER2003.GDB file and choose "Sent To" -> CD-R drive (should be drive letter D: or higher). If you just see a file called GOPHER2003 (without the ".GDB" extension) then go to the Tools menu, choose folder options, click View tab, and uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" checkbox.
4) Close the My Computer window and double-click on My Computer again. Right-click on the icon for your CD-R drive and choose "Write these files to CD". Click the next button when the CD writing wizard appears.

After the CD has been written it will eject automatically. Take the CD to the destination computer and insert the disc.

Destination Computer:
5) Go to My Computer, double-click on the icon for the CD drive. Right-click on the GOPHER2003.GDB file and choose copy.
6) Close the My Computer window and open a new My Computer window. Double-click on the local C: drive and go into Program Files\Ditech\Gopher 2003.
7) Hit CTRL-V to paste the file. You should receive a warning that the file already exists. Click YES to overwrite the existing file with the database from the source computer.
8) Try running Gopher to confirm that your data has transferred successfully.

BSDeality
10-26-2005, 05:33 PM
For the sake of Data-safety....

Backup gopher to C:\GopherBackup_10-26-05.zip (change the date with every backup!)
then burn the .zip file to CD.
Transfer the cd and copy .zip file to the new computer, and let gopher "restore" it from the zip. doing it the other way is much more likely to get database problems.

Of course, this is just my $.02 so do as you see fit.

grounded
12-04-2005, 10:26 AM
I use my laptop in the field and found that Wi-fi and a external hard drive work for me. I would backup my office computer through gopher backup option to my external drive then with the laptop I will restore from my external drive to laptop and all data is current. when Im back in the office, I can reverse the process and both machines are current. you really want to get an external drive for emergency's even if you dont have 2 machines! trust me on this.

01-30-2006, 03:10 PM
What if I have 2 computers that are doing seperate bids? How would I set them up so that they could share the information

Steve
01-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi Josiah Wolfe,

Can you tell us a little more about what you are doing? Are these computers networked?