PDA

View Full Version : Late fee's... give me the low down please

Soupy
10-02-2005, 11:57 PM
I have finally decided to charge a late fee. I have had a late fee policy for years, but have never bothered to enforce it.

Anyway can you give me the low down on how I would use this feature, or link me to a tutorial or thread that already discusses this.

My concerns are how will I go about charging a $5 or 1.5% (whichever is greater) to an invoice each month it goes unpaid? From what I understand is, Gopher only generates the one invoice then you have to use statements each month after that. This is on customers that have been canceled and don't have new charges each month.

In the past I never used the statements and just reprinted the same invoice every month. This is bad because it doesn't generate a new invoice date. On active customers I just send the new invoice that shows the past due amount from last invoice. I guess I should be sending both an invoice and statement on accounts with past due amounts, but that just means more time in the office on invoice day http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I wish there was a way to set up statements to print one way all the time, so I don't have to keep (memory sucks) learning which options to select.

Anyway, I think that all I have to do is go in on the 16th (invoices due by the 15th) of each month and generate late fee's and this will continue to add a late fee for that invoice each month it goes unpaid. Then this will show on the statement I send.

My other concern is I have all customers set up to pay upon request, but on the payment stub is were I have our pay by the 15th or late fee's will apply policy. So will this effect anything when I generate late fee's? If I generate them on the 16th of each month will it matter that the actual due date on the invoice is upon request and effect the way Gopher considers it past due?

Basically, just lay it on me guys. Give me anything that you think will make this go easy and not give me a nightmare of number fixing down the road (which is why I decided to just waive the late fee in the past).

Oh, I want to add that I don't use the scheduler because I only have a portion of my customers setup in Gopher (the rest stay in Quickbooks). What I do is go to invoice and open a new one and add service charges manually that way each month. I will probably go ahead and move everyone over to Gopher next year in hopes Gopher will integrate well with a Quickbooks upgrade which I intend to get soon (still using 2002). I don't know if this info is pertinent, but just wanted to let you know how I use the program as of now.

Sorry for all the questions and the long post. wanted to cover as many bases as possible on the first post.

Thank You
Soupy

Soupy
10-03-2005, 12:04 AM
I forgot, another concern I had was how to generate back late fee's. I have a couple of customers several month old that I want to send to collections. I want to add all late fee's from the first past due date. These customer only have one or 2 invoices generated then they got canceled (no new invoices). I managed to add one late fee to each invoice, but lets say the invoice was due on 5/15/05. How do I go back and add 5 months of late fee's on the same invoice. My late fee policy is a compounded fee and not just a one time fee.

Thanks again....