PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Surcharge Idea

Gopher Tech
06-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Hello All,

Here is a great idea that recently came in. When you need to add a fuel surcharge, do the following.

- Create a new service "fuel surcharge"
- Create a new matrix called "fuel surcharge"
- Include all customers
- Complete the fuel surcharge matrix including all customers. Hint: To quickly mark all jobs as being done, click on the top item and hold the space bar down.

This will then add a line item to all your customers' invoices to include a fuel surchage.

Thanks for the great idea!

Soupy
09-01-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm going to ty this, but I have a question. First let me explain I have never used the Matrix (although I loved the movie http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif). Will this work as a weekly charge, or will this be for a monthly charge.

Also, I am wanting to add a percentage. Is there a better way of doing this, or do I have to create several fuel surcharge services to include all different cut prices. That is how my mowing services are set up now. I have mow30, mow35, mow 40 etc. and manually change the ones that have an unusual amount charged.

Thanks for your help.

Gopher Support
09-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Can you give an example of how you would want to apply the percentage? Do you mean a percentage of the work that's been performed for the month? Or do you want to simply increase the service prices by a percentage?

Also, the matrix isn't weekly or monthly. It just creates new line items whenever you click the "Complete Matrix" button.

Soupy
09-02-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm wanting to add a line item after each service which adds the surcharge. I'm charging 3.5%, but I am rounding to the nearest quarter. I'll probably just setup a new service with the most commonly used fuel charge increase, then adjust this price manually if needed.

So when I create an invoice I will add the service item and then add the fuel surcharge, and repeat for each service.

Do you know of a better way?

Gopher Support
09-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Here's an idea. You can use the late fee function (from the Functions | Calculate Late Fees menu). It would only create one new line item per invoice but it might work. First you'd generate your invoices. Then go to the late fees screen. Specify that you want to include all invoices that are 0 days past due as of (pick a date way in the future) 1/1/2007. Change the description to "Fuel surcharge" and set the percentage to the 3.5%. Then set "Invoice Assignment" to "Add line item to past due invoice" and click the Next button. The one drawback to this is that it will add a new line item to ALL past due invoices, and not just the most recent invoice. But it might be easier than doing it manually.

Soupy
09-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Yea, I thought about that, but unfortunately I have a lot of slow payers and this would add 3.5% as for as 2 months back on them. Although they should pay that for being late.

09-26-2005, 06:14 PM
I may be a little late responding to this post but have ya thought about using the Tax2 option. You can use the description " Gas surcharge" and apply a percentage to each service.

Soupy
09-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Sep. 26 2005,6:14)]I may be a little late responding to this post but have ya thought about using the Tax2 option. *You can use the description " Gas surcharge" and apply a percentage to each service.
I like that idea. I'm going to look into it.

Soupy
09-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Gopher, What would be the easiest way to set the tax line up as a item charge? We don't charge tax in my state for lawn care and since I don't sell materials to my customers I never used the tax. I think I have them set on, but marked 0%. I can't remember were to go to set them up.

Gopher Support
09-28-2005, 08:24 AM
You can go to options | billing and set the tax 1 or tax 2 name to whatever description you want (some people have discussed setting this text to read "Fuel Surcharge"). Then go to Options | Tax Region and specify the percentage.