PDA

View Full Version : How to set up sales tax regions

Steve
04-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Step 1. Click on the Options Page and choose the Tax Region Tab. The first sales tax region is your default region and will be yellow. The default tax region is the region each new customer will be placed in unless you choose otherwise.

Steve
04-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Step 2. To add a new region click the New button. A Tax Region Setup window will appear. Enter a Tax Region Description and set your Primary Service & Material Tax Rates. Only use the Secondary Tax area if needed. Such as if you live in Canada or need to collect a county tax as well.

Steve
04-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Step 3. Let us walk through the steps to choose a customer's sales tax region. Click on the Customer section and choose to Edit a customer.

Steve
04-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Step 4. Choose the Billing tab. You can then click on the Sales Tax Region drop down box to choose which tax region this customer should be in. When you are finished click on the OK button.

Steve
04-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Step 5. How to print out your sales tax reports. Click on the Report section and then choose the Sales Tax tab. Click the Tax Summary button.

Steve
04-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Step 6. Choose the Invoice Date Range and the customer group you would like to include in your sales tax summary report.

Steve
04-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Step 7. Preview or Print your Tax Summary Report.

05-04-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm in Texas and the way the taxes work down here, a customer belongs to multiple tax regions: one for the state, one for the city and one for the county (sometimes more). In San Marcos, for example, the customer pays 6.25% to Texas, 1.5% to San Marcos, and (get this) .5% to Hays county OR .5% to Caldwell county. I have set up all of these tax regions, but I can only assign one to each customer. Is there another way to do this, or will I need to set them up as Hays Unincorporated - 6.75%, San Marcos/Hays - 8.25%, San Marcos/Caldwell 8.25%, etc in order to track them properly?

Also, I assumed that since I could post a reply to an instructional thread, it was OK to do so. If not, let me know. Thanks.

Steve
05-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi pagefault,

Quote[/b] ]will I need to set them up as Hays Unincorporated - 6.75%, San Marcos/Hays - 8.25%, San Marcos/Caldwell 8.25%, etc in order to track them properly?
Yes I think that will be the easiest way.