PDA

View Full Version : Major data loss from restore

dogduty
09-27-2004, 07:56 AM
Had to reformat hard drive over the weekend. Since this is my major software for business, I made a back up of my data base and save it to a CD.

Got program reinstalled, did a restore of backup, it shows only my data from the end of MAY! Nothing since except the Late Jobs up till Sep 24th that show jobs not done, yet they were. I made sure I backed up the data, edited the properties of each file (GOPHERBACKUP.ZIP) and (GOPHER2003.GDB) so they can be read.

This is very disappointing cause now I have to complete all jobs from May, go back to my paper copies and enter in each check number. Some of these jobs were not done or postponed or charged less due to some reason and now I dont know which ones.

These backups should have shown all data correct up to this past Friday.

Im a bit upset over this!

Steve
09-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Hi dogduty,

Is it at all possible that multiple back ups from the past were made and an older one was used? If you right click on the gopherbackup.zip file and go to properties you should be able to see when the file was created. If it was created in late May early June then that would tell you this backup was an older file. Let us know if this helps.

dogduty
09-27-2004, 02:13 PM
I made the backup on Friday 9-24-04, I put them into a special folder that I made with other files to burn/backup. This is the file which I then put back on the drive, and told the program where to find it. I had to change the permissions in the properties for each file from read only.

File GOPHER2003.GDB was created 9-25-04
File GOPHERBACKUP.ZIP was created.. ?? 6-4-04 http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Yet these are the files I last created. I've lost all paid invoices from the time I first installed the program back in May as well as payments. It does show all scedualed jobs just not completed.

Ive made backups of both files once a week so ther should not have been any data loss past a week old.

I have all printed jobs, and check copies but I guess the program is not backing up like it should. I'll have to enter every thing in manualy from back in May unless you have other ideas.

Steve
09-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Hi Dogduty,

What is the modified date of the GOPHERBACKUP.ZIP file?

dogduty
09-28-2004, 06:45 AM
The zip file was, to my surpise, dated June. Here was my process.

Once a week I did a back up. Befor I installed a new drive, I backed up the files, burnt them to a CD. I had to reinstall a new copy of Gopher. I then copied the CD files to the hard drive, indicated where Gopher was to restore them from. I pointed to both files.

After this, settings were default, all data was incorrect. Only had info from May when I first installed, till June.

Last night, I did some deep checking. I still had program on old drive. I transfered and copy/pasted only the GOPHER2003.GDB file. Even though I have 2004 version, its been same name since I bought program.

To my surprise, the data is now correct!

It was the zip file which is not correct. Yet its the zip file that is always the one backed up it seems.

Could there be a problem with making the zip file? I even tried the restore for just the .GDB file but didnt work for me. Had to copy/paste it in.

It may just be a fluke glich, but as long as I have my data back im not as up tight now lol. I cant explain it but I wont use the backup zip anymore, I'll do a manual copy/save instead.

thanks

Steve
09-28-2004, 02:02 PM
Hi dogduty,

I am very glad to hear you have got your data back.

Quote[/b] ]I'll do a manual copy/save instead.

As long as you are saving a copy of your gopher2003.gdb file, that is good. That is your database file.

Maybe use multiple disks (5), one for each day of the week. Then each week you can write over your old data.