PDA

View Full Version : mDC/AC Power Inverter

Lawn Magic
02-11-2004, 04:00 PM
I am interested in a 200-400w DC/AC power inverter that plugs into a cigarette lighter to run a 72w laptop, a 75w printer and other maint tools periodically. Does anyone have a suggestion based on actual use about reliability, durability, etc.?

Steve
02-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Hi Lawn Magic,

Here is one listed on ebay with a starting bid of $20.00. Click image for link.

http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/p/110inv/aed200_b.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076546786&category=50588)

Lawn Magic
02-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks, I hadnt run accross that make yet.

Lawn Magic
02-12-2004, 05:08 PM
I have made my selection and ordered this unit for $56 total cost: Vector 400w DC/AC Converter. Tripp Lite, Whistler and Xantra were runner-ups. This unit offered a 2 year warranty, Filtered Modified Sine Wave and has LED readouts to monitor potential problems. Here's a pic for anyone else interested
and Vendor URL:
http://store.yahoo.com/brohmsonlinesales/vediindc400w.html
Now on to the main component, find a decent used laptop to service my needs for a year or two. Anybody interested in buying a a slightly used IPAQ 5450 with a lot of extra goodies?

Steve
02-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi Lawn Magic,

I can't wait to see your mobile office set up.

Lawn Magic
03-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Finally got all my PDA stuff sold on ebay last night...what an experience that was since I've never done any ebaying before. I sold 2 iPAQS (3670 & 5450) and a slew of accessory gadgets. All are shipping out tomorrow. I hope to get a reasonable Thinkpad T-23 there for 600-700 next week. I'm looking at selling and rebuying a laptop about once a year keeping a couple of years behind state of the art on a much lower budget. I think total cost of ownership should turn out to be lower than the PDA route because even the latest and greatest still require to much maintenance time.

Ive tested the HP psc 1200v Printer with the Vector 400 w DC to AC inverter and they both work great off the cig lighter. The printer pulls about 72w while making a copy.

I hope the new and improved Gopher is coming soon, because my season starts tomorrow and my mobile office will be finalized next week. Will the new version have seamless support Quickbooks 2004?

Steve
03-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Hi Lawnmagic,

Please post some pictures of your mobile office setup. Yes we are working on improving our linking with Quickbooks among other things.

Thanks!

Soupy
03-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Did you have to add a second battery to your truck to power that thing? I'm interested in buying one of those. I already have 2 battery's in my diesel. I wonder if would need a 3rd battery?

Lawn Magic
03-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Soupy, so far I have had no problem with just one battery using a printer while my truck is idling. Thanks for the post. After I get a laptop going, as well, I will have my service center look at my setup to check for any problems. I will be running at about a 150w with both devices at maximum draw. Anyone else have experience with this to comment?

BSDeality
03-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Soupy, you should be able to run that computer all day off your dual battery setup in your diesel. There's no need for a 3rd

Craig
04-13-2004, 07:21 AM
What software are any of you running to generate a bid from the truck? I want to be able to input dimensions, and convert them with a preset program.

Gopher Tech
04-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi Craig,

I think Lawn Magic is using Gopher.

Lawn Magic
04-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Craig, Right now I am looking for a used laptop on ebay to complete my mobile office setup in my truck. I am currentlyusing MS Excel to prepare my bids at my office. I have set formulas entered into a measurements spreadsheet template that calculates such things as lawn areas, plantbed areas, etc. Based on the formulas entered and current prices, the following such things are automatically calculated (for a mulching job): Plantbed edging labor (by linear ft), Mulch pick-up and delivery (by total cu yds), Mulch installation labor (by cubic yd), Mulch materials (cu yds), Weed prevention treatment chemicals and labor (per 1000 sq ft). For some services I would just enter the estimated hours for example: Remove weeds and sapplings or trim ground cover. The units here would just be the estimated hours x rate per hour. I have similar bidding tools set-up for other services like lawn renovation, fertilizing, mowing, etc. It takes very little time to prepare a complicated estimated so it can be completed and submitted on site. Currently, I dont think Gopher has the features to make the above calculations. I had submitted a wish list item for this a long time ago and am hopeful these previous ideas have not been forgotten.