PDA

View Full Version : Interbase support?

BSDeality
09-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Is it possible to run the InterBase database management software on another host? I've got another machine (solaris or freebsd) machine that runs some of my other database management softwares. I was exploring Gopher and saw that you can select the database itself, but you cannot change the Server it writes to.

I did some research and i'm pretty sure i'll be able to build interbase on Solaris (ideally) or definitely FreeBSD. I trust my security on my unix machines far more than i do on my windows machine. As well as my HD's in my servers are built for teh long haul, while my office machine is just a laptop with hardware problems.

Gopher Support
09-05-2003, 04:18 AM
Hi BSDeality,
* We too would trust a Unix box over a Windows machine anyday. *While Interbase is available for Unix, Gopher needs its Interbase server to run on a Windows machine because Interbase calls on several external functions which we have only written for Windows. *Interbase's ability to run on Linux was one of the reasons we chose it. *While we may pursue some unix support in the future, we don't have any immediate plans to port those required external functions. *But if there is more interest in it then we will look into it more closely.
Best regards,
Team Gopher

BSDeality
09-08-2003, 04:59 PM
a-o-k. i was just curious, i highly doubt there is enough of a demand to warrent re-writing the code to allow for a unix server use.

thanks for the answer.