PDA

View Full Version : Growth?

Steve
10-17-2005, 02:11 PM
What factors are stopping you from growth?

grounded
10-23-2005, 05:46 AM
Growth requires money - I have little extra of that but, like they say - you have to spend money to make it. Dream Big and it will come your way - never say never or No for that matter and watch what happens! Go back in time when you had zero accounts and re apply that determination today. You can thank me later!

Steve
10-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi grounded,

What are your upcoming plans and what are you spending money on to achieve these plans?

Steve
10-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Complete Lawn Care said

employees, money and time, but not necessarily in that order

Steve
10-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Glan said

If you realy think about it............Nothing.

At least there shouldn't be.

And yet ultimately it would be ourselves

Steve
10-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Ax Man said

I guess I'll second both of those replies.
The area I live in is beautiful, a great place to raise a family, but not high end landscaping by a long shot. We get by. I spend lots of time keeping my machinery running and the overhead as low as possible, but have a hard time finding great help, and without that, how do you find time to sell enough to keep the workers buzy?

Steve
10-26-2005, 06:24 PM
NCSULandscaper said

not going into debt way over my head.........since i prefer to pay for everything up front, i have gotten a few loans to make my next jump and build my credit up enough to get a house in the next year or so.......so to grow more, right now i am hesitant to borrow more money and am just waiting to save up enough.

Steve
10-26-2005, 06:39 PM
MGO said

Working a full-time job as an engineer.....................that is why next year i will be fully self employed (i.e. quiting my corporate job)

I am thinking that the hardest part when i go full-time will be finding good employees

Steve
10-26-2005, 06:39 PM
jake65 said

Starting out. (Period). Next year I am quitting my full time job as a network engineer to start my own business. Taking this next 5-6 mos. to get business up and hopefully running by spring. Yes, I know, if there are no customers by spring, its obvious I am not quitting. But, this winter I will be pounding the pavement for new clients. I may have the oppotunity for a local lco to give up 20-30 of his accounts. He wants to downsize. Currently working on logo. Co. name is "GrassRoots Lawn and Landscape" Motto="Grooming the Landscape of Customer Service". This is where a LCO has to shine. What other variables are going to set you apart from the competitors. Price, this service, that service. Everybody offers them, but I think Customer service is and will be key in the market place. I know this is not a new revelation, but sometimes people stress customer service, but is placed by the wayside. At least from what I see at times. I know we are not magicians and can not cater to every need of the customer, but sometimes those little things you do for customers, will give them the warm and fuzzys. Anyhow, Sorry for the rant.

Take care
Jake

Steve
10-26-2005, 06:40 PM
bulldog26 said

Just doing the books. Keeping track of the money in and out. I started out hoping to make $1000-$1500 mounth and now doing 3 to 4 times that amount part time, taking care of the books has been my biggest challenge.
bt

Steve
10-26-2005, 06:57 PM
tiedeman said

money.

It's kind of like a double edged sword. Because I need to grow, but I need money, but in order to have the money to finance the growing, I first need to grow. Crazy!

Steve
10-26-2005, 06:58 PM
maelawncare said,

Its always like that. Expecially if your trying to get a loan.

The biggest hurdle im haveing as being a solo opp, is getting off my arse and getting to work. Like today, instead of going out and mowing 10 yards and making $500 i sat at home and played on the comp.

Steve
10-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Greenquest Lawn said

An ex partner who will stand to get an even nicer pay off if the business grows this year.........After Jan 1st.....no more worries from him.

Steve
06-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Any updates on what factors are stopping you from growth?

musician/lawnman
06-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Nothing is stopping my other than not enough hours in the day... Success is all mindset, attitude, & follow through.

Even with a horrible economy, twice the competition of any other time period and high fuel prices, my business is growing boarderlining too fast. At first I thought it was just because it was brand new. (i.e. If you start out with 2 customers it's easy to double that next week & then again...) However, a year later I am still adding 2-5 new customers a week an have honed my methods for making upsales to existing customers. My business has considerably beaten last months numbers consecutively for about 7 months straight.

ADVERTISE, & work on honing your marketing to find what works!
For those that say I don't have the money to advertise.... if you don't tighten your belt & spend it today you won't have it tommorow either. It's a vicious cycle up or down so choose your direction carefully.

comanche
06-16-2008, 01:29 AM
I was goin to say the same thing. Not enough time in a day. The next step is to start a division of LPMD for lawn, and gardening seperate so i can get some hired help.

Mike

justin_time
06-16-2008, 01:44 PM
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Steve
06-17-2008, 02:57 AM
When you think of growth, how much does money factor into it versus say, foresight or planning?

Is it difficult to envision where you want your business to be? Is it difficult to plan it? Or is that not important because it's more of you enjoy the journey without the plan?

Steve
07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
I'd like to hear from more members on this topic.

musician/lawnman
07-23-2008, 08:37 PM
To answer you in my opinion Steve....

I think money can be a factor, but a guy can start out with little equipment, if the jobs are done with pride & he takes a little ambition to let people know he is in business it can take off well. One must understand if you don't have the proper tools you really should have yet, any money made is not made.... It should go into more/better equipment. Once the tools are in place to work efficiently then money may be "made". Forsight & planning are huge! No plan? How do you know if your on track? Ahead or behind schedule? If someone were to invest say $5,000 to help you start your business (you might need more but still...) they'd want to see or at least hear a plan! How & where are your customers going to hear from you? What is your pricepoint in the market place? Are you going to be the cheapest mow & go out there? or a premium service at top dollar with flawless results? Is there a market for that?

What's holding me back (a little update on my situation) is the need for a another truck, trailer & 2 more mowers. I could be running a 2nd crew after just more than a year. I got 3 guys (self included) running 27-30 properties a day & doing a great job. I don't want to lay ot the dough for all that til next spring. So I stopped advertising til next year. business is good, ya just gotta do it right, & for god's sake get licensed & insured.

justin_time
07-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm getting at the point where I am getting poor equipment (espcially at 300 hrs) for a tractor that is only 2.5 yrs old.

I am getting fed up with productivity so with the bit of extra money i'm doing this year, I am paying myself a new trailer

And I will finance myself a zero turn mower :D