PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day & 4th of July Marketing Ideas

Steve
05-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Order as many small flags as you need. Punch two holes in your business cards.

Steve
05-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Then slide the flag through the holes.

Steve
05-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Insert the flag pole into lawns.

Steve
05-18-2005, 03:07 PM
From Jennifer

I tried this and it will work. You have to be careful that the pole on the flags used isn't too thick. The one I used is a 4"x6" flag on a 10" pole that's about 1/4" in diameter. This appears to be a much smaller flag than the one pictured. Flags this size are about 3/$1 or $33.33/100 flags. You will also have to take into account the time it will take to assemble these and disburse them as well as locate and purchase them. Perhaps you have a spouse and/or children that can be drafted. If not, you'll have to do it yourself or pay someone else to do it. You may also have travel costs. The current IRS standard mileage allowance is $.41/mile. Your actual costs may be higher. You will also have to consider the cost of the business cards. If you don't have one yet, you can get 250 for the price of the shipping, about $6 at http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/gallery.aspx?g=53. 100 cards would cost $2.40. So if we assume that you'll travel 10 miles and it will take 1 hour to disburse them @ $20/hr, the total cost would be $59.83 if your spouse and kids assemble them. If you assume that your marketing costs are 5% of gross sales, then you should plan to generate about $1,200 in sales.

This is how you evaluate a marketing strategy. Does it seem realistic? If you're really busy, can you afford the time? If you're just getting started, it might be worth your while even if you only pick up one job. Do you want the residential work? If you disburse 100 flags, how many jobs do you expect to generate? What is the average price of a residential job?

I don't know the answers to these questions. These are the kinds of things that you need to ask yourself.

Thanks!

iakentdoz
06-13-2005, 11:57 PM
I bought 600 12" x 18" US flags with 600 "Never Forget" cards from The Flag Company (http://www.flagco.com/index.shtml) and had business cards printed from VistaPrint (http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/sign_in.aspx?) I had to cut 2 small slots on the "Never Forget" card that holds my business card. *I gave 300 Flags/Business card out Last Friday at a local Parade and they went over great. *I could have given away 2 times as many! *I plan on useing the rest of them to stick in lawns of local home owners in my service area.

iakentdoz
06-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Yet another Pic

Steve
06-14-2005, 04:04 AM
Fantastic job! Let us know what type of results you get!

Steve
05-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Has anyone else tried this marketing idea?

Fernando's CleanCut!
05-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Awesome idea!
well I have the business cards, but I want to try it with a flyer attached with be b/cards... maybe with a 10% off yearly mowing before the month is over or something like that...
Is going to be weird tho', me as a immigrant and all that, dont get me wrong I love this country!...

One question: when should we start put this flags out, the 1st? or the 4th?... oh wait, is going to be a weekend...

thank you Jenn!

Steve
05-26-2008, 01:02 PM
My view is that there is never a bad time to do this. When ever you do it, it will get attention.

If you do experiment with this idea take some pictures and show us what you did.