PDA

View Full Version : New customer getting afraid of not having cash

justin_time
05-12-2008, 09:43 PM
I just received an e-mail tonight from a new customer... and I have a weird feeling about this one since the last sentence is basically says can i pay through credit card if cash gets tight...

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Any toughts ?

Here's a quote of the e-mail

Quote[/b] ]
Hi,
Ken Feldt here. Found your card at Lemieux grocery in Alban last year. looking for an estimate to cut our cottage lot at 62 Bakers Bay off of 607. It;s a double lot. Not much around the house but a small field next to it along with rugged piece up front. There is a small marsh in the front part of the extra lot that doesn't get cut. Haven't been there since February but will be up on the 16th for five days. Do you take credit card if cash gets tight?
Thanks,
Ken

musician/lawnman
05-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Do you accept credit?

If so.... *who cares!

At least he's concerned about getting you paid (Which is more than I can say for a few of my customers right now.)

I have one that has several properties worth about $265/mo in annually contracted cuts & $150 a month in per cut services.... Account balance is at about $800! *I'M GETTING PISSED! *I'd gladly take any #### form of payment she offered right about now so who cares what type?! I'm inclined to drop her & but I've been diong the per cut services for her for about a year & she always pays but religiously about 45 days past invoice..... I just started the annuals on new properties a month or so ago for her & stacked some other clean up work on top of that. So the account balance went up quick, but I'm passed the point she usually pays & getting aggrivated.

justin_time
05-12-2008, 10:24 PM
I was just worried he doesn't want to pay me or he has a problem with paying his bills....

StartALawnCareBusiness
05-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Quote[/b] ]I was just worried he doesn't want to pay me or he has a problem with paying his bills....

Do you accept credit cards?

It doesn't seem like a big deal.

It sounds like he doesn't want to be embarrassed if his pockets happen to be empty when you show up to do his lawn.

justin_time
05-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Quote[/b] (StartALawnCareBusiness @ May 13 2008,3:31)]Quote[/b] ]I was just worried he doesn't want to pay me or he has a problem with paying his bills....

Do you accept credit cards?

It doesn't seem like a big deal. *

It sounds like he doesn't want to be embarrassed if his pockets happen to be empty when you show up to do his lawn.
I got Paypal that basically accept credit cards... it's the 1st time a customer asks for credit card. But yeah.. I will probably charge him like 5$ for fees... so yeah

All Aspects Landscaping
05-13-2008, 08:20 PM
cant charge him more... its the cost of doing business

justin_time
05-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Quote[/b] (All Aspects Landscaping @ May 13 2008,9:20)]cant charge him more... its the cost of doing business
Why not

Paypal is charging 2.9% + 30 cents

So why should I be paying for that

gmoney55
05-13-2008, 10:19 PM
I agree with you. If he wants to use a credit card then you should explain to him that you usually don't accept credit cards but if necessary there is a surcharge of whatever price you say for the credit card transaction. Heck with the price of gas as high as it is you should not have to eat the fees for a credit card. Just be up front with him about it and explain it to him. I understand some people say it's the cost of doing business and no charge should be added on but you are doing this for him. It's not like you are doing this for every customer. He should understand.

musician/lawnman
05-13-2008, 10:35 PM
The same way you don't surcharge a customer for stamps or ink or envelopes..... It's part of the costs involved & should be figured into your estimates as a cost of doing business.... either you accept credit cards as payment or you don't.

justin_time
05-13-2008, 10:40 PM
I know nothing is free in the world but the only thing I do for free are my estimates... the rest you want it.. pay up....

Steve
05-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Justin,

You are bringing up a very good question. Check your agreement with paypal. As far as I know most credit card agreements have a section where you agree to charge your customers the same price, cash or credit. Because of the slim margins in gas, gas stations have a separate agreement than other commercial entities.

All Aspects Landscaping
05-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Why not offer credit card services? I mean it is 2008. You have a web site, have a site at the garden show... it only would make sense to me... I mean, I go to the local convience store and buy coffee for $1.49 (gotta have the 24 oz, lol) and I put it on my AMEX. As Ive posted before, we are becoming one of the first paperless landscape companies around. We found a program in which you can do automated billing thru the internet, and have about 1/2 our clients on it. The 1.8% that I pay the CC processor, more than covers the cost of Ink, paper, envelopes, and stamps. Not to mention the time it took my wife to do all the banking.

Another thing I believe, Is that you should establish company policies. If you decide not to take credit cards, then you do not take them. PERIOD. I've found that once you start making exceptions, Its hard to stop. For Instance, you take the credit card for this guy for a maintenance bill that got a little out of hand. Then he will stretch his credit out with you the next time, and do the same. Then he'll want you to do a cleanup and mulch and just expect you to run it on the credit card. Just my .02, but make your policies and stick with them.

Back to the CCs, I am in favor of using the CCs cause you also get your money ASAP. Were probably in a different boat, (9 full timers) so we depend on cash flow. As you grow, you'll start to see how sometimes $3,000 a week in payroll can be tough when you rely on the customers to mail you a check for each service.

And Justin, I didnt mean to come off like an AHOLE.

http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/offtopic.gif Gentlemen, Have a wonderful day!