PDA

View Full Version : Procter & Gamble plans foray into hip-hop

Steve
04-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Is this a good idea or no? P&G is starting a record label, that will utilize the name of their body spray Tag. I am guessing that this is somehow going to be used as a vehicle to help sell more Tag spray.

Could it would? Sure, I guess anything could work. I haven't heard of anyone doing such a thing in recent memory. It seems difficult to bring together artistic ventures like music and record labels with selling products. If the artist says anything that comes out sideways, or if something happens at one of their concerts, P&G is going to be hit with bad press.

I like the idea of working with a star to promote a product but what do you do when the star is on your own record label? It could get messy.

What's your view on this?

Procter & Gamble plans foray into hip-hop (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24096798/) - Consumer products giant Procter & Gamble is getting into the hip-hop business by launching a record label with Island Def Jam Music Group.

The joint venture with be called Tag Records, a nod to Procter & Gamble's's Tag body sprays. It will be run by Island Urban president Jermaine Dupri, who helped produce the latest sales disappointment by his girlfriend, Janet Jackson.

UniversityLandscapers
04-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Man...companies will do anything these days. lol

Seems like a weird idea to me, gotta wonder if they really know what they're getting into.

Steve
04-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Yea it is crazy, that is why it caught my eye.

It's so crazy that MAYBE it could work.

Who would think, you should create a record label to sell body spray!