PDA

View Full Version : Check deposit

googus
04-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Ok guys I am new to this. So go easy on me

I had a customer that did not read the notation on my invoice that stated cash, or check made out to me or cash.

He made the check out to my business.
The question is - will my bank cash it if I don't have an account under that name? I can provide notorized proof of my DBA that shows my name, address, and company name on it?
Thanks

SNethercutt
04-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Probably not. If your in business and have a DBA llc or whatever, you should also obtain a bank account in that name. Why?

A lot of people have home offices and like company's they write what you do off on their taxes. The IRS doesn't believe Joe Schmoe mowed your yard 52 times in 2012, but they will believe Nexus Lawn Care mowed your place 52 times... catch my drift.

Most people won't write out checks to your personal name. Just your business name. Thats why most illegitimate businesses name their company after theirself.

dpld
04-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Probably not. If your in business and have a DBA llc or whatever, you should also obtain a bank account in that name. Why?

A lot of people have home offices and like company's they write what you do off on their taxes. The IRS doesn't believe Joe Schmoe mowed your yard 52 times in 2012, but they will believe Nexus Lawn Care mowed your place 52 times... catch my drift.

Most people won't write out checks to your personal name. Just your business name. Thats why most illegitimate businesses name their company after theirself.

how the hell did you come to those conclusions?

the IRS could give a rats toot about what the name of a business is and coming up with some crap name does not make you anymore legit then the next guy especially someone using their own name.

i am going into my 24th year in business and have been legit before i ever did my first job and i have averaged over 500k or more for the last 10 years and my business is using my name.

the way i see it i have my actual name on the line and i am not hiding behind some cheesy made up name.
cheesy names are for guys who are too ashamed to put their own name on the line and in this day and age good luck finding a name that is unique to you.
if someone has the same name as me then it's tough crap for them because one thing no one can take away from anyone is their given name and i don't have to introduce myself as joe blow from such and such landscaping my business name is my name.

you can't give people crap advice like that and about the only thing you gave that was correct was the bank will not cash his check and he needs to get a business account and other then that everything else you said is about as true as a unicorn is real.

googus
04-14-2013, 05:01 PM
In short do I

Go back to the guy and ask to re-write the check?

Do i need a license to get an account or just the DBA?

If I have to go the license route, that lawn plus two others this week will just pay for the min license fee of 75bucks.

SNethercutt
04-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Well now that some grumpy person got their pantys in a wad. Please go back and re read thecontext in which i used the text and go jump down someone else's throat because I'll make you look like the idiot you are.

And I based those conclusions off two things.
1. He isn't giving an invoice that says "make check payable to". So the customer doesn't have an invoice for their 2013 taxes.
2. Customer wrote check to business name because they can use that check, when they get a copy of it back, at the end of the month. They can file that check the same as a receipt.

And as far as people not putting their name out there, I think it stupid for people to do that. Who gives a rats *** about the name of the guy who owns the company? As long as the work is done properly and in a timely manner, do you think your customer says at the end of the day, "oh joy, he did such a good job, and he uses his real name as his business name, and that just makes the job he did so much better"?

Your argument males no sense as a d.b.a is public information and easily obtained at the county courthouse, some county's have it online.

And who cares that you "put your own name on the line"? Seriously, its just solo freaking awesome you do that. I mean damn, nobody really gives a rats ***.

Cashin H&P
04-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Well now that some grumpy person got their pantys in a wad. Please go back and re read thecontext in which i used the text and go jump down someone else's throat because I'll make you look like the idiot you are.

And I based those conclusions off two things.
1. He isn't giving an invoice that says "make check payable to". So the customer doesn't have an invoice for their 2013 taxes.
2. Customer wrote check to business name because they can use that check, when they get a copy of it back, at the end of the month. They can file that check the same as a receipt.

And as far as people not putting their name out there, I think it stupid for people to do that. Who gives a rats *** about the name of the guy who owns the company? As long as the work is done properly and in a timely manner, do you think your customer says at the end of the day, "oh joy, he did such a good job, and he uses his real name as his business name, and that just makes the job he did so much better"?

Your argument males no sense as a d.b.a is public information and easily obtained at the county courthouse, some county's have it online.

And who cares that you "put your own name on the line"? Seriously, its just solo freaking awesome you do that. I mean damn, nobody really gives a rats ***.

Wow, your acting childish. DPLD is %100 right. And your just making your self looking like a tool. DPLD is probably one of the most respected guys on here. You have been here for a month, and I am already sick of these kind of posts from you.

SNethercutt
04-14-2013, 07:30 PM
You mean quit coming to a place where a bunch of grown men cry and moan like little school girls like dpld did? All because he didn't completely read what I said. That's not a problem.

And you tell me I'm the one being childish. I said MOST illegitimate businesses. And he failed to read the whole thing and then jumped down my throat, and talked about "owners who hid behind a business name" so tell me who was being childish.

willshome
04-14-2013, 07:57 PM
LOL this is just funny

You need to get a business account that way you can deposit any check with any name on it. My bank just had me show them my insurance paper work with business name on it.

I think it is funny to have your checks made out to you not your business name. I tell customers to write checks to WHM (Will's Home Maintenance) or C.A.S.H.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-14-2013, 09:48 PM
One of the first things your supposed to do is get a business checking account. You guys are skipping the basics.

DPLD is right about people having no background in this business and jumping into it. Its one of the things that make landscapers look unskilled. They figure any Joe can do this and then they call him for a drainage problem and he tries to do it and is sued for the cost of a foundation replacement.

Now about using your own name. That was a business model of the 50s. You cant name a fortune 500 company named after the owner. Microsoft isnt going to be called Bill Gates software nowadays. This is how every industry is nowadays. I cant think of anyone I do business with that uses their own name. Not my accountant, insurance company, material suppliers, nursery, the only person that does is my lawyer.

I'm not even knocking the companies named after the owner either. The 3 largest companies in my area are named after the owners. They also been in business 20-100 years. Theres just such a long list of sucessful businesses without the owners name involved. Its just a non factor!

jymie
04-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Ok guys I am new to this. So go easy on me

I had a customer that did not read the notation on my invoice that stated cash, or check made out to me or cash.

The question is - will my bank cash it if I don't have an account under that name? I can provide notorized proof of my DBA that shows my name, address, and company name on it?
Thanks

To answer your question, take your DBA and your drivers license to the bank to open your business account.

dpld
04-15-2013, 07:34 AM
You mean quit coming to a place where a bunch of grown men cry and moan like little school girls like dpld did? All because he didn't completely read what I said. That's not a problem.

And you tell me I'm the one being childish. I said MOST illegitimate businesses. And he failed to read the whole thing and then jumped down my throat, and talked about "owners who hid behind a business name" so tell me who was being childish.

no one is crying here just laughing at your misguided information that you present as fact.

i did not misread your post, you just did a poor job writing it and there is no need to label me or anyone else as being childish just because you made yourself look like a tool and got called out on it.

even by you saying " most " is completely wrong because most illegitimate businesses are not going to use their personal name and risk embarrassing themselves personally.
i don't know your area but in mine 95% of the real companies use their own name as well as the biggest companies i know and some of which are the biggest in the world use their own name.

but the debate is not about what to name your business because that is up to the individual and that is their choice and what ever they feel works best for them.
the debate is about what you said suggesting that there is a particular name to a business that would draw the attention of the IRS.

pay your freaking taxes and register your business, that is how you stay off the bad side of the IRS.

SNethercutt
04-15-2013, 08:37 AM
I guess my mis guided information comes from my area. I am in Houston and we have lots of illegals that barely speak english, and 99% of their company's are named after the person driving the truck. They accept cash, or personal check only. They do not have a bank account, they take them to a friend at the local check cashing place and don't pay any taxes.

We do have a couple big company's that use the last name of the family who runs them, such as Duda Landscaping. But other than that all the big companys have a business name.

Steve
04-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Thanks

You can always try to deposit it and what's the worst the bank will say, No?

However, if you have a dba with a business name, why not get a business bank account with that name? The last thing you want to do is chase down customers and try to get them to re-write the check. Can you? Sure. But it will waste your time. Make it easy for the customer to pay you and stream line the process so you waste the minimal amount of time on this.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

djlandscaping06
04-15-2013, 02:04 PM
how the hell did you come to those conclusions?

the IRS could give a rats toot about what the name of a business is and coming up with some crap name does not make you anymore legit then the next guy especially someone using their own name.

i am going into my 24th year in business and have been legit before i ever did my first job and i have averaged over 500k or more for the last 10 years and my business is using my name.

the way i see it i have my actual name on the line and i am not hiding behind some cheesy made up name.
cheesy names are for guys who are too ashamed to put their own name on the line and in this day and age good luck finding a name that is unique to you.
if someone has the same name as me then it's tough crap for them because one thing no one can take away from anyone is their given name and i don't have to introduce myself as joe blow from such and such landscaping my business name is my name.

you can't give people crap advice like that and about the only thing you gave that was correct was the bank will not cash his check and he needs to get a business account and other then that everything else you said is about as true as a unicorn is real.

That is correct in my area also, the banks will not cash a check made out to my business, will not even let me deposit it in my personal account. I have my business account with my name DBA my business name. That is the best route to go!

googus
04-15-2013, 04:49 PM
I went to a couple of banks today. Most where a minimum balance of 1500.00 to run an account.

I am small and can't do that.

So now what?

willshome
04-15-2013, 04:57 PM
are there TD banks near you they let me do it. the first year $100min then $500 min. if I need to drop below $500 it's a charge of $25 that month

Cashin H&P
04-15-2013, 04:57 PM
If you cant keep $1500 in your account your doing something worng.

jymie
04-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Google small business bank accounts and your city, there has to be a cheap alternative near you. I have First Niagara Bank here and there is no minimum if I have even $20 in the account, I opened it with $100 but am sure I could have opened it for less.

SNethercutt
04-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Wells Fargo small businesses checking is free.

GreenBlue
04-16-2013, 09:53 AM
In short do I

Go back to the guy and ask to re-write the check?

Do i need a license to get an account or just the DBA?

If I have to go the license route, that lawn plus two others this week will just pay for the min license fee of 75bucks.

It depends on what bank you go to, but you should open a business checking account, some banks offer a small business checking account that is free and has no monthly fee, but they are only free if you stay under a certain number of deposits. Basically what you need to open the business account depends on what type of business structure you have. I opened a business checking account at US Bank where I live for my advertising company I had a few years ago and I only needed my business license displaying the business name, its still going to be the same for my lawn service when the time comes. You also will need a photo ID and obviously the check made out to your business. Also banks will not cash checks made out to businesses, you have to deposit those checks into a business checking account, if you want the money from the check you will have to write a check to yourself from the business account, but make sure you list it as "Owner's Draw" as it will be considered income to you the owner coming from the business. Hopefully you can understand what I'm saying here, mind's racing thousand times a minute and was trying to get all of this out before I lost my train of thought, but anyway I hope this helps. LOL :)