PDA

View Full Version : starting in florida.

sotrhRaven
04-10-2013, 02:26 PM
I am starting a business in florida. Hillsborough county to be exact. Do I need a liscense? I called the county, they said I need a tax certificate. Asked price, they said would depend on number of employees. Has any one started one here, any advice?

Thanks,
Ben

stevef1201
04-10-2013, 02:54 PM
The county only requires you have a business tax receipt. You go the clerk of the court and pay your county business taxes (I think about 40 bucks). You may have to pay more if you are using a factious name ie blue sky lawn care. You should also have liability insurance, to protect YOU if you cause damage to some else's property ie throw a stone. YOU MAY NOT USE CHEMICALS including spraying 'just a little roundup' on the crack without a State EPA Chemical Application license. Cost 300 for the test (whether you pass or not) and PROOF of 1 million dollars in liability ins for spraying (BEFORE you get the license)

stevef1201
04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Of course you could just phuck all that and start cutting grass. Not paying your business taxes is tax fraud, and spraying without the license starts at 5000 dollar fine for the 1st offense. But you don't plan on getting caught. right?

sotrhRaven
04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. What kind of insurance coverage? Would general contractor insurance be sufficient. What do you do in the off season? Is it raking leaves and cleaning rain gutters? Yea I want to be legit. Wasn't looking into spraying or applying herbicides or pesticides just yet. My focus will be residential and eventually organic treatments.

Ben:)

Steve
04-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Have you gotten any prices on liability insurance yet? That would be something to look into.