PDA

View Full Version : Pool leveling am I on the right track

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-06-2013, 11:51 PM
The video explains it all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMsVlgDSod8
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YMsVlgDSod8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-07-2013, 09:56 AM
I didint listen to anything you said. I just looked at your hair.

SNethercutt
04-07-2013, 05:18 PM
I didint listen to anything you said. I just looked at your hair.

When I saw the video I didn't even wanna watch it. I'm not being rude just honest. Have you thought of shaving that off, people may be more appt to come talk to you of you were "clean" cut. If you weren't running a business I wouldn't care but you do and you want to look approachable

jrayb39667
04-07-2013, 09:17 PM
I have to LOL.... i actually listened to your video. Why in the hell would you take on a job of that size that you have no idea how to do. if you do get the pool up and water in it. one of the kids could be in the pool playing when it all decides to turn loose and you're opening yourself up for a huge liability suit. I don't think you even have the equipment to pack the dirt after you do get it leveled out do you? I would lick my wounds and tell the lady that I have no idea what i'm doing and just walk away.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-07-2013, 09:56 PM
I have to LOL.... i actually listened to your video. Why in the hell would you take on a job of that size that you have no idea how to do. if you do get the pool up and water in it. one of the kids could be in the pool playing when it all decides to turn loose and you're opening yourself up for a huge liability suit. I don't think you even have the equipment to pack the dirt after you do get it leveled out do you? I would lick my wounds and tell the lady that I have no idea what i'm doing and just walk away.

We were going to rent the equipment to pack it. As for the pool I wasn't going to set it up. I took the job because its original area was not on a step slope then they moved it to a bigger grade so originally it wasn't that hard. But after starting work today the customer comes out and tells me they will do it there selves so I just charged for the labor and dirt. It was aggravating but it's all part of the job.

ratchetmaster2
04-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Seriously...the hair needs to go dude. I thought the exact same thing when I watched your other video about you wanting a brand new truck. It looks ridiculous.

There are 3 types of people:
1) The person who is very experienced and educated. He is more than qualified to do the job properly.
2) The person who knows enough to know that they cannot do the job properly.
3) The person who knows nothing and thinks they can do the job properly.

Take a gander about which type of person you are.

SNethercutt
04-07-2013, 10:25 PM
First thing that really bugged me " the dump truck slide back 5 feet after they put on the breaks...... but that's not my problem"

Correction, that IS your problem. If you are incapable of doing the job, and doing it in the conditions the client gives you, say you cannot do it. It is your problem... if that dump truck wasn't insured and rolled down that hill and hit the house, its your fault. Telling her insurance company "she wanted it there its not my problem" doesn't fly. And judging by your hair I assume your not insured either.

They aren't going to do it themselves. They will hire someone else and the everyone they know you have no clue what your doing.

Solution, to any job you have no idea how to do. You get quotes from other companies to do the job, and tell them you will work for free, to help with some of the cost to get your customer a better price. You work and learn, yes for free. Its not cost effective but don't screw up someone's yard to figure it out. That's absurd.

I'm not trying to knock you, we all gotta learn somewhere.

And yes on a slope, sand will run, on flat ground, if enough water gets to it, it will run. I have had it wash out from under a flagstone patio, I warranty them and I fixed it on my dime. Cost of business. But I know how to do flagstone, I have done many of them.

If I don't know what I'm doing on a job, I get someone who does, and pay them well to work. I am their shadow for the day. I learn. I make notes and apply it to future jobs.

To your dump truck on slope issue. Get a skid steer, and a shovel. Or a wheel barrel and a shovel. Don't risk things like that. I'm surprised that driver did that. If it slid backwards he could have flipped that truck dumping it.

ratchetmaster2
04-07-2013, 10:40 PM
First thing that really bugged me " the dump truck slide back 5 feet after they put on the breaks...... but that's not my problem"
Yeah...my thoughts, too. So much wrong, no point in even trying.

Solution, to any job you have no idea how to do. You get quotes from other companies to do the job, and tell them you will work for free, to help with some of the cost to get your customer a better price. You work and learn, yes for free.

I agree with the idea, but in the world we live in, this isn't always possible. Not all business owners are that open. I would feel weird having a strange guy following me around watching my every move, even if he is throwing me some business.

SNethercutt
04-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Most owners, seeing a young kid trying are more than willing to help. He can't be in lawn care and go to another lawn company and try this. But I am in the lawn & landscape business. I have had many people offer to show me thing I would like to learn but don't currently offer.so it does happen, and is possible as long as you can be productive on the job site and pick things up quickly. Not be the person who has to ask a million questions.

ratchetmaster2
04-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Most owners, seeing a young kid trying are more than willing to help. He can't be in lawn care and go to another lawn company and try this. But I am in the lawn & landscape business. I have had many people offer to show me thing I would like to learn but don't currently offer.so it does happen, and is possible as long as you can be productive on the job site and pick things up quickly. Not be the person who has to ask a million questions.

Either way, Greg, if you are serious about landscaping, I seriously recommend you put this practice to work. You have a lot to learn about what you're trying to sell.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-08-2013, 08:12 AM
After reading the replies I decided I am just going to stick to services I offer.

When I said the ruts in the yard was her problem it was because I told her from the begining that the dump truck was going to tear it up and she was ok with it. After she seen the mess she had an issue.

I do have insurance and so does anyone I hire/subcontract.

ratchetmaster2
04-08-2013, 10:21 AM
After reading the replies I decided I am just going to stick to services I offer.

Best idea you've had yet

bruces
04-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I have installed about 10 pools,including three for myself ,and every set of instructions said to not add material to level the area ,but to dig down the areas that are too high .

Steve
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Greg what is your view now on this experience? What lessons do you feel you learned from it?

Cashin H&P
04-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Ok, Greg, Have you figured out your out of your league now?

CHEESE2009
04-08-2013, 05:21 PM
I think Greg has a lot of drive, and I respect that.

I don't think you should give up on pool installs, but perhaps change your approach. As a businessman, I would feel comfortable advertising pool installs, and subbing the work out to the professionals. Win-Win.

As for what you said about the lawn not being your fault, I understand. Others may have disregarded the context. There are some times when you should go with what the customer allows (driving on the lawn), and then there are times when you should back out; You learn from your mistakes, and I guarantee that we've all done something similar, or worse.

In this case, we learned to add "If I crash into your house with a truck, I am not liable" into your contract.

Maybe even go the extra mile, "Client understands that any/all damages to COMPANY NAME, not limited to its equipment or its employees, must be paid for within 30 days of the incident". :D

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-10-2013, 09:28 AM
I think Greg has a lot of drive, and I respect that.

I don't think you should give up on pool installs, but perhaps change your approach. As a businessman, I would feel comfortable advertising pool installs, and subbing the work out to the professionals. Win-Win.

As for what you said about the lawn not being your fault, I understand. Others may have disregarded the context. There are some times when you should go with what the customer allows (driving on the lawn), and then there are times when you should back out; You learn from your mistakes, and I guarantee that we've all done something similar, or worse.

In this case, we learned to add "If I crash into your house with a truck, I am not liable" into your contract.

Maybe even go the extra mile, "Client understands that any/all damages to COMPANY NAME, not limited to its equipment or its employees, must be paid for within 30 days of the incident". :D

If I ever do that again it will be subbed out.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Greg what is your view now on this experience? What lessons do you feel you learned from it?

Contracts must be more specific.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-10-2013, 09:33 AM
If I ever do that again it will be subbed out.

This is one of the reasons real world experience pays off. If you worked a few jobs before starting your business you would have first hand experience. Its cool to see kids starting a business but theres so much their lacking by not working in the field.

I know when I worked for a company it was all about numbers. Customer retention wasnt a big deal because it was as easy to find a new one to please a existing one. I do the complete opposite to a extent.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Ok, Greg, Have you figured out your out of your league now?

I've been in my "league" but every spring I will take on a few odd jobs just to see if I want to offer them throughout the year.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-10-2013, 12:31 PM
This is one of the reasons real world experience pays off. If you worked a few jobs before starting your business you would have first hand experience. Its cool to see kids starting a business but theres so much their lacking by not working in the field.

I know when I worked for a company it was all about numbers. Customer retention wasnt a big deal because it was as easy to find a new one to please a existing one. I do the complete opposite to a extent.

I try to have exellent customer service because I could have said this is where the dirt will go because that was what was agreed on instead she choose to move it and it resulted in a tore up yard.

I have had the business since 2008 so my main services are built up ( lawn care/mAnence) so now I am working on trying to add a few more services

stevef1201
04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Do you guys have any idea how much work I have turned down because I had no Idea how to do what they wanted? Thousands.

How many headaches have I had over these jobs? None

Know when to say "Sorry, I cannot do that." Priceless