PDA

View Full Version : Business address opinion

figtree
04-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Hello everyone,

Running my business from home should I use my home address or my ups box address which utilizes a suite # on my business letter head, webpage or any type of correspondent etc? Thanks in advance!

Billy Goat
04-07-2013, 06:01 AM
This is a very good question for home base owners that have been in business for awhile. For me this is my first full season. I wanted to stay away from putting my home address if all possible when it comes to the customer. All my legal stuff, I used my home address and all other stuff, I try to use my PO Box number. I rather have a customer send a check to my PO Box than show up at my house. My website and business cards, I use the city and state along with phone number but no street address or PO Box. I don't give out my home or cell phone number either, I use magic jack for my business line (I think I paid $100 for 5 years) I have another 2 years left before renewal. It works great with my iphone because I can link my magic jack to my cell phone to make and receive calls. The caller id shows my magic jack number and not my personal cell number. It like having two phones in one.

ratchetmaster2
04-07-2013, 11:15 PM
I also had the exact same question. I kinda felt a bit weaker because I didn't want to put an address out there. I don't have a PO box because they are a bunch of money where I live. Probably a good idea to get one this year though.
Another disadvantage of the home-grown business.

Steve
04-08-2013, 03:42 PM
I also had the exact same question. I kinda felt a bit weaker because I didn't want to put an address out there. I don't have a PO box because they are a bunch of money where I live. Probably a good idea to get one this year though.

When you are getting started, do what you can do now to get things going and then make it better as you go.

Some people may not mind giving out their home address while others might mind. SO which ever you prefer, roll with it.

GreenBlue
04-08-2013, 09:22 PM
In my previous business I used a post office box, and I will be doing the same thing with my lawn service, if you don't plan on getting that much mail, you can get a fairly decent sized box for not alot of money, I think I paid around $100 for 6 months for my post office box, plus $2.00 for two keys to the box. I did this because I didn't want people knowing where I lived, I mean imagine someone not knowing you are a home based business and showing up at your house thinking they are going to someone's office in an actual building? Not only that but there are alot of creeps out there who if they have your address, while you are out working they can come on by and scope out your property then try some shady crap at night when you've returned home and gone to bed. Maybe this wouldn't happen exactly, but its just another reason why I'd never give my address out and why I used a post office box. Another reason, what if you happen to piss someone off with your business? They know right where you live, you want someone who's pissed coming to your house??? I don't think I would! Of course I'm just saying, so take what you want from it.

GreenBlue
04-08-2013, 09:29 PM
By the way, I just checked the post office website, and for 6 months in my area its now $112 for a post office box, so its only changed $12.00 since 2011 when I had my advertising company, and that's for a 11 inch by 5.5 inch box. Not sure about other areas though....

figtree
04-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Everyone thank you for all your input.....

Steve
04-17-2013, 12:27 PM
What did you decide to go with?

figtree
05-25-2013, 09:21 PM
What did you decide to go with?

I went to the UPS store and got a mail box $120 for a year with 3 months free for new sign ups. UPS they give you a suite number instead of a PO Box number. I think it looks better! Thanks for asking :D

xandrew245x
05-25-2013, 11:40 PM
I personally use my home address and my cell phone. Your home address is public info, as well as your phone numbers. If they person happens to know your name they can do simple internet search and come up with your home address. I would rather walk to my mailbox to get my checks vs paying for and having to drive to a mailbox to get them. If some creep wanted to know where you lived, they would figure it out without you telling them.

As for angry or strange customers showing up at your door, I never had this problem, but if it became a recurring problem with the same customer, you could take legal action.

CHEESE2009
05-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Don't even think about giving out your home address. I don't, but a lot of more-local clients know where I live.

1. I had a client who opened the front door, and let himself in - then he shouted my name while I was having dinner.

2. I had a person who I refused to do work for, park outside my house and wait for me to come out, he was parked for an hour.

3. I had a client ring my doorbell 20 times while I was showering. He wanted to know why I wasn't out cutting his grass (it was raining).

4. I had a client walking on the lawn, peaking through the windows. I have no idea why he didn't call or use the bell, but he wanted a quote for something.

Not enough reason to use a P.O box?

Steve
05-28-2013, 12:35 PM
WOW

Your customers really like to track you down!

Outfield Lawn Care
06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I don't give out my home or cell phone number either, I use magic jack for my business line (I think I paid $100 for 5 years) I have another 2 years left before renewal. It works great with my iphone because I can link my magic jack to my cell phone to make and receive calls. The caller id shows my magic jack number and not my personal cell number. It like having two phones in one.

That is an awesome idea! Thanks!!!

Just for Cuts
06-04-2013, 10:01 PM
You'll have a really hard time using one of the best free advertising tools without a physical address... Google+ / Google Places.

Hedgemaster
06-04-2013, 11:39 PM
You'll have a really hard time using one of the best free advertising tools without a physical address... Google+ / Google Places.

I'm on Google Places.
I did NOT use my home address. I indicated a service area instead.

Just for Cuts
06-05-2013, 09:49 AM
I guess that works if you have your radius set for a large area. I tried it set low (15 miles), but since my internet providers (Comcast) switch is 17+/- miles away, any of my local customers who happen to use Comcast and had their browser location turned on would never see me.

CHEESE2009
06-05-2013, 06:31 PM
I do the same as Hedgemaster.

I think you are able to just drag a position on the map, and set the radius; you should actually be able to just type in a postal code, or a town in the middle of your service area.

Hedgemaster
06-05-2013, 09:42 PM
I guess that works if you have your radius set for a large area. I tried it set low (15 miles), but since my internet providers (Comcast) switch is 17+/- miles away, any of my local customers who happen to use Comcast and had their browser location turned on would never see me.

I really have no idea what a "switch" is, or how it affects what someone sees on a website, but yeah, I drew my exact service area on the map and I doubt any of it is more than 12 miles from home.

I have no idea what anyone else "sees", but I don't care either - I'm not disclosing my home address on there.

Just for Cuts
06-06-2013, 09:06 AM
I really have no idea what a "switch" is, or how it affects what someone sees on a website, but yeah, I drew my exact service area on the map and I doubt any of it is more than 12 miles from home.

I have no idea what anyone else "sees", but I don't care either - I'm not disclosing my home address on there.

Most browsers have the ability to detect the users location. Google gives them their results based on their location, not yours. The "switch" (I may be using the wrong term) is basically where the ISPs network joins the whole mess known as the internet. Sure, I could have set my radius for 25 miles, but people 40 miles away would see me because of this. That's the best way I can explain it.

jimnfor
06-06-2013, 09:25 AM
I personally use my home address and my cell phone. Your home address is public info, as well as your phone numbers. If they person happens to know your name they can do simple internet search and come up with your home address. I would rather walk to my mailbox to get my checks vs paying for and having to drive to a mailbox to get them. If some creep wanted to know where you lived, they would figure it out without you telling them.

As for angry or strange customers showing up at your door, I never had this problem, but if it became a recurring problem with the same customer, you could take legal action.

Good points. Your license plate on your truck will give anyone all the info they need to track you if needed.
None of us are double agents, just go cut some grass! :D

roofcheck
06-30-2013, 12:18 PM
UPS stores can forward all your mail to your home address.