PDA

View Full Version : When to give up trying to contact a customer?

ratchetmaster2
04-06-2013, 11:52 AM
First off - this is NOT if someone owes you money

Here's my question: if someone contacted you for services, you reply to them (in a timely manner), and then they don't reply back, when should you give up trying to get a response?

I have a few examples. I have ads on the internet. A person e-mailed me wanting me to come by for an estimate for mulching and yard clean-up. The person was in a more wealthy part of town, so, of course, it got my interest.
I reply and tell him I am available to come by, give me your address and a time that is good for you. The person replies with his address and a time slot for 3 days in the future. Then 10 minutes later (I didn't even reply) he says "oh no never mind, my wife only wants (then he states exactly what I thought he wanted in the beginning)". I try to bring him back with "certainly, no problem, that's exactly what I specialize in, etc"

Never heard back from him. I replied to his e-mail again 2 days later. Then I saw in one of his e-mails he had a signature type thing with his phone number. I called and left a message saying who I was and that I would love to help out with xxx.

This is definitely an account I would like to have. I have his address, e-mail, and 2 phone numbers. I have nothing to lose by continuing attempts of contact, but when should I give up?
I'm also asking this because I've heard from many salesmen that the key is persistence. Not being annoying, but you have to keep in contact, so when they do agree to buy, they don't go to someone else.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-06-2013, 12:00 PM
At this point your being a pest.

I had someone contact me with a drainage problem. I emailed them two options with no prices and never heard back. Emailed them one more time and that was it.

Youll get these a lot. I dont have the time to waste chasing customers. You did all you can do.

stevef1201
04-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I make ONE reply email or phone call. That's it. More than that you sound desperate.

LawnBoy0311
04-06-2013, 03:02 PM
I make ONE reply email or phone call. That's it. More than that you sound desperate.

I'm about the same...I email/call with a quote. If I don't hear from them, I'll email or call them to follow up. If still no answer, I move on.

The Cleaning Doctor
04-06-2013, 03:37 PM
The day before yesterday.

ratchetmaster2
04-06-2013, 07:44 PM

Yeah. That's probably a good rule of thumb.
Kinda bummed though. oh well

wat5150
04-06-2013, 08:03 PM
The day before yesterday.

LOL. If they are really interested they will most likely call or email back and say your quote was too high and then maybe you can work it out. I just quoted a guy $900 for spring cleanup, edging a ton of gardens and 8 yards of mulch. I know hes got some money just by the real estate he has. Never heard back. he used to do all the work himself and now he cant. Lots of people that dont want to spend $ or they think you are way high because they just dont realize the cost of labor and materials and your general overhead. Follow up but dont pester them.

ratchetmaster2
04-07-2013, 12:06 AM
LOL. If they are really interested they will most likely call or email back and say your quote was too high and then maybe you can work it out. I just quoted a guy $900 for spring cleanup, edging a ton of gardens and 8 yards of mulch. I know hes got some money just by the real estate he has. Never heard back. he used to do all the work himself and now he cant. Lots of people that dont want to spend $ or they think you are way high because they just dont realize the cost of labor and materials and your general overhead. Follow up but dont pester them.

That's true, but I didn't even give this guy a quote or anything. He gave me his address and a time to come out for an estimate then said nevermind 5 minutes later.

The people who are serious understand the value of the work at hand

A couple of weeks ago (a complete waste of my time) this woman calls me up wanting a bunch of stuff done. She had very minor dips in her front yard but wanted everything re-leveled, "and throw some new sod on top, too". Then she wanted extensive drainage to be put in, and a huge tree cut down. She wanted an estimate on the spot, and of course I didn't have an exact number, but I told her it would be several thousands of dollars. Seriously like 2 weeks of work for me, probably $5000 or something with materials.
Then she says "ohhh....that's a lot of money...I only have $400 to spend.. Call me if you can do it for $400, I can wait"

JimAdams
04-07-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure I understand why you'd want one customer or one account in a given part of town. (Is that efficient?) Building a cluster makes a lot of sense, though, so I think you might go back at the guy, and his whole neighborhood, in a different way.

"They" also say that people have to see an ad like ten times before they'll buy something or remember the company/product. So you might do flyers in that neighborhood. Maybe he'll not only see it again, but a bunch of his neighbors will too. Then you aren't bugging him directly and if you get more customers instead of just him, that's a real efficiency win.

ratchetmaster2
04-07-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm not sure I understand why you'd want one customer or one account in a given part of town.

The specific part of town he was in is VERY wealthy. Jaguars, Aston Martins, Ferraris, Lambos, Land Rovers, Porsches, Masaratis, that's all you see. Average house in my neighborhood is like $300k? Average house in that part of town would probably be $2m. Only 10mins away.
Understand?

Steve
04-08-2013, 03:37 PM
This is definitely an account I would like to have. I have his address, e-mail, and 2 phone numbers. I have nothing to lose by continuing attempts of contact, but when should I give up?

Can you put them on your mailing list and send them information throughout the year for different services?

What's the harm in that? Sure you might not have gotten this job, but you already have made a contact with them and being around may help you get a future job.

GreenBlue
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM
The specific part of town he was in is VERY wealthy. Jaguars, Aston Martins, Ferraris, Lambos, Land Rovers, Porsches, Masaratis, that's all you see. Average house in my neighborhood is like $300k? Average house in that part of town would probably be $2m. Only 10mins away.
Understand?

Welcome to life, you don't always get what you want!

ratchetmaster2
04-09-2013, 01:32 AM
Can you put them on your mailing list and send them information throughout the year for different services?

What's the harm in that? Sure you might not have gotten this job, but you already have made a contact with them and being around may help you get a future job.

That's a good idea. That's probably something I'll end up doing. But then again, I don't know. Thinking back, they seemed kind of flaky to change their mind completely in 5 minute window.

LawnBoy0311
04-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Understand?

Gee, are we talking about a town that starts with a P and ends with a C? If you look on the top 10 wealthiest counties in the country, the DC Metro area has quite a few!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States

ratchetmaster2
04-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Gee, are we talking about a town that starts with a P and ends with a C? If you look on the top 10 wealthiest counties in the country, the DC Metro area has quite a few!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States

Oh yeah definitely. Montgomery county has slipped down the list A LOT though.
Yeah, the guy was in upper Bethesda bordering Potomac

LawnBoy0311
04-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Oh yeah definitely. Montgomery county has slipped down the list A LOT though.
Yeah, the guy was in upper Bethesda bordering Potomac

Ya they have. Its mostly Wheaton that drove it down. Lots of stabbings over there. I head germantown is slipping too? It's been a while since I went out that way.

It gets me when people ask what we charge....look at our cost of living. Average household income for my town....$98,000. Average household income in my town in NC....$32,000. Going to the Mont. County mall and parking next to a $100,000 Porsche is an everyday thing....it's nuts!

So driving a little extra to service a guy in Potomac/North Bethesda....yeah...it's worth it!

ratchetmaster2
04-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Ya they have. Its mostly Wheaton that drove it down. Lots of stabbings over there. I head germantown is slipping too? It's been a while since I went out that way.

It gets me when people ask what we charge....look at our cost of living. Average household income for my town....$98,000. Average household income in my town in NC....$32,000. Going to the Mont. County mall and parking next to a $100,000 Porsche is an everyday thing....it's nuts!

So driving a little extra to service a guy in Potomac/North Bethesda....yeah...it's worth it!

I don't know much about Germantown other than it's far away and has lots of townhouses. That's like 20-30 miles north of me on 270. Probably half the calls I get are for people wanting their townhouse mowed in Germantown.
I'm sure it's still very affluent though. Full of townhouses with HOAs.
Wheaton isn't THAT bad. But more and more of the illegals are moving in. More and more stores are becoming pupuseria vendors and peruvian chicken joints. There is a lot of government subsidized housing, and, of course, the huge public transportation system just multiplies all those factors.

I used to mow a few houses right over the PG line in Calverton. The area and houses were actually really nice despite the bad rep that PG gets.