PDA

View Full Version : When to mow, collect, when do they pay...etc...

cuttingedgeron
04-05-2013, 01:06 PM
The title is broad, I know. My question is, do you mow when the customer calls you or do you come on your own time? How is your schedule set up? Also, how are you guys collecting payment? Go to the door, wait for it in the mail, customer comes out and brings it, automatic payment......which one or is it different?

LawnBoy0311
04-05-2013, 01:17 PM
The title is broad, I know. My question is, do you mow when the customer calls you or do you come on your own time? How is your schedule set up? Also, how are you guys collecting payment? Go to the door, wait for it in the mail, customer comes out and brings it, automatic payment......which one or is it different?

Heres how I do it.

I schedule my route to make sure I get max productivity. Customers don't dictate when they want to be cut.

Payments are all prepaid. April 1 I mailed out invoices to be due April 20th for May service.

tk4454
04-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Heres how I do it.

I schedule my route to make sure I get max productivity. Customers don't dictate when they want to be cut.

Payments are all prepaid. April 1 I mailed out invoices to be due April 20th for May service.

That sounds good in a perfect world, but for small company's like mine, I kind of got to do the work when the customer wants it and how they want it, my commercial accounts I can do when convenient, but some homeowners like to be home. and on those ones I collect afterword's. I make more that way anyhow then having them pay in advance expecting a discount

stevef1201
04-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Some people pre pay, some pay for the month by the 15, some pay after the end of the month. I go by gut feeling when I tell them about paying. I have only ben wrong about a hundred time, haha. I have 6 customers that have given me checks for the next 6 months. I had one guy who gave me a check for the year (at 145 a month).
Plan on having some of your customers stiff you, Just don't let em get into you too much

LawnBoy0311
04-06-2013, 02:20 PM
That sounds good in a perfect world, but for small company's like mine, I kind of got to do the work when the customer wants it and how they want it, my commercial accounts I can do when convenient, but some homeowners like to be home. and on those ones I collect afterword's. I make more that way anyhow then having them pay in advance expecting a discount

I'm a small guy too. I'm a part timer. I work a full time job and do this after I get off work. I just don't bring it up to the customers at all....they ask to get the lawn cut and I say YES!!! I don't give details on the days I go or anything like that. This way I make up my own schedule. If some request a day,I just tell them its impossible....mother nature dictates when I can cut. They never argue with that.

For payments, I bill in advance. For example, April 1st I send invoices out for May. They are due April 20th. I don't have to wait for payments or double back to customers because they forgot to leave a check for me.

Steve
04-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Some people pre pay, some pay for the month by the 15, some pay after the end of the month. I go by gut feeling when I tell them about paying.

Do you size up their financial situation or how do you go about figuring which payment method to suggest to them. Also, what is your take on why not one method?

CHEESE2009
04-08-2013, 02:19 PM
1. Have the clients pay you in advance with post-dated checks, and agree to deposit them on the dates you outline in your contract (if you have one). Offer no refunds on checks that have been deposited. Clients who want to cancel can simply cancel the check(s) that you have not deposited. Win-Win.

2. Show up every week, never every second week no matter what.. I wont get into why, because I'm lazy right now........ You choose the weekday you will arrive, but make it consistent throughout the season, e.g.: You show up to client_1's house every Monday.

3. Collect the post-dated checks in person. Don't let them mail the checks to you, or you'll be waiting for years. Don't use PayPal unless all of your clients have the same price.

As far as I know, PayPal has an option to let the client decide what amount to enter, which could cause problems, e.g.:

"I know you charge $150, but I put $149... I hope that's ok".
"I know you charge $150, but I only put $25. I'll put another $25 next month".
"I paid for half now, I'll pay the other half when you finish the work".

Make your life easy from the start, or else you'll be spending all of your time, and even weekends chasing your clients for their payments.

Be strict.

cutnuplawnservice
05-18-2013, 08:46 AM
So far all of my clients are cash or chk at time of service except:

I have 1 who mails it - takes about 5 days even though we both live in the same town!

I have 1 who gets the service 2 times month and pays the whole amount on the last service of the month.

I have 1 who paid for 4 services in advance.

I have 1 who will possibly stiff me, but you know I will NEVER let that happen again lol :)

Hedgemaster
05-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Mow when it works best for you.
You can accommodate SOME people, but not all.

I collect at time of service for 90% of mine.
And by that I do NOT mean that I "wait around" to be paid. If you do, you are losing money every minute you stand there waiting for them to answer the door.
My favorite are the old ladies who answer the door and THEN have to go write out the check. You know, because it just might be DIFFERENT this week. :rolleyes:
HAVE YOUR FREAKING CHECK READY!!!
(I only have one person like this - she will probably be gone by next season)

I also make it known that they may pre-pay, as it may be more convenient. Prepayment for at least two cuts is what I ask.

I only "bill" a few people, but they are the trustworthy ones.

Mostly, this is where I get paid...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yEhCZkJB3DA/Tf97jWTtefI/AAAAAAAAY4U/PI5ZeCGgZjs/s1600/Welcome.jpg

;)

Von Bobbeh
05-30-2013, 12:37 PM
I get paid via door mat, some prepaid, some pay cash after X amount cuts (local only) and mostly I send out bills at the end of the month.

However cleanups and large projects I bill immediately afterwords and if my gut says they need to pay half upfront, they pay half upfront!