PDA

View Full Version : make life easier mulch job

tk4454
04-02-2013, 11:16 PM
So I am somewhat new to doing mulch jobs. I have done a few the old traditional way I have a wheelbarrow, my pick up truck and trailer full of mulch, and a few young men with shovels and gloves. I proceed to haul it form spot a to b with a wheelbarrow where I dump it out and spread it. If I wanted to make the job any easier what process should I upgrade get a bark sprayer or something? and usually I dig the beds out a bit use landscape fabric and put new mulch. I just like to hear some tips from the pros, or what equipment I should upgrade first. for a 5 yard mulch job. Thanks in advance.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-02-2013, 11:35 PM
5 yards is still a small job you should just use wheelbarrows. If it was a bigger job you could rent a skid.

A bark blower does 100 yards a hour and has limited reach. You probably couldnt find one for less then 20 grand used.

I would look into a compact tractor like a kubota or a small skid steer. They both have several uses and you can find them for $5000-$8000. Sometimes you can even find a older garden tractor with a little bucket. You barely see these anymore and it would be useless for anything else but it would move mulch fast.

tk4454
04-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the input, a Kubota tractor, yeah that would be nice. would eliminate the need for a wheelbarrow

Steve
04-03-2013, 12:53 PM
If it was a bigger job you could rent a skid.

At what size job does this become helpful? Same with the compact utility tractor?