PDA

View Full Version : What a mower tragedy !

Steve
03-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Andrew,

Ultimately kids will be kids right? Thanks to you being on the look out, you were able to avert a disaster. Sorry about the problem that went on with the grandmother, but these kids will grow and forget about this incident and still have their arms intact. You did a good job.

UniversityLandscapers
03-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Tragic story, but it really isn't the mower company's fault...if the mower was made in the last 10 years, it would ultimately have some kind of shut off if no one was riding/pushing it (didn't say what kind of mower it was). The judge may honestly not have thought that MTD was wholly to blame, but moreso rewarded the family for their losses.

Other cases like this have come up, where the damages awarded are not so much punitive to the defendant, but more in the form of a reward to the plantiff for their trouble. This brings to mind a case we had here in BC, where a guy who was snowboarding for the second time in his life while on a school ski trip decided he would try the advanced terrain park and broke his back on a 20' jump. The judge awarded him a settlement from both the mountain and the school district, but rejected request for punitive damages, simply awarding some money for extra medical expenses and some hardship (loss of potential income or something like that...).

Larry's Lawns
03-22-2008, 07:40 AM
the whole concept of laws create safety has momentum that has reached the unreasonable threashold.. yes, there is a need for some laws, but it seems too many think it's the cure all method. my impression is personal responsibility is a dying concept because of the belief in laws.

I mow a family violence shelter's lawn. If a child comes outside, the lawnmower gets shut down. Not because of any laws, but because I would feel awful if one of them gets hurt by my flying debris. I won't start back up until the child is back inside.

I have also encountered neighbor's kids in their yards while I'm mowing. It's a little uncomfortable and inconvenient, but if my attempts to find another place to mow until the child is gone don't remove the risk I'll ask their parents to cooperate. Amazing to me is that a couple of times the neighbor parents were obstainant to the point of me having to shut down, tell my customer why and offer to come back another time. Sometimes the parents finds it less offensive for their neighbor to ask them to remove their children from danger.

It's hard for me to 'get it' really, but obviously there are young adult parents out there who don't see the danger in their kids being around mowers.

Steve
03-23-2008, 04:19 AM
Quote[/b] ]but obviously there are young adult parents out there who don't see the danger in their kids being around mowers.

I think that is a very good explanation of it. I am also glad to see the precautions you are taking. Better safe than sorry.