PDA

View Full Version : Educational Courses

doug1980
03-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Thought I would share some great courses that I have taken, or will be taking eventually. All of these are online or correspondence courses that can be done in your spare time, if you have any.

Purdue University http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/urban/Urban_Info/courses.html

•Introduction To Urban And Industrial IPM
•Food Plant IPM
•Turfgrass IPM
•IPM in Public Buildings and Landscapes
•Termites and Other Wood-Destroying Pests IPM
•Advanced Urban/Industrial IPM
•Invasive Borers IPM
•National Wildlife Control IPM

University of Georgia http://www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/ppd/courses/turfgrass-management/principles-turfgrass-management

•Principles of Turfgrass Management
•Sports Turfgrass Management

ratchetmaster2
03-31-2013, 10:12 PM
Those are good links!

kslawn
04-01-2013, 06:10 AM
I've been looking into doing a small engine repair course...I'm good at diagnosing most things & repairing them anyway so I thought why not! Will probably start this summer & hopfully finish by next sring..I think it will be a good fit & make some money in the slow times......

Steve
04-01-2013, 01:52 PM
That is fantastic! What got you interested in taking those courses and how have they since helped you?

Are you including this in any of your marketing or on your website?

doug1980
04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
That is fantastic! What got you interested in taking those courses and how have they since helped you?

Are you including this in any of your marketing or on your website?

Being from Indiana originally I dealt with Purdue a lot so those courses just seemed like a great idea. I then became a member of PLANET and seen they had a certification in Turfgrass Management offered by The University of Georgia so I decided to take it. I'm still taking this class, and I highly recommend it. Very good stuff pertaining to this field. Most of the Purdue courses are for General Household Pest, but that's what I prefer.

When I finish the Georgia course, PLANET sends marketing materials for the Landscape Industry Certification that they award. Patch, decals etc.

Steve
04-02-2013, 11:46 AM
That is great! I am sure all this education will help you continually grow.

doug1980
12-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Just finished the PLANET course in Turfgrass Management. Now I'm an Landscape Industry Certified Lawn Care Manager. I have to recertify every two years by doing 24 CEU's. Very educational and in depth course. I highly recommend it.

Steve
12-23-2013, 01:09 PM
That is great news. Can you share with us a few lessons you learned through that program that you didn't know before?

Also, how will you use this new certification in your marketing?

doug1980
12-24-2013, 07:39 AM
That is great news. Can you share with us a few lessons you learned through that program that you didn't know before?

Also, how will you use this new certification in your marketing?

I learned a lot about soils and plant physiology that I didn't really know about before. Lots of good info about diseases and insects too. Most of it was similar to the State L&O Exam.
PLANET sent me a marketing tool kit to use. Pretty good stuff. Plan on putting it on my business cards, company website, on my work truck etc.

Steve
12-24-2013, 08:41 PM
That will be interesting to see how the new marketing material responses compare to marketing material you have used in the past.

Gforce
01-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Yep, those are good courses, I am studying principles of turfgrass magnament from Georgia university, I have been learning a lot. After this I may take one of those courses at Purdue, and then go for PLANET certification.

cwilliac
01-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Some interesting courses can be found here

http://education-portal.com/articles/List_of_Free_Online_Horticulture_Courses_and_Train ing_Programs.html

and these are free. Scroll way down the page.

Ronnie Tomassetti
01-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Some interesting courses can be found here

http://education-portal.com/articles/List_of_Free_Online_Horticulture_Courses_and_Train ing_Programs.html

and these are free. Scroll way down the page.

Hydrophonics sounds interesting since pot is legalize

cwilliac
01-09-2014, 04:08 PM
There is a landscaping company in my area that operates several large greenhouse projects to supply the plants for their customers, I have wondered if a good hydroponics system could do this more efficiently. Food for thought - and I have began construction on a small experimental unit. Very interesting stuff.

Ronnie Tomassetti
01-10-2014, 06:40 PM
There is a landscaping company in my area that operates several large greenhouse projects to supply the plants for their customers, I have wondered if a good hydroponics system could do this more efficiently. Food for thought - and I have began construction on a small experimental unit. Very interesting stuff.

Are you building a Glass or plastic? Greenhouses is cool stuff. Hard and expensive but very profitable! I took a semester in plant biology and greenhouse management and it thought me a lot about plant life, health, how to manipulate and How to create cultivars of plants.

All you need is a irrigation and a good greenhouse with direct sunlight and placed north to south. The rest is Manipulation.

Steve
01-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Hard and expensive but very profitable!

If you put together a green house, what kind of plants would you grow?

Ronnie Tomassetti
01-13-2014, 05:02 PM
If you put together a green house, what kind of plants would you grow?

Annuals. It is low price with a big profit. Its all about planning and space management. a cell cost approx. $.20 (seed, cell , and topsoil) . $6.00 a 30 cell flat. add water to the bill. Lets say $1 so now its $7.00 . Wholesale is $12 plus tax which gives you a $5.00 profit . a small greenhouse 50*30. Lets say you can put 16 across and 50 down .cost $4800 return wholesale $9600.00 retail $14440.00.

Steve
01-14-2014, 11:16 AM
That is very interesting! Is this something you could experiment with on a small scale and then scale up as needed? Or would you rather just build something the size you want when you are ready?

Ronnie Tomassetti
01-14-2014, 12:22 PM
That is very interesting! Is this something you could experiment with on a small scale and then scale up as needed? Or would you rather just build something the size you want when you are ready?

If were to do it I would start on a very small scale. There is a science to greenhouse management. A greenhouse is a man made environment where the the greenhouse keeper is God. As God, you have to minulape.

Steve
01-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Well when you get working on it, I'd love to see some pictures of what you create :)

quinlow
01-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Ive been looking at planet all day. Seems very educational and proffessional. Im trying to get my boss looking into it more.if he doesnt i will pursue on my own.

Steve
01-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Which classes were interesting you the most and which would you like to take?