PDA

View Full Version : Price on new rings for kohler 16 hp

wat5150
03-30-2013, 03:52 PM
I was wondering if any of you out there have an answer for this. Maybe if wandfsmall is out there he can help. I looked at an older walker the other day. It was pretty rough. The guy said the batt was dead so it wouldnt turn, no power at all. he said its been leaking oil into the exhaust. So rings perhaps?? Its a kohler 16 hp with a ton of hrs on it. Something like 2000 I think he said. I think I could get the guy down to a decent price given the engine condition. He said it cut good but I havent seen it do anything. So I was wondering how much for a ring job on this motor?

wandfsmall
03-30-2013, 08:37 PM
I was wondering if any of you out there have an answer for this. Maybe if wandfsmall is out there he can help. I looked at an older walker the other day. It was pretty rough. The guy said the batt was dead so it wouldnt turn, no power at all. he said its been leaking oil into the exhaust. So rings perhaps?? Its a kohler 16 hp with a ton of hrs on it. Something like 2000 I think he said. I think I could get the guy down to a decent price given the engine condition. He said it cut good but I havent seen it do anything. So I was wondering how much for a ring job on this motor?

without more info it would be hard for me to give you an exact cost, I would say rings would be a good guess as to the problem however the price is WAY high, I see decent mowers come up in that price range that will not require hours of work to get going again. I would say $1200 max for that.

wat5150
03-30-2013, 09:34 PM
No 2000 were the hours on the machine. He was asking 1200. I was thinking I could get him down to 900.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-30-2013, 10:48 PM
If I remember right you can get piston and rings for about $70.

If you need rings count on the piston and cylinder being toast.

So either look for a short block kit or bring the block to a machine shop. Theyll tell you what size piston to get since theyll bore it out and it might change from the original specs. I've done this a few times and this is how you do it if you want it done right.

wandfsmall
03-31-2013, 09:39 AM
If I remember right you can get piston and rings for about $70.

If you need rings count on the piston and cylinder being toast.

So either look for a short block kit or bring the block to a machine shop. Theyll tell you what size piston to get since theyll bore it out and it might change from the original specs. I've done this a few times and this is how you do it if you want it done right.

If you can not get to a machine shop a dealer can do this for you in fact would probably do a better job as they know how deep to go, basically you need a good hone and some measuring tools to make sure you get the right parts. you want to have them take off as little as possible as the more you take off the less likely it is to take. I would also price a new engine, depending on where you are you might be able to find a deal that is cheaper then the labor to get it done right.

As for the $70 for rings and piston that is a good estimate however without the numbers you have about a $100 swing so I hate to estimate blindly on here.

ratchetmaster2
03-31-2013, 10:38 PM
LOL WTF?!! Is this a joke?

Let me get this straight...
Blown rings
Burns oil
Dead battery
couple thousand hours
he's asking $1200

and you are CONSIDERING this?

I bought a 61" hydro Scag with a perfect running 20hp V-Twin Kohler motor for $320. The mower worked fine, needed $50 in parts for the airbox.
I sold that mower as-is today for $750. I felt extremely lucky and satisfied as a salesman to get $750.
You're gonna pay $900+ for a beater mower with a blown engine??
So...when can I sell you a bridge?

To answer the question: Motor needs to be honed, oversized piston, oversized rings, and dissembly/assembly labor = very much not worth it. Most likely also needs crank looked at/polished. Transmission or Hydros are probably blown with that type of use. Plus $100 for the battery.

wat5150
04-01-2013, 06:53 AM
LOL WTF?!! Is this a joke?

Let me get this straight...
Blown rings
Burns oil
Dead battery
couple thousand hours
he's asking $1200

and you are CONSIDERING this?

I bought a 61" hydro Scag with a perfect running 20hp V-Twin Kohler motor for $320. The mower worked fine, needed $50 in parts for the airbox.
I sold that mower as-is today for $750. I felt extremely lucky and satisfied as a salesman to get $750.
You're gonna pay $900+ for a beater mower with a blown engine??
So...when can I sell you a bridge?

To answer the question: Motor needs to be honed, oversized piston, oversized rings, and dissembly/assembly labor = very much not worth it. Most likely also needs crank looked at/polished. Transmission or Hydros are probably blown with that type of use. Plus $100 for the battery.

Yes I am considering it. If I could get this mower and possibly rebuild the engine for a decent price. I dont know if youve heard but a walker is a pretty nice mower. So if I could get it for cheap and overhaul the engine I could potentially have a good back up.

SNethercutt
04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
I would say look at all your options.

If you buy the mower and the motor is completely blown for a new motor your looking at $1,400 to 2,000. I'm saying that just so you know WORST case scenario you will be in this thing 2,000+

That's worst case. If its rebuildable, and you have the know how and will be doing most of the work yourself besides the machine work, I say go for it if that what you enjoy doing. I have never used a walker machine but have seen them on CL. I would say like any mower with 2000 hrs. Its like buying a car with 150,000 miles. The little things will start to go. So keep that in mind.

If you can get this motor going for less than $400 I think its well worth it as you could probably get another 2,000 hrs out of it.

ratchetmaster2
04-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Go ahead. Buy the mower for $900. Dump $1000 into fixing the engine. Have fun spending weeks on that. Then have fun with it, when you could have bought a perfectly fine mower for $1200 just like wandfsmall said.

I wouldn't offer him more than $200 for the mower. I suggest you do the same. But don't listen to me. I'm just a guy who drives my business into the ground buying blown equipment and losing money on it.

Steve
04-01-2013, 02:04 PM
If you can not get to a machine shop a dealer can do this for you in fact would probably do a better job as they know how deep to go, basically you need a good hone and some measuring tools to make sure you get the right parts. you want to have them take off as little as possible as the more you take off the less likely it is to take.

Have you found much in the way of issues dealing with an engine that has been honed and using factory spec pistons and rings? Does the machine shop honing ever get to the point where it takes too much of the inner wall out and it becomes 'boring' versus 'honing?'

At that point do they make pistons in larger sizes that can be used in engines that are bored out?

wat5150
04-01-2013, 02:13 PM
I think if it got bored out too much it would be an issue getting the right pistons.