PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

wilcox_11
03-29-2013, 07:59 PM
So i ran into a guy today i went to school with. He is looking at getting rid of approxamatley 50 residental properties and just doing commercial. He has offered to me free of charge. My question is how do you guys figure out what you need to make a year to be full time. I need to net 35,000 a year to be where i'm at now. But obviousally i will be paying for fuel, equipment, parts, vehicle maintnance, taxes. so how do i figure what i need to gross. Also he has a z turn husqvarna p-zt60 he has 140 hours he wants what he owes agaist it which is like 3,500 to 4,000. should i get it or buy new?

djm2013
03-29-2013, 09:11 PM
So i ran into a guy today i went to school with. He is looking at getting rid of approxamatley 50 residental properties and just doing commercial. He has offered to me free of charge. free, really is it free 50 clients could be 100k in this market.My question is how do you guys figure out what you need to make a year to be full time. this is a little confusing, some people make 200k part time some make 15k full time... I need to net 35,000 a year to be where i'm at now.you wont your first year, trust me. But obviousally i will be paying for fuel, equipment, parts, vehicle maintnance, taxes.blades, filters,oil,insurance,truck wear and tear, labor costs, material cost, fuel mix, trimmer line, dumping fees, grass bags, cell phone, fax,quickbooks, accountant fees for taxes , sales tax, income tax, unemployment insurance, workers comp, day labor, food in the field, time away from loved ones, so how do i figure what i need to gross. Also he has a z turn husqvarna p-zt60 he has 140 hours he wants what he owes agaist it which is like 3,500 to 4,000. should i get it or buy new? get something that will make you the most efficient on the properties he has, if there all 3 acre lots get 50" or bigger if there small get a high end walk behind with a sulky.

Your asking something that cant be answered correctly.

first off, do you own any equipment.

50 free accounts is great, whats the catch.

to say you need to make a 35,000 profit, I would say you need to make at least 3000 a week in sales for a 26 week mow season.

wilcox_11
03-30-2013, 09:05 AM
there is no catch they own a logging company too. They want to do that this summer instead. yes i do have equipment.

SNethercutt
03-30-2013, 02:41 PM
I would say take them. Invest in the equipment. I know right now you can finance Gravely through Sheffield for 0%. A 5,000 mower will run you less than $100 a month or close to it. Bob Cat is another one to look at. Don't go buy an 8,000 commercial mower out of the gate. You don't even know if you like this or how many customers will stay with you.

What is the average lot size in your area that you will be mowing?

My suggestion, go look at a gravely Zt 48 XL probably cost you 3,800.

They are not top quality for commercial, its not their commercial line but with the lifetime warranty deck and a Kawasaki motor, you will be good to go.

If you have a bunch of yard with small gates get a 32" gravely gear drive walk behind. $2,500.

I assume you have a truck.

Then you will need string trimmer, and blower. String trimmer buy new $300 to $400 for a good one. But don't knock the husquvarna straight shafts at home depot. A lot cheaper and will last you at least 2 seasons.

Search around pawn shops for a new used blower. I picked one up for $99 said it didn't run.... spark plug wasn't all the way in. Runs like a top.

Hedge trimmers. $400 to $500 for good ones. You must know how to use them so if you don't buy a bush or two to practice with. Or practice on your neighbors when he is at work haha.

Trailer $2,000 for a landscape trailer, a regular lowboy $1,100.

Your looking at say 30 weekly accounts of the 50. So $35x30=$1050

$1050 x 36 yearly mowing in my area = $37,800.

You do the math on the rest. The yards may all be better that $35 per cutting I just threw a number out there.

Yes there is money to be made.

Plus if you start how many friends do you know that would let you do their?

You do a good job you get more yards. Simple.

I urge you to try. This guy is handing you a silver platter.

wilcox_11
03-30-2013, 06:17 PM
thanks for the feedback. I have push mower, trimmers, blowers. All i have left to do is get a trailer and a z turn i already have the trailer picked out.

djm2013
03-30-2013, 07:05 PM
thanks for the feedback. I have push mower, trimmers, blowers. All i have left to do is get a trailer and a z turn i already have the trailer picked out.

Have you seen the lawns on the 50 accts, do you need a z turn.?

if you have equipment you should know how much a month you have to shell out for costs and labor, 50 accts will make you 35k in profit if your efficient, do you use quickbooks, can you do 25 mows a day and knock these out in teo days, you should use a gps with route optimization, or iphone with an app that routes the addresses for you. that alone can save hundreds in fuel a month.

let us know what you do...

Steve
04-01-2013, 11:38 AM
My question is how do you guys figure out what you need to make a year to be full time. I need to net 35,000 a year to be where i'm at now. But obviousally i will be paying for fuel, equipment, parts, vehicle maintnance, taxes. so how do i figure what i need to gross.

What is the status with your lawn care business now? Are you keeping track of how much it is costing you to service each customer you have? Do you have income from your business now? Expenses? Can you project those number to where you want to be?

For instance: If you have 20 customers now and it costs you $100 in expenses each week, you could create a ratio. If you knew what you needed to make. In this example $1000 per week.

20/$100 = X customers / $1000
or
((20 customer)/$100)X$1000 = X

x = 200 customers.

Now that is just an example and won't work perfectly because certain costs won't scale up as you get more customers, such as your insurance would be the same. You may still be paying the same in other overhead costs. But your operational costs will differ.

At the very least, it's a start.

Does this help?