PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Guys

greenscaper123
03-27-2013, 03:20 PM
How many accounts have you picked up so far this spring? So far I've passed out 15,000 fliers and have received 17 calls. Only landed one lawn customer and three cleanups so far. I'm in NJ and I'm assuming with this late spring we seem to be having the grass won't start growing for another 2-4 more weeks but come on, ONE CUSTOMER?!?!

willshome
03-27-2013, 04:38 PM
I'm in NJ

I thought you said NORTH EAST?
Don't feel bad very slow here but thats good because I got my z-turn stuck yesterday in my back lawn

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Yeah so far had a few lawn quotes, a few clean up calls, one walkway and french drain, one mysterious hole. Out of all of them I only got a clean up and 1 new mowing account. I have to remove a small pond liner. Gonna keep that and reuse it.

Its still cold though. Its barely hitting 50's yet. It seems strange cause this time last year we already had a few weeks of work in. We started mowing april 1st last year. Looks to be the end of april this year.

willshome
03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
It seems strange cause this time last year we already had a few weeks of work in. We started mowing april 1st last year. Looks to be the end of april this year.

All the late snow cost me a ton of lost mow $$$

greenscaper123
03-27-2013, 09:55 PM
All the late snow cost me a ton of lost mow $$$

seems like everyones hurting from it..

Steve
03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
So far I've passed out 15,000 fliers and have received 17 calls.

What is your plan with your marketing now? Will you hit those homes again or what?

greenscaper123
03-28-2013, 04:06 PM
What is your plan with your marketing now? Will you hit those homes again or what?

yea i did a direct mailing for 10,000 in late february. that was a huge mistake, way too early. majority of the calls i got were from that 10,000 but nobody wants to commit too early i guess. so i'm gonna hit that entire area again with another 10,000, starting monday. i figure it will only raise my brand awareness that much more, so no big loss.

warbuff
03-28-2013, 08:46 PM
but come on, ONE CUSTOMER?!?!

Did you follow up with the 16 potential clients that didn't go with you? I'd start with them and see if you can Identify if there is a common reason you didn't get them. If its something you can work on, maybe you'll get 4 or 5 of them on board.

On 15k fliers realistically how many are you hoping to land as clients?

So if say 1% (150) would contact you and 10% of that 15 would hire you is that an acceptable rate of return?

I remember reading somewhere that for a person to pick up the phone and call after seeing a direct mailer they on average had to see it 6 times. Based on 15k flyers your talking 90k sent out. That a bit on the scary side for me if my assumption of a 1% is accurate...

Steve
03-29-2013, 11:59 AM
yea i did a direct mailing for 10,000 in late february.

Was that part of the 15,000 flyers you handed out or were those separate marketing methods?

greenscaper123
03-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Was that part of the 15,000 flyers you handed out or were those separate marketing methods?

Yea I did 10,000 direct mailing in late feb and just completed 5,000 door to door all throughout march. Now I have two guys going door to door with 10,000 more cause I don't have the time to do it. My plan is to hit all the other direct mailings I did a second time in April. I would do direct mailing again if it wasn't so damn expensive.

greenscaper123
03-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Did you follow up with the 16 potential clients that didn't go with you? I'd start with them and see if you can Identify if there is a common reason you didn't get them. If its something you can work on, maybe you'll get 4 or 5 of them on board.

On 15k fliers realistically how many are you hoping to land as clients?

So if say 1% (150) would contact you and 10% of that 15 would hire you is that an acceptable rate of return?

I remember reading somewhere that for a person to pick up the phone and call after seeing a direct mailer they on average had to see it 6 times. Based on 15k flyers your talking 90k sent out. That a bit on the scary side for me if my assumption of a 1% is accurate...

For the entire 25,000 I'm hoping to pick up 30-40 lawn maint customers. I haven't followed up on those calls yet but plan on it this week now that the weather is starting to reach the 50s.

They all called late feb - early march. The grass won't even start growing for 2-3 more weeks. That's why I don't think I landed any of them yet.. Just too early. Every single one of them ended our meeting by saying "ok well we're just getting estimates right now so we'll let you know"

kslawn
03-29-2013, 06:23 PM
For the entire 25,000 I'm hoping to pick up 30-40 lawn maint customers. I haven't followed up on those calls yet but plan on it this week now that the weather is starting to reach the 50s.

They all called late feb - early march. The grass won't even start growing for 2-3 more weeks. That's why I don't think I landed any of them yet.. Just too early. Every single one of them ended our meeting by saying "ok well we're just getting estimates right now so we'll let you know"

hey guys, you ever thing of offering discounts for customers paying ahead for the season?? I started something a few years back...I offer a discount 5% for customers to pay ahead for the season weather it be summer or winter.. this has been working out very well expecially for start up costs in the spring!!Or fall for winter..I have about 8 to 10 who have done it last year & about the same this year for summer lawn care & about 5 or 6 for winter...also have a discount for ones who choose to pay a monthly payment (apr-oct) summer & (nov-mar) in winter...I should let you know that I'm in the U.P. of mich..so shorter season in summer & longer in winter....

kslawn
03-29-2013, 06:55 PM
I forgot to mention that they must pay by march 31st for lawn care & by october 31st for winter plowing in order to get the discount...

greenscaper123
03-30-2013, 07:46 AM
I forgot to mention that they must pay by march 31st for lawn care & by october 31st for winter plowing in order to get the discount...

yea i started offering 3% discount for monthly pre-pay and 5% for full season pre-pay. i had 3 of my customers do the full season and one customer do the pre monthly so far. just the 3 customers who signed up for the full season alone equaled $7600. that was a nice chunk of change to start off the season. allowed me to buy some other stuff that I woudnt have been able to.

only thing to remember though, is that you can't spend too much at once. only spend what you know you'll profit from that customer paying up front. for example, if a customer gives me $2000 up front for the season and i know i would personally profit $1000 of that by the end of the season, then that's all I'm allowed to spend. you need to make sure you leave enough for overhead, payroll, gas etc. as if you were going to receive that money monthly. some guys receive it all at once and then just go spend it all right away...

kslawn
03-30-2013, 02:14 PM
yep, I allways put some away & only spend what I have to from the pay aheads & the monthy's pay all the bills I have for the month including the overhead etc; thats deffinetly some good advice for people who are thinking of going that way for sure, you cant cut yourself short...the majority of my customers I bill out at the end of the month & is for the most part all profit..with the occasional major breakdown,so the money you save from the pay ahead customers helps out with that for sure..

Steve
04-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Now I have two guys going door to door with 10,000 more cause I don't have the time to do it.

How do you keep track that they are actually doing this?

greenscaper123
04-02-2013, 05:10 PM
How do you keep track that they are actually doing this?

well i just hired another kid and he seems to be doing fine. but for the last month I've been supervising the one kid i've had helping me while he passes them out. he works in 4 hour shifts and every two hours I drive around a few streets and make sure he is doing them. i make sure he is passing them out in areas I'm already working, so half way through after finishing a job, I would just roll up and down about 4-6 streets and just make sure. same thing when he is about to be done. i drive up and down the section i know he is finishing up in before i pick him up.

also, i only give him half at first so he knows I'll be meeting with him in a couple hours to give more hangers. it gives the sense that I could roll around the corner at any moment. also, i've been dropping him off, so he doesn't have a car to go chill out in. he has done door to door soliciting before and is passing out roughly 100 per hour. from past experience with other kids i've used, this is good. i've also told him I would give him commission on any work received so I know this has enticed him to move quicker. i also started him off with $8 an hour and told him I would bump him up to $10 if he did good. he has done good and I rewarded him with it. i try to make my employees earn the right to earn more money. i feel it definitely makes them want to push for it. if they do good, i take care of them. he recognizes that by this point and now I feel like I can trust him now. however, i still check up on hm though just to make sure he don't slack off.. no problems so far

rubylawn
04-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Here in mn we still have snow on the ground. And big snow piles.

BLC7
04-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Yea I did 10,000 direct mailing in late feb and just completed 5,000 door to door all throughout march. Now I have two guys going door to door with 10,000 more cause I don't have the time to do it. My plan is to hit all the other direct mailings I did a second time in April. I would do direct mailing again if it wasn't so damn expensive.

Have you checked into EDDM? It's super cheap for direct mail:

https://eddm.usps.com/eddm/customer/routeSearch.action

kslawn
04-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Here in mn we still have snow on the ground. And big snow piles.

got about 1 1/2 ft on the level here in U.P. of Mich. too! I plowed yesterday we got 4in but on a good note its going to warm up good this week & the next there saying...gettin tired of snow!!!!!