PDA

View Full Version : Should I bring in American Made

wandfsmall
03-27-2013, 09:28 AM
I have hopefully helped a few people on here and I was wondering if I could get a little advice.

We have been looking at outdoor smokers. The popular one to sell in our area is the Treager grill that is now imported from China. The one we are looking at seems to be a slight bit higher quality unit made in the us called SmokinBrothers. My question is this do you think people would pay a little for a US made product, as I am not sure most people would see the quality issues.

willshome
03-27-2013, 09:47 AM
what % higher cost?
Could you sell both but push the usa one. Show the differents side by side

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Being in your business I think you wouldnt have a problem selling the USA product. These guys know about chinese steel, quads, etc. If you were a walmart I would say get the cheap ****.

wandfsmall
03-27-2013, 11:50 AM
The traeger grill is $699 with another $120 for the digital thermostat for a total of $819 for 418sq in of cooking space.

The SmokinBrothers is $899 for 527sq in of cooking space. The reviews of the old Traegers(that were built in the US) are great but the newer ones are a lot thinner and I like to carry quality products.

As for carrying both, I am just getting into the market and do not want to invest the amount of money to bring in 2 grill lines when my specialty is outdoor power equipment. We are just starting to look into a greenhouse and maybe some patio type stuff.

Steve
03-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Maybe show a picture of the two types along with the different prices and ask which would the reader rather buy?

ratchetmaster2
03-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Does the SmokinBrothers one come with a digital thermostat included in the $899 price?

I find it kind of interesting that a company can mine metal, ship it to China, pay to have it manufactured, ship it all the way back to the US, and still be that much cheaper.

People will pay a little extra for American made products. Especially the type of person who is willing to drop $700-900 on a meat cooking device. But they aren't going to sell themselves.
I think the name is really silly. SmokinBrothers. Treager is a much better name. Even if it has no meaning, and a weird spelling.

wandfsmall
03-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Yes rachetmaster all of the Smokin Brothers have the digital thermostats. I think we are going to bring them in after going to look at a smoker a customer had just bought. The ones we are bringing in are a lot higher better built and we want to support companies that make things in america. Besides I think I will see more money in the pellets as we can sell them with a good markup and still give customers a great deal.