PDA

View Full Version : Dot Numbers?!?!?!

tintdude
03-26-2013, 08:24 AM
I searched and couldnt find exactly what i was looking for, but that doesnt mean that i didnt just miss it. I dont have just a huge operation, i have about 14-16 yards regularly with a few others occasionally. I do small cleanup jobs and this and that with some landscaping.Keep in mind this is all a side job(not enough confidence to go as a full blown career in this area. I have a 3/4 ton cummins with a 16ft trailer with 2 mowers and have recently added a leaf vac and other misc stuff. WIth the way my actual job is this year i will just be able to mow and such in the late evenings and occasional weekends(which is fine and will have no problem getting them done) my concern now though is that i have to be extrememly organized for time sake. I have the opportunity to get a gooseneck trailer. My thinking is here ultimite storage and organization under the tongue and on the front(its a 20ft) so all my equipment is just ready to go with nothing in back of truck(scratched crap out of truck yesterday). Hook up and go! I also have a cherokee that i like to trail and its an ideal trailer for that as the jeep barely fits on my 16 ft. My question is i know this gooseneck is a higher profile trailer so i want to know if i need DOT( im thinking i did in the first place anyway) and What all else do i need to be Legal in state of KY. Thanks for all advice and help guys. Sorry if i missed this info in another thread

Steve
03-26-2013, 01:27 PM
That is a very interesting question. The need for a D.O.T. number may vary based on your state.

For instance in N.Y.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/osss/truck/registration-licensing

If you operate a truck for business purposes with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or a truck and trailer with a gross combination vehicle weight rating (GCWR) of 10,001 lbs. or more, you need a USDOT number.

Note: Trucks used strictly for personal (non-business) or recreational use do not require a USDOT Number!

Here is a frequently asked questions section for the U.S. department of transportation. Check that out too.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/other/faq/faqs.aspx

Let me know if that helps.