PDA

View Full Version : What other services do you offer?

LawnBoy0311
03-25-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm starting to get my plans together for my new venture. Wifey and I are packing up and moving. I plan to go full time, since cost of living is MUCH cheaper. I know the area pretty well and know lawn services are needed. Lawn care and landscaping can only go so far though. There is not a lot of profits in just mowing, but the side jobs are never consistent. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket, I want to branch out and offer other services.

What do you guys do? What other services do you offer? I know SECT does a bunch, but do some of you have a crew that mow's and a crew that does powerwashing? I want to get some idea's so I can figure out what I want to do and how to advertise. I'm looking for input for consistent jobs...not ones where "once a year I haul my neighbors trash to the dump".

Thanks a bunch for the help!!

Cashin H&P
03-25-2013, 02:55 PM
I was once told "find some thing your good at and do alot of it" I have stuck to this advice and I plan to only off 3 services general lawn care (spring clean ups mowing, fall clean ups) Hardscapes, and tree work.

LawnBoy0311
03-25-2013, 03:08 PM
I was once told "find some thing your good at and do alot of it" I have stuck to this advice and I plan to only off 3 services general lawn care (spring clean ups mowing, fall clean ups) Hardscapes, and tree work.

For tree work, you cut and haul away?

Cashin H&P
03-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Yep I will drop trees, chip the brush, take any pine to the dump and any hardwood I cut and split and then sell that.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-25-2013, 04:18 PM
lawn care (mowing,clean ups,mulch,shrubs,plantings,)
Pressure washing
Gutter Cleaning and Installation
Roof Cleaning
Sealcoating
Chimney sweeping
Snow Removal
Junk Removal
Skid Steer Service
Custom Fences
Decks, Patios, Walkways, Gravel Driveways, Retaining walls
Some tree work
For the right price ill beat up your neighbor. I would actually sub this out to teenagers. They dont go to jail.

doug1980
03-25-2013, 04:51 PM

I second that. Branching out too much can hurt you sometimes. Additional services that go together or are somewhat linked is ok, but some things just don't go together. One service I offered in Alaska was pet waste removal. Very lucrative in the spring but smelly.

LawnBoy0311
03-25-2013, 04:59 PM
I second that. Branching out too much can hurt you sometimes. Additional services that go together or are somewhat linked is ok, but some things just don't go together. One service I offered in Alaska was pet waste removal. Very lucrative in the spring but smelly.

I agree with you, there are some things that are out of the question. No home improvements or anthing else I have to pull a permit for. Fences would be a no go.

I was thinking power washing or something to spruce up the house.

Any others have input???

doug1980
03-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Gutter cleaning, annual planting, mulching, landscape debris removal are a few I can think of.

Hedgemaster
03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
http://cf2.imgobject.com/t/p/original/qh90HPo9YGV0gU4jK4HO4UQwLBY.jpg

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
03-25-2013, 05:28 PM
We added window washing for this year...Seems like it's getting some attention already...

LawnBoy0311
03-25-2013, 05:46 PM
We added window washing for this year...Seems like it's getting some attention already...

I was just reading about that today. Is it just the outside windows? Are you making your own chemicals or using store bought brands? Whats the average going rate?

Hedge, you just realized that service???? The rest of us have been doing it for years!

wat5150
03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Maybe offer in home Brazilian waxes?:cool:

SNethercutt
03-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Well the name of my business is No More Chores and we take that to the extreme, somewhat. About the only things I don't do are sprinklers trees and gutters, those aren't chores.

But basically anything your wife ask you to do on your day off we got it covered.

I don't advertise window cleaning because I don't do it. But if I'm gonna have two people on a job site pressure washing for an annual estate care contract, the other one washes the windows. Why not? Makes the customer feel like they get more.

Something you probably can do but don't want to. I hate laying flagstone because I do it myself. I'm 22 but I still feel it for days. I advertise it but I only accept the jobs I want. Big jobs. Hire a couple guys knock it out get a check, warranty it for 12 months and go on about my business. Only if I have time.

03-26-2013, 07:13 AM
I was just reading about that today. Is it just the outside windows? Are you making your own chemicals or using store bought brands? Whats the average going rate?

Hedge, you just realized that service???? The rest of us have been doing it for years!

I'm talking the outside of the windows, we use the normal store bought products for now, There may be other options out there but this is new for us and still learning...

Price depends on the size, from what I see others charging, it ranges from $10 to $25 per window...

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-26-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm talking the outside of the windows, we use the normal store bought products for now, There may be other options out there but this is new for us and still learning...

Price depends on the size, from what I see others charging, it ranges from $10 to $25 per window...

One of my friends uncles does only window washing. He made a living doing it. Its something I thought of but wasnt sure what the market was.

With pressure washing we always wash the exterior windows. Partly because the residue from the cleaning chemicals would be left.

LawnBoy0311
03-26-2013, 09:19 AM
One of my friends uncles does only window washing. He made a living doing it. Its something I thought of but wasnt sure what the market was.

With pressure washing we always wash the exterior windows. Partly because the residue from the cleaning chemicals would be left.

I've heard of others doing line items for each service they do. Could you do it for pressure washing a house and window cleaning?

Say a customer pays $200 for a pressure cleaning, and you explain the windows will get wet but not cleaned. You offer window cleaning at $10 a window. Would that be something they would go for?

This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

03-26-2013, 09:44 AM
That's a good add on to the power washing because you should never hit a window with pressure from a washer, your asking for big problems if you do...I would watch stating the $10 amount until you actually see the size of the windows though....

LawnBoy0311
03-26-2013, 10:46 AM
That's a good add on to the power washing because you should never hit a window with pressure from a washer, your asking for big problems if you do...I would watch stating the $10 amount until you actually see the size of the windows though....

Oh I've got a ways to go before price points! I want to research as much as I can. Theres a guy who lives near me who runs a company. He offered to take me out for a day to show me some things, of course i said yes!

Thanks a bunch for all the help! I think i came up with the extra services i want to do!

Steve
03-26-2013, 01:04 PM
What are your thoughts of these different services? Are you wanting to offer more or are you doing it to get as much business as you can when you move. Will you then scale it back to the services you offer now or do you want to expand and offer more services in general?

LawnBoy0311
03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
What are your thoughts of these different services? Are you wanting to offer more or are you doing it to get as much business as you can when you move. Will you then scale it back to the services you offer now or do you want to expand and offer more services in general?

I think catering to homeowners is a great business. There are always people out there who would rather pay, or just don't have time. I think offering too many services makes it harder to advertise....but if a customer asks, and you know you can do it, then say yes!!

The reason to expand into another field is so all my eggs are not in one basket. I feel mowing and landscaping can be a nice profit, but theres other services that may be higher profits. There is a lot of expenses that come into mowing, and equipment costs are high. Spending $10K on a mower to mow a $40 lawn....you get the idea. The thing I like the most about mowing is it's consistent. But what if there are other business' out there to tie into lawncare?

Once the move is complete (its a GIANT pita!!) I plan to look at landscaping and low pressure washing. I'd add another trailer and truck with all the equipment needed. We'd offer roof cleaning, gutter cleaning, window cleaning, house washing, and power washing.

Profit margins are higher when offering those, and mixing with the consistent mowing schedules I think could be a great business. The thing I like the most is there is an investment to go to these things, therefore eliminating a lot of "would be" lowballers.

I don't want to scale back any of my services, but the goal is to expand to offer more.

03-26-2013, 01:48 PM
I think you will do just fine.......

When is the big move ?

LawnBoy0311
03-26-2013, 02:40 PM
I think you will do just fine.......

When is the big move ?

Thanks! it'll take some @$$ bustin, but I should do fine...I hope!!

The big move is hopefully next year sometime. We bought the land last year and are talking to builders. We ran the idea of possibly moving and renting in the fall, so we can watch the house being built and already be established once the mortgage hits. It just seems like the list of things that need to be done are never ending!!

Steve
03-27-2013, 11:21 AM
The thing I like the most is there is an investment to go to these things, therefore eliminating a lot of "would be" lowballers.

You mean like you would have to purchase a power washer and start up lowballers may not have that so therefor you can perform a service they can't?

LawnBoy0311
03-27-2013, 11:29 AM
You mean like you would have to purchase a power washer and start up lowballers may not have that so therefor you can perform a service they can't?

I should rephrase that. Not power washing or pressure washing, its soft washing. Instead of blasting the dirt off, the chemicals would do the washing. Its much safer and less room for damages. Soft washing rigs are costly, and you need a truck to tow it. Unlike lawns, where a 10yr old can use his dads mower. Or like packing a push mower in the trunk of a sedan.

Grass Doctor
03-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Maybe offer in home Brazilian waxes?:cool:

ahhhh i need one whats the hourly rate.

Steve
03-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Soft washing rigs are costly, and you need a truck to tow it.

I bet most people are unaware of this so in your marketing, I bet if you include some educational information on the benefits of this cleaning method, you will really differentiate yourself from others and get a lot more business.