PDA

View Full Version : Where is Spring !

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
03-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Oh I am sooooooooooooo sick of this weather....:mad:

I thought maybe..Just maybe I could start to mow some accounts next week and now they are calling for 4-6 inches of snow tonight :mad::mad:

I was mowing last year by this time......

Sprinkler Buddy
03-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Wont be long before we are complaining of the heat and drought conditions. lol

stevef1201
03-24-2013, 05:34 PM
If I remember my history correctly in 1849 it was so cool that it snowed in Washingting DC on July 4. Winter may not go away this year

Sprinkler Buddy
03-24-2013, 06:06 PM
If it keeps up, we'll have a few more moving to our State of FL.

warbuff
03-24-2013, 06:38 PM
I think its spring in Texas...

Hedgemaster
03-24-2013, 08:01 PM
3/24/13 9:15pm

It has begun to snow in Pittsburgh. Grass is starting to get covered.
Forecast updated to 4-8" thru 11am Monday.

:rolleyes:

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-24-2013, 08:37 PM
3/24/13 9:15pm

It has begun to snow in Pittsburgh. Grass is starting to get covered.
Forecast updated to 4-8" thru 11am Monday.

:rolleyes:
I took the last plow off today. Still have one sander to remove. I put on the leaf loader on another truck. Went to the store bought oil for the mowers and paint for the plows. Now tomorrows rain is supposed to be snow.

JeffK26
03-24-2013, 09:44 PM
We just got hit all day with snow and it's still coming down. It ranges from 5 inches to 11 inches in the area.

Some places had thunder snow. I'll tell ya what, it's pretty cool to get thunder and lightening during a snow storm, but it dumps the snow when it happens.

Been out since 10 this morning, gonna catch a nap then head out again. It's still coming down.

However, i'm done with this snow crap, I'm ready for spring. Not just calendar spring, but temperatures and green grass.

ratchetmaster2
03-25-2013, 01:03 AM
However, i'm done with this snow crap, I'm ready for spring. Not just calendar spring, but temperatures and green grass.

AMEN to that.

I live in the Washington D.C. area, and this weather is killing me.

Kinda hard to convince someone to hire me to mow their grass when there is still snow on the ground...

LawnBoy0311
03-25-2013, 05:51 AM
AMEN to that.

I live in the Washington D.C. area, and this weather is killing me.

Kinda hard to convince someone to hire me to mow their grass when there is still snow on the ground...

Ratchet, where at in the DC area? I planned to do some mulch jobs today...I guess thats out of the picture. But here is what I don't understand....they are predicting 1" to 2" for me. Snow started early this morning, we already have an inch, and it isn't stopping till noon. Looks like another botched prediction.

ratchetmaster2
03-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Ratchet, where at in the DC area?

Silver Spring, how about you?

Hedgemaster
03-25-2013, 09:46 AM
We have about 6" of really heavy/wet snow and it's still coming down - really fine/wet stuff.

Not one call yet. I guess they are waiting until it stops.

LawnBoy0311
03-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Silver Spring, how about you?

I'm out near Bowie/Crofton.

What territory do you cover? Send me over your contact info, I get a few calls out there every now and again, I will throw them your way. Silver Spring is too far for me.

JeffK26
03-25-2013, 11:27 AM
We have about 6" of really heavy/wet snow and it's still coming down - really fine/wet stuff.

Not one call yet. I guess they are waiting until it stops.

This is why I only do my client's driveways and sidewalks. It's clear up front that if the prediction for accumulation is less than 4 inches I'll be out after the snow. When the prediction is 4 inches or more I'll be out at 3 inches and every 3 inches after.

I don't turn down calls from non lawn clients, but I have enough of my lawn clients wanting snow removal that I don't have to worry about some random person pitching a fit because I won't clear his driveway for 20 bucks.

I finished up my final trip a few hours ago, took the dog to the park and took a nap. Now I'm getting calls from the people that waited, and they're balking at the price. A few said yes and I'm getting ready to head out to get theirs done.

03-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Well the sun is trying to peak through and I believe it"s coming to and end :):)

Get ready boys....50's by the weekend !! Here comes Spring !! :):)

That was my dose of positive thinking for everyone here on the east coast :cool:

Hedgemaster
03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
We had about 6" of heavy, wet snow this am and it continued snowing part way through the day, but it didn't get "deeper" because it was so wet - it just started to compact.

Then the rain/snow mix crap started. At least I made a few bucks. Only did four properties, but considering I only cleared 4 driveways all last winter, I can't complain.

I'm just mad because I had cleaned the snowblower off for storage a week or so ago and now it's covered with road salt again just for a couple of jobs.

03-25-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm right there with you....

I already had the blowers put away for the summer...lol...

This weather is crazy !!

kslawn
04-01-2013, 05:51 AM
We still have about 1 1/2 feet on the level here & got up this morning to a dusting on the groung & there calling for 1 to 3 inches through tonight.I havent put my plow on yet though going to see what happends first..It was going away fast up to yesterday, we had about 3 feet on the level two weeks ago! michigan weather you gotta love it!!!!I wont be doing clean ups til end of april if this keeps up...

Hedgemaster
04-06-2013, 09:31 PM
We're starting to see temps closer to normal.

Supposed to get some rain this week, so I think we'll start seeing some color and maybe a few lawns to cut by the end of next week.

wat5150
04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
We're starting to see temps closer to normal.

Supposed to get some rain this week, so I think we'll start seeing some color and maybe a few lawns to cut by the end of next week.

Lawns to cut already? Thats not bad. Up here im about 2 weeks out on any real mowing.

SECTLANDSCAPING
04-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Lawns to cut already? Thats not bad. Up here im about 2 weeks out on any real mowing.

Looks to be the same for me. Last year I was already mowing. Thats New England for you.

Tomorrow spose to be 58 then it goes back to the 50s for the rest of the week.

I managed to get almost everything ready today. New oil, fuel filters, batteries installed, fresh gas. I drove around the yard for about 15 mins looking like a idiot.

SNethercutt
04-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Damn fellas, I hope your weather gets better. I've been mowing since... well we never stop. It slows in the winter, every week yards become every other week and every other weeks become every 3 weeks. I do have a couple accounts that only get done every three weeks but I do them every three weeks all year around. No money to go to four.

But I start every week mowings this week. I have had plenty of mulch jobs already, even some landscape jobs. Our spring is getting hot.

Hope our warm weather heads your way.

Grass Doctor
04-07-2013, 09:15 PM
in TX BABE.

GreenBlue
04-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Doug, have you started mowing yet?

04-09-2013, 06:45 AM
I should be mowing by Monday....The temps are finally here and the grass is kicking it.....

Yesterday was 76 degrees and the extended forcast looks pretty good, slight drop off over the weekend but it looks like it will stay in the 60's....

LawnBoy0311
04-09-2013, 06:52 AM
I should be mowing by Monday....The temps are finally here and the grass is kicking it.....

Yesterday was 76 degrees and the extended forcast looks pretty good, slight drop off over the weekend but it looks like it will stay in the 60's....

I start mowing tomorrow!!!!!! It's about damn time!!!!

04-09-2013, 07:02 AM
I hear ya....

Last year I was already about three weeks into it.......

I think I'm going to break the new Lazer Z in today on my own lawn...:D

ratchetmaster2
04-09-2013, 08:27 AM
I start mowing tomorrow!!!!!! It's about damn time!!!!

hell yeah man. It's like 80 today!

GreenBlue
04-10-2013, 09:31 AM
That's good to hear, glad grass is growing now so everyone can start mowing. Most residential properties aren't being mowed yet, but when I'm out doing errands I can see other lawn services already mowing commercial properties even though the grass doesn't look like its quite ready, we've been getting some good rain showers where I live, so grass will be growing soon, its already greened up.

BelleCityLawn1
04-10-2013, 10:12 AM
It is bad here in Wisconsin. I won't be mowing for 2+ weeks. We just got all the snow gone and this week we have had about 3 inches of rain so far. Atleast the calls are starting to come in but few will sign up because they "got time to think about it". I did get a call from SC Johnson's neighbor! Who has 200+acres.

Thanks!

kslawn
04-11-2013, 07:21 PM
The weather said 3 to 6 inches by tomarrow afternoon here... good money fast, but damn!!! Not puttin plow on til I get up & acually see it! Cant wait to get started on other things...

GreenBlue
04-11-2013, 07:38 PM
I think the lawn services here are crazy, I don't see any grass that needs to be cut, but they are all out driving around with their trailer and their mowers and mowing something....I don't understand it, grass is green yes, but its not growing, so are they just money hungry or wtf? I don't get it, I can understand wanting to make money, but dang.

kslawn
04-12-2013, 05:18 AM
:confused:Well I had to say it! They were calling for 3 to 6 inches through Friday & I woke up to 8 inches on the ground with more coming! Nice payday but makes for a late summer.....I guess thats why they call it the great white north!

GreenBlue
04-12-2013, 08:34 AM
:confused:Well I had to say it! They were calling for 3 to 6 inches through Friday & I woke up to 8 inches on the ground with more coming! Nice payday but makes for a late summer.....I guess thats why they call it the great white north!

Well at least you are making money. :)

djm2013
04-12-2013, 11:20 AM
I looked outside and theres ice pellets on the mulch beds, yesterday I put pre emergent on turf at 5 sites and today its raining and sleeting. got to love this Upstate NY weather.

Called a few clients and got prices on trees for a large install estimate.

Updating quickbooks and looking at my new credit card app for my phone to accept cc's and its pouring outside..

wha wha whaaaaaa

rubylawn
04-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Not good in mn. We still got snow on the ground and more snow coming I just heard. I just wish it would warm up a little.

bruces
04-15-2013, 09:52 PM
I still have a few feet of snow in my backyard ,but it is raining tonight so it should be going soon .Today was our first day of T shirt weather ,my thermometer is showing 45*

rubylawn
04-16-2013, 05:50 AM
We got 1-2in of snow for Thursday coming. We might see 50 by monday.