PDA

View Full Version : ham-burglars

SNethercutt
03-19-2013, 11:38 PM
So, I'm thinking about going forward with implementing a uniform policy for me and the "wife".... don't tell her I said that. But in my area its a big deal, people get company logos put on their truck, (power company, water company, gas company, landscape company) and they fit in because who is suspicious of those company's? Well they are breaking into homes. And I don't want someone to say well there was a landscape company here earlier...

Wait that's me I'm the landscape company but I wasn't there.

If we have uniforms I can tell customers this is what we wear. If someone is on your property and they don't have one of our shirts and kahkis (pants or shorts) they are not with us.

Good idea or no?

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Its always a good to do uniforms. I even have contracts that state all employees must have uniforms. I never though of why but now that you mention it, I think it might have to do with theft.

The mistake I made is I bought like four different color shirts. We always end up wearing different colors. I'm going to have to color code certain days or something.

This happen because white is cheap but impossible to keep clean. Then I went with black but on a hot day it kills you. So I went with blue but that blue looked purple. So I got another blue. Two large companies wear red so thats out of the question. I might even switch to a dark green.

I thought of painting all my trucks the same color also for branding purposes. Its just to costly to do it.

CHEESE2009
03-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Uniforms are great, but you can't compare us to other type of companies... We work harder. ;)

I called my mail guy a panzy every time I saw him, before he quit.

wat5150
03-20-2013, 09:44 AM
I was thinking of getting my company logo embroidered on some nice designer speedos and wearing them and just a pair of boots, nothing else. What do you think??:)

SNethercutt
03-20-2013, 10:35 AM
You gonna put the potato in the front or the back of the speedo

Hedgemaster
03-20-2013, 11:52 AM
For the stated purpose I think a clearly marked vehicle goes further than a "uniform".

When people look out the window, they can't read your shirt. They can see the truck though, and when they see "it's the landscaper", they can go back to what they were doing.

That said, are there really bands of burglars roaming about with trucks filled with mowers? I mean, if I see a guy pushing a mower on my neighbor's lawn, my first thought is not to go check for ID, or call the police.

If someone wants to come IN my house, they had damned well better have identification, but otherwise I'm not seeing the need for a uniform in this regard.
If you want to appear professional, sure, but not as a "safety measure".

One day before my truck was lettered I went to do an estimate. After walking the lawn, I hopped back in my truck and started jotting down notes. I then started going over some paperwork while I was parked. I looked to my left and noticed a guy directly across the street standing in front of his open garage, arms folded across his chest, and giving me a stare-down.
I continued with my paperwork and looked up to see him STILL staring me down, so I rolled the window down. "Hi, Susan called for an estimate to have the lawn cut", I said.
This eased his mind since I used the homeowner's name and he walked over to chat. "Sorry, but we keep an eye on each other around here, and I didn't know what you were doing over there", he said. "I've got little kids, so I keep my eyes open."

I could see his point.

Steve
03-20-2013, 01:31 PM
So, I'm thinking about going forward with implementing a uniform policy

What about having a uniform might also get you more jobs because of your projected professional look? That should be a big reason to do it as well.