PDA

View Full Version : Religion & Landscaping

warbuff
03-19-2013, 08:51 AM
I'm not a religious minded person, however my wife goes to church 3 to 4 times a month. On several occasions she has told me about other landscapers who have been at mass. Then says to me, it wouldn't hurt you to go to mass and you might even meet some new customers in the process.

Since I go maybe once or twice a year (Christmas & sometimes Easter) I feel kinda of a moral dilemma because if I were to go it would be for business reasons and not to worship.

Am I wrong to think it would be an abuse to go simply as another way to get my name out there? I know my wife is trying to get me to go with that reasoning, I suppose I could also pray for new business. I prefer to think that the effort you put into gaining new business is what builds more business for you...

Just looking to see what others think on this, I'm involved in boy scouts and with sponsor ships for lacrosse & a soccer team which help promote my business. So its not like I am not involved in the community. It there a line to be drawn here? I would assume its really up to personal preference...

LawnBoy0311
03-19-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm in the same boat. My wife pushes the issue with me quite a bit. She goes to church every sunday, I go at tops once a year unless its for weddings.

She always says I should advertise in the church newsletter. To me, if I went to church on a regular basis, I'd advertise. But I don't, so I won't advertise.

I'd stay clear of it and keep going the path your going. The last thing you need is someone hiring you because they think you go to church every week only to find out you never do. It could be looked at as a bad business practice.

Thats just my way of thinking.

dpld
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
same boat here and to top it off my kids go to the same churches school and i maintain the property as well as i was raised catholic and i never go and by never i mean never.

i actually refuse to go and the way i see it, many people go there for the same reasons as the OP was getting at.
not so much for business purposes but other reasons like for example, i know several people that go to the church who cheat on their wives and family and there are some that go there who beat their wives.
then there are people who are dirty back stabbing SOB's and then there are the thieves.
but they all go to church every week thinking that is going to right the wrongs they do or offset it and i can not go to any place on this planet and sit there in the presence of god with so many phonies in the crowd.
not everyone there is like that and i don't want to condemn them but in my view i believe you are only as good as how you live your life and treat others and the type of character you have as a person is not going to be determined or confirmed because you go to church.

actions speak louder then words and i choose to live it instead of going weekly to pretend i do like some and to top it off if you believe in a higher power then he is every where you go as well as in your heart and you don't need to go to a church to seek his forgiveness or reach out to him.

church is something created hundreds of years after christ and the only reason they want you to come there is so you can throw some cha ching in their basket and use your faith to hold you hostage.

wow, i feel better and that was my religious rant for the day.

Sprinkler Buddy
03-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Going to church is never a bad idea no matter your reasoning for going. God may touch you and give you a new outlook and purpose sitting in the pew.

Sprinkler Buddy
03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
God isn't in the deal making business, He is the deal!

I haven't always gone to church faithfully, my wife like many of yours kept bugging me as well. I still don't go every Sunday but I have been lately more often than not. I started going for my wife, now I go for me as well. Sometimes listening to the preacher hits very close to home. We are all children of God, when you call upon him in times of need, he'll be there if you give him your time in your daily life.

Politics and money do corrupt many churches, going to church doesn't save you or guarantee you'll go to heaven either. God knows your heart and anyone can share his name and his word in or outside of the church walls.

stevef1201
03-19-2013, 03:58 PM
As one preacher told me ' I dont care why people come, jus as long as they come. The more often the better chance that God will hit them in the heart, and change thier life."

warbuff
03-19-2013, 10:12 PM
wow, i feel better and that was my religious rant for the day.

I'm half & half sometimes I think I should go and other times I just make excuses not. in general its not my thing, my grandfather was deeply religious, but he hardly ever set foot in church. I'm no-where close to his beliefs but I think that I am reverent in my own way.

Then again I hardly ever miss a poker game so maybe the poker gods are on my side...

Fireman Gus
03-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Before my wife had her strokes in 2011 we went quite regularly but since that time it has been a lesser amount. Mostly she did not feel like getting up and therefore I would stay at home with her. Now she is in an assisted living facility and she goes to devotions there,and I have gone back to attending our regular church. I never felt too bad for not attending regularly.

B&B Lawn Services
03-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Going to church is never a bad idea no matter your reasoning for going. God may touch you and give you a new outlook and purpose sitting in the pew.

Investing time in learning more about our Creator is always a good thing.

Ducke
05-05-2013, 07:22 PM
going to church to promote your business is as common as ice cream cones on a hot Sunday afternoon. I would say 50% of the folks at church are there to promote and grow their business. Have a look and see how many Insurance salesmen there are at your church, Reality agents,Car salesmen, Contractors.
Watch them after service and see them work the crowd. Religion is big business and there is no shame in get something other then hour nap and a happy wife out of going.