PDA

View Full Version : Should i take on this tree job?

christw
03-17-2013, 02:23 PM
I got a job across town, the lady wants me to remove 9 small trees they are about 75 ft to 100 but arent too wide.Im not insured yet and I never cut a big tree down do you think its worth taking on? Should I sub it out? If so how do I go about subbing it?

dpld
03-17-2013, 02:30 PM
I got a job across town, the lady wants me to remove 9 small trees they are about 75 ft to 100 but arent too wide.Im not insured yet and I never cut a big tree down do you think its worth taking on? Should I sub it out? If so how do I go about subbing it?

let's see, you got no insurance and you never done it before.
the answer would be ABSOLUTELY NO.

also, if you have no insurance you might want to just recommend someone because if you sub it out and he screws up you will be just as liable as he is and actually more so because you are the contractor.

also 75' to 100' trees are not small trees regardless of how big the diameter of the trunks are.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-17-2013, 03:28 PM

classic!

100 ft trees small?

I doubt you could sub it besides legal reasons a tree company is going to charge big bucks for that.

SNethercutt
03-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Do not even think about it!

Find a tree company who will give you a finders fee. Let them bid the job.

You are at risk of everything. If you don't have insurance you don't have the money to pay to fix her house vehicle or structures on her property. When you don't pay, she will file on her insurance and the insurance company will have its lawyer on your a$$. They will attempt to take everything you have. And if you don't pay, the will put a lien on your house, vehicles, take money out of your bank account(depending on amount of settlement).

If you are willing to accept these risk, then go for it. But having never done it, I would recommend you not try. That's a lot of trees. Tree company's around here will pay $50 to $75 per tree.

SNethercutt
03-17-2013, 03:51 PM
And that's 50 to 75 dollars per tree for finders fee

patrick6411
03-17-2013, 06:16 PM
if you have to ask if you should do it then no!!

willshome
03-17-2013, 07:53 PM
9 trees times 100' that's 900 feet of wood your going to have to remove plus branches. Do you have a truck that big?

JeffK26
03-17-2013, 08:01 PM
You shouldn't be performing ANY job on ANY property without insurance, let alone cutting 100' trees down.

Cashin H&P
03-17-2013, 08:04 PM
No insurance=no work for you.

Classic, no insurance and wants to to tree work. This is whats worng with our industry.

Thanks Buddy!:cool:

tk4454
03-18-2013, 12:24 AM
get insured and do the job, look up how to do it. watch instructional videos, , bid accordingly, the one job will pay for your insurance for the year and more. i know last year was my first year doing alot of things, and i didnt make any profits on the job but the job paid for my chainsaw and my hedge trimmer so i thought it was a win

ratchetmaster2
03-18-2013, 01:11 AM
nah dude. You got this. be confident in yourself.
Just don't hit nothing.
When you notching the tree, and doing the backcut, just keep visualizing the fat paycheck.

wat5150
03-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Just don't hit nothing.
When you notching the tree, and doing the backcut, just keep visualizing the fat paycheck.

Sound advice.:rolleyes: Since when is a 75 to 100 ft tree small??

Steve
03-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Im not insured yet and I never cut a big tree down do you think its worth taking on?

What kind of thought process do you have going on about this job? In your mind, what are the pros and cons to doing it yourself?

J SAL
03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
First of all no insur. no can do. The one question not asked is how much room you have to drop these trees. What kind of tree are they? If you have a baseball field to drop these things in (so to speak) lay them down. 75-100 ft trees are old trees 100 years old or theyre pine trees. Cut them down only if you have experience in this and be SAFE.

dpld
03-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Just don't hit nothing.

i really hope you are just being sarcastic and don't mean what you say.

tk4454
03-19-2013, 11:00 AM
get insurance and do it, if you cant afford insurance dont do it

dpld
03-19-2013, 11:16 AM

there is more to it then having insurance and a chain saw.

you need to know what you are doing to not only avoid doing damage but to avoid killing yourself or someone else.

that is what is wrong with this industry and this country, too many people getting involved with things they have no business getting involved with in the first place.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-19-2013, 11:16 AM

even with insurance I wouldnt touch it without experience. Falling trees is a skill. You just dont wake up and become a expert.

Anyways this guy will never be back. He didnt like what he heard and ran away. Probable bid the $8000 job for like $400.

dpld
03-19-2013, 11:53 AM
even with insurance I wouldnt touch it without experience. Falling trees is a skill. You just dont wake up and become a expert.

Anyways this guy will never be back. He didnt like what he heard and ran away. Probable bid the $8000 job for like $400.

or he bid a 400.00 job for 8,000.00 looking to get rich making a phone call.

tk4454
03-20-2013, 07:57 PM
its not hard to learn how to take a tree down, obviously if its to large of a tree you call a professional. I took down a tree last year for the first time, got me a free chain saw and hedge trimmer out of the deal. just gotta make sure you know where its gonna fall so you dont take out power lines or hurt anyone including yourself, obviously do some research first.

Hedgemaster
03-20-2013, 08:28 PM
The first time I cut down something in the 35' tall range it fell exactly where I wanted it.

If I had wanted it to fall 20' from the intended drop spot. :D

TIM-BERRrruuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnn!!!

Moki
02-04-2014, 03:56 AM
AS everyone else has been saying absolutely no way that I would do those trees and I have the insurance to do it.

I have no desire to work on trees that tall = I would sub the falling to a fellow and I would do the clean up.

Steve
02-04-2014, 04:30 PM
I would sub the falling to a fellow and I would do the clean up.

Do you find it still worthwhile to do a job like that where you need to sub out the tree falling?

Once they get it down, do you or they chop it up to be prepped to move?

Moki
02-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Most definitely.

I/my team have always cut/chopped up and removed the waste even when all I had was a 4' x 8' trailer.

I am always thinking liability = either the customer pays the faller I use directly which means I am not responsible for his liability insurance or I pay him I prefer not being liable.

I make very good money on waste removal I now have a 7' x 14' with 4' high sides 14,000 lbs dump trailer it takes huge loads the best is I do not have to pay for green waste dumping I made a deal to do the tree/hedge work where I get rid of the waste and my largest complex covers these 3 - 4 days a year.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Cam_s_Yard_Works_Pics_015.JPG

Steve
02-05-2014, 03:28 PM
With all that great wood, do you cut it up at all for firewood to re-sell? Or is it just dumped?

Moki
02-06-2014, 12:26 AM
Tree in the picture is a Cottonwood tree they are a very soft wood = no good for fire wood.

I get rid of it all at the green waste dump this wood will be ground into aged/compost mulch.

Last year I topped dozens of cherry blossom trees cut the larger limbs into fire wood for myself the rest of it became mulch.

Where I am there are a lot of people cutting supplying fire wood they sell it for $5.00/bundle to campers heading off into the bush.

I do not have the time or space to store firewood so usually get rid of it all at the dump.

Steve
02-06-2014, 09:13 PM
What is the downside to using soft wood for burning? Does it just burn too fast?

Moki
02-07-2014, 04:03 AM
Its not just that it is a soft wood Cottonwood just doesn't burn very well at all I believe it is used in pulp for paper etc.

No one would buy it again from you if you sold it to them the first time.

They want Pine/Fir/Hemlock/Maple/Birch/Poplar etc etc.

Steve
02-07-2014, 02:41 PM
That is all very interesting to know!

Are there some woods that are the worst to try and burn besides Cottonwood?

Moki
02-08-2014, 02:59 AM
Not that I am aware of at least not around here.

stck2mlon
03-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Unless you meant 10' trees...wait, no insurance? Think about it...if (or when) something happens you lose everything. Call your local insurance company and get insured. 1 mil general liability will run you less than you think.

Steve
05-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Tree in the picture is a Cottonwood tree they are a very soft wood = no good for fire wood.

Can anything else be done with such wood? Can it be made into furniture or lumber?

stevef1201
05-22-2014, 03:25 PM
I got a call about 'trimming a few limbs'. when I got there I found 5 libs about 18 inches across at the trunk, reaching 40 to 60 feet out over sheds, a house, and a garage. all about 50 feet off the ground. I told the guy he needed a tree company! 'I called one they want 2000 for this'. I said yep that is because they have insurance on 5 guys, two truck, a chipper, as well as enough to pay for rebuilding the house shed and garage of they screw up.
Will not do any tree work more that 15 off the ground, or if the falling limbs would or could cause any damage to anything (except the ground).

Steve
05-27-2014, 12:05 PM
I can understand why you would want to pass on such jobs.

Some people like working up in trees and aren't as concerned with the dangers involved with it as others are. While others don't like heights at all. There is plenty of work out there for both.

That would have been interesting to see pics of that job!