PDA

View Full Version : Help new equipment choices

Greg'slawnandlandscape
03-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Hey I need advice I just got in a wreck after dropping off dirt today it totaled my trailer and destroyed by back door bumper and lights of the suburban the trailer went through my trunk and the other truck ended on top of the trailer. Here's the issue to get my truck fixed it will take three weeks should I buy another one the other issue is my trailer is damaged beyond repair if I get a truck I won't be able to afford another trailer what Should I do. Anyone ever have this problem how did you solve it and what do I tell the customers that I have booked for the next three weeks ( it was there fault and insurance will pay for it but I don't have time to wait for the check)

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-15-2013, 09:28 PM
How did you go from shopping for a truck and trailer to cant afford a truck and trailer?

Greg'slawnandlandscape
03-15-2013, 09:45 PM
I can only afford one or the other my plan for trading up is taking to long after looking my plans over and using advice I got I was going to use the suburban some more and get a bigger trailer then get a bigger truck but now I need both

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-15-2013, 09:50 PM
I can only afford one or the other my plan for trading up is taking to long after looking my plans over and using advice I got I was going to use the suburban some more and get a bigger trailer then get a bigger truck but now I need both

Have your dad finance the trailer it will only be like $100 a month.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
03-15-2013, 09:54 PM
I will ask him to help me tommarrow I didn't think about financing the trailer my mind has just been jumbled up today the accident shook me up

Hedgemaster
03-15-2013, 10:15 PM
You can rent a truck temporarily.

Getting one with a receiver may be tricky though.

Greg'slawnandlandscape
03-16-2013, 07:22 AM
You can rent a truck temporarily.

Getting one with a receiver may be tricky though.

Ya but I can't drive a rental because of age I tried the truck was in the shop last week because a few months ago a guy pulled out his parking spot and hit me needless to say they would not give me a rental only my dad I'm calling some friends to see if I can barrow theirs

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
03-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Sorry but I have to put this out there, I know I'm not the only one thinking outloud :confused::confused:

Are you really in the business or just using this site for chat :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be a dik but come on dude !!:cool:

Greg'slawnandlandscape
03-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Sorry but I have to put this out there, I know I'm not the only one thinking outloud :confused::confused:

Are you really in the business or just using this site for chat :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be a dik but come on dude !!:cool:

No I'm not in the business I thought this was the new Facebook of course I am. Sorry for asking a honest dam question being that I need advice because my trailer is totaled and my truck has been wrecked just wanted to know if anyone else had this happen and what they did to fix it

ratchetmaster2
03-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Wow. that sounds like quite the accident. I hope you're ok.
I got rear-ended pretty hard a few months ago in my Volvo. I got hit by a big suburban and it caused a lot of damage. At least this time you're the one driving the big honking truck.

I had a real bitch of a claim. In my case, it took me 26 days to get a check for the property damage. This was in August 2012, I'm still waiting for compensation for personal injury, etc.

If the other person openly admitted fault, you should have a check for the damages in a little while. Your truck might take a while to get fixed, but 3 weeks is kinda ridiculous. If I was you, I would be crossing my fingers for the frame to be bent to get a new truck. This might be a blessing.

Pretty much here are your options:
#1: The insurance company has to get you a replacement vehicle with equal coverage. You're 16. If you were legally allowed to drive the your Suburban, then they should have to get you a replacement that you can legally drive. I know that most rental places require you to be 25 years old to drive it, but that would mean anyone under age 25 would be screwed if their car was totaled. I find that hard to believe.
So force the insurance company to get you a replacement you can legally drive. They know how to deal with these situations, it's their job.

#2: Take the rental, and drive it anyway. Don't get pulled over or get in an accident. I don't recommend it, but if you have as much riding on this as you say, then I personally would do it without hesitation. This isn't breaking the law, only breaking the policy of the rental company. Pretty much means if you get in an accident, the rental's insurance won't cover you, but you have your own insurance.

#3 Rent a trailer. U-Haul has trailers for rent for $15+/ day. Just rent one until you get a check to buy a new one. Besides, new utility trailers only cost ~$1500 where I live. Just buy one outright.

#4 borrow a truck or buy a cheap replacement. If you're THAT desperate, buy some 1990 F-150 for like $1500. I know you don't like stuff that isn't shiny brand new, but it's 23 years old, it will last you another 2 weeks.

#5 Talk to your customers reasonably. Tell them you were rear-ended. They should understand. Most adults have been in auto accidents before. Tell them something they can hold onto. Tell them 3 weeks, and mean it.

#6 Make friends with the competition for 3 weeks. Tell your customers that another service will be servicing them for the next 3 weeks. Leaves a bitter taste in your mouth, but better than your customer's lawn being 2 feet high.

Let's talk about reality for a second. You SHOULDN'T go back to work, even if you can. You ARE going to have whiplash. Today, you don't feel anything. All the adrenaline from the incident is rushing through your body, acting like a painkiller. Tomorrow morning, you're going to wake up and your neck and back are going to hurt like hell. If you haven't already, you need to go to the emergency room and get an x-ray. Or call your doctor and ask for advice. You might also want to contact a lawyer. It sounds like you got hit REALLY hard. And your neck hurts A LOT. When the insurance companies call you, tell them exactly that.

"Yes, I had my seatbelt on"
"No, I was not under the influence of alcohol or any illegal substances"

When I got hit, it took me 9 days to get approval from my doctor to go back to work. You should expect the same, if not more.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
03-17-2013, 06:55 AM
No I'm not in the business I thought this was the new Facebook of course I am. Sorry for asking a honest dam question being that I need advice because my trailer is totaled and my truck has been wrecked just wanted to know if anyone else had this happen and what they did to fix it

Asking a question is one thing but anyone that sits and reads all of your posts that you have put on here would have to ask the same question...Good luck with your BUSINESS......

SNethercutt
03-17-2013, 07:56 AM
If I was you I would look around before I made a choice. I know the 90's dodge with the Cummins are very cheap and easy to find one from a farm with a flat bed and low miles. Down here you can find them for 7,000 to 9,000 down here with low miles, 150,000 to 200,000 on a motor known the exceed 1,000,000 miles.

Hell my buddy who used to be in the business traded a lesco walk behind for one. Only thing wrong with it was the passenger door had a big dent where someone backed into it. These trucks get good fuel mileage and pulling small 16 ft and 20 ft trailers with them is a breeze.

ratchetmaster2
03-17-2013, 09:45 AM
150,000 to 200,000 on a motor known the exceed 1,000,000 miles.

The rest of the truck is still a Dodge.

SNethercutt
03-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Haha. Good one. I was giving him a cost effective solution. I drive a dodge. But if I had 60,000 to blow I would have a chevy

dpld
03-17-2013, 10:40 AM
If I was you I would look around before I made a choice. I know the 90's dodge with the Cummins are very cheap and easy to find one from a farm with a flat bed and low miles. Down here you can find them for 7,000 to 9,000 down here with low miles, 150,000 to 200,000 on a motor known the exceed 1,000,000 miles.

Hell my buddy who used to be in the business traded a lesco walk behind for one. Only thing wrong with it was the passenger door had a big dent where someone backed into it. These trucks get good fuel mileage and pulling small 16 ft and 20 ft trailers with them is a breeze.

the 90's dodge trucks with the cummins is garbage that is why they are cheap.
the motor is a good motor but the transmission is crap.

also, the cummins motor that has the reputation of lasting a million miles is not the one built for dodge it is the motor seen in the big rigs. cummins knows full well that the one they build for dodge won't need to last that long because the truck will be shot after a 100 to 200 k miles and will be sitting in the scrap yard waiting to be recycled.

you would be better served buy buying a 1980 chevy dump truck for a couple grand then buying a 90's dodge and the sad part is it would last you about 10 x's longer.

ratchetmaster2
03-17-2013, 11:13 PM
you would be better served buy buying a 1980 chevy dump truck for a couple grand then buying a 90's dodge and the sad part is it would last you about 10 x's longer.

I mean, I wouldn't go saying that. The Dodges just aren't as idiot proof as a Honda Civic or something. The automatic transmissions overheat sometimes. So put in a bigger trans cooler and an in-line filter.
The manual transmissions need the 5th gear nut welded on or something. A pain in the ***, but nothing that totals the truck.

But it IS Chrysler product..from the 90s. So, of course, it handles terribly. And of course, there are no grease fittings on front end suspension components.

Cashin H&P
03-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Greg, I think you have a good drive to work and run a company. I dont think that you are ready to run a business by your self. From the posts you put up here I think a lot of us will agree.

dpld
03-18-2013, 07:26 AM
dodge trucks have many issues and still do and they were even worse in the 90's and i had two dodges in the 90's that i bought brand new because i fell for the " their cheaper then a ford or chevy bullcrap" and the money i saved buying that garbage i lost ten fold dealing with the repair costs and lost money dealing with lost time with the truck being out of service.

speaking for myself, i don't claim to be the burning bush about all there is to know about everything but after 23 years in business and over 28 years in the trade i have seen enough and learned enough over that time from my own experiences and witnessing others in the trade as well.

i take giving advice very seriously and i am not gonna sugarcoat anything even if i got to tell someone what they don't want to hear if i feel it can save someone the trouble and spare them from finding out the hard way.

buying a piece of crap equipment can have profound negative effects on someones business especially when they are starting out and have limited resources and can not afford a back up.

being down a truck is a big deal when you own a business and i am sure the OP can attest to that now that he has a damaged truck and trailer even though it may be by no fault of his own.

losing a truck can hurt any business and it would even have a effect on mine but for me if i lose a truck i got 7 more to get the job done but if you are a small guy like the OP you are pretty much out of business until you can resolve that problem.

now that he is in the market for a truck i am suggesting he find himself a truck that will give him a better chance of moving forward with as little headaches as possible and unfortunately there is no easy way out and as the old saying goes " pay now or pay later ".

in this business you not only succeed because of how well you run your business but also on how well you keep you eyes and ears wide open and listen to people who traveled that path long before you.
the answers are out there and you don't need to have a crystal ball and find out everything on your own and everyone can learn a lot and spare themselves a lot of trouble by not only asking the questions but by listening to the answers.
you don't have to follow the advice literally but at least you can have a better clue and be more educated if you do care to listen.

dpld
03-18-2013, 07:38 AM
I mean, I wouldn't go saying that. The Dodges just aren't as idiot proof as a Honda Civic or something. The automatic transmissions overheat sometimes. So put in a bigger trans cooler and an in-line filter.
The manual transmissions need the 5th gear nut welded on or something. A pain in the ***, but nothing that totals the truck.

But it IS Chrysler product..from the 90s. So, of course, it handles terribly. And of course, there are no grease fittings on front end suspension components.

oh really, if the solution is a trans cooler and welding a nut which either is under a 100.00 repair then why would the manufacturer not do that to spare themselves the trouble of doing warranty work or gaining a bad reputation.

to top it off they all have trans coolers mine did and that was not the problem.
the motor has more torque then the trans can take and as a result it destroys the transmission.
you proved my point buy suggesting a in line filter because considering they tear all the clutches up inside the automatic transmissions instead of finding all the brass shavings inside your trans pan it will clog your filter and as a result cut off the fluid getting to the cooler further compounding the problem.

SECTLANDSCAPING
03-18-2013, 09:48 AM
That is true about the torque. If you noticed the ford C6 transmission was rated for way higher then its actually use. These transmission are still used in dragsters. With a few mods they can take 700-800 lbs of torque.

Dodge couldnt make a transmission for a minivan. No way in hell would I trust it in a truck. I would buy a honda civic flatbed in a heartbeat though.

grass guru
03-18-2013, 10:12 AM
In reference to Dodge vs Chevy, you say, "pay now, or pay later". Dont you mean pay now, or pay forever?

As far as the matter at hand of whether to buy truck or trailer. Well, I'm assuming you don't have commercial auto, and general liability. The perfect reason as to why you should, and I do. Insurance would get you a loaner truck while its fixed, or replace if totaled, and would replace your trailer.
My advice... GET THE PROPER INSURANCE!

Greg'slawnandlandscape
03-18-2013, 12:51 PM
In reference to Dodge vs Chevy, you say, "pay now, or pay later". Dont you mean pay now, or pay forever?

As far as the matter at hand of whether to buy truck or trailer. Well, I'm assuming you don't have commercial auto, and general liability. The perfect reason as to why you should, and I do. Insurance would get you a loaner truck while its fixed, or replace if totaled, and would replace your trailer.
My advice... GET THE PROPER INSURANCE!

I have proper insurance but the rental company won't let me drive it and to make matters worse it could take over a month

GreenBlue
03-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Dodge couldnt make a transmission for a minivan. No way in hell would I trust it in a truck. I would buy a honda civic flatbed in a heartbeat though.

A honda civic flatbed would be a pretty cool idea, I'm going to find one of those. LOL :D

GreenBlue
03-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Sectlandscaping,

I found your honda civic flatbed!!! :D

warbuff
03-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Sectlandscaping,

I found your honda civic flatbed!!! :D

does it come with a dump body?

jymie
03-24-2013, 07:25 PM
You could probably locate a trailer on craigslist near you.

GreenBlue
03-24-2013, 09:22 PM
does it come with a dump body?

Its already been modified, I'm sure you could modify it some more to make it that way. LOL :)

warbuff
03-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Its already been modified, I'm sure you could modify it some more to make it that way. LOL :)

I'm a big guy I don't even think I would fit in that thing lol

Greg'slawnandlandscape
04-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Here's the set up and the ramps are 4000 combined I said separate in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcqjuqhF-CM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GcqjuqhF-CM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Steve
04-08-2013, 02:39 PM
I think the trailer is gonna look good when you finish painting it. I like the color choice too. It will stand out! Keep us posted on this.

jrayb39667
04-10-2013, 10:43 PM
you say in your video that they had the bolt in the wrong hole in the jack and you switched the bolt so the jack stands straight up like it's supposed to.... the jack is designed so that when you hook it to your hitch you jack it until the pad is about 1" off the ground. Then you pull the bolt out and roll the jack into the sideways position then put the bolt back in. it's to save you from having to jack it all the way up and down each time you hook up and unhook your trailer.

ratchetmaster2
04-10-2013, 11:55 PM
you say in your video that they had the bolt in the wrong hole in the jack and you switched the bolt so the jack stands straight up like it's supposed to.... the jack is designed so that when you hook it to your hitch you jack it until the pad is about 1" off the ground. Then you pull the bolt out and roll the jack into the sideways position then put the bolt back in. it's to save you from having to jack it all the way up and down each time you hook up and unhook your trailer.

Rabies right.

Actually, IDK, I just wanted to call him Rabies.